Power Metal- The cheesiest music ever- Or exciting with excellent musicianship?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
If you were asked by a random metal polling firm representing the interests of Sanctuary records, whether you the average metal listener; found power metal to be enjoyable, exciting, chock full of excellent musicianship, and reft with spectacular and moving lyrics, or; by far the cheesiest, most overblown, repetitive metal genre ever, with the guys that wear the most ludicrous outfits ever( the puffy shirt- matched with swords); what would your answer be, and why?

My answer would be it's excellent music. It's a great alternative, especially when you are in a great mood and Opeth is a little off on what you want to listen to. All the Death Metal fans and even bands constantly bashing this style really need to see their own repetitveness.

I liked the first few helloween albums. that's all the power metal anyone needs to own. All the bands seem to just be rehashing all that was done on those albums. I'll pass on this genre.

I think it depends on the band. Some bands are great, others good in moderation, and some just plain redundantly boring.

I cant stand 98% of power metal. Something about singing about "The valley of the tower of the wizard!" doesn't appeal much to me. The only real power metal bands I really dig are Symphony X and the mighty Maiden. Oh, and Blind Guardian if I'm really drunk off my ass ;)

Gayest music EVER.

And the crowds are worse. Geeks with frilly 18th century shirts, and NOT ONE chick in the crowd! :lol

Power Metal = Caca

But I gotta admit Blind Guardian puts on a good show.

I'll take thrash, but thrash-tinged power metal is allright. I absolutely love Lefay...no cheese.

The bad ones, (read:high cheese factor) that come to mind are Force Majeure and Elvenking.:zombie:

TLs spot on...

Power metal for the most part is completely cheesey and stupid...ESPECIALLY Man-o-War and Jag Panzer...oh my god..this stuff is just plain embarrassing!

Power Metal is way to cheesy for me, but I agree, it depends on what bands fall into that category. Alot of progressive metal or "prog metal" is like this. Too much going on with the over chessy guitar solos with the harmonic dive bomb whammy bar. The singer that can sing octaves that rival Christina Agulara . Thrash / Death metal is what I'm into.

Thrashiq said:
and NOT ONE chick in the crowd! :lol

That pretty much goes for just about every show I go to. It's usually a big sausage party , seems to have always been that way with this style of music. The only females you usually see are the girlfriends of the guys that dragged them to the metal show
lol.gif
, not always the case, there are exceptions , but it's much more rare to see females at shows like this.

All the Death Metal fans and even bands constantly bashing this style really need to see their own repetitveness.

That's a very ignorant statement (no offense intended) Power metal is much, much more repetitive than death metal. Power metal is way to repetitive for me to like it (and the cheese factor! oh shit!) the only power metal band I really like is Metalium.

Well every genre has a few extremely talented ppl who forge new terriotry and don't follow trends... unfortunately the majority of bands just rehash the same old shit that's already been done before... especially power metal... but ESPECIALLY death metal! :p So no one should be pointing fingers at any particular genre.

I think this thread's question is foolish... because of course there would be some bands that were the cheesiest music ever, and others that would be exciting with excellent music... asking if the entire genre is one or the other just doesn't make sense.

i think power metal has great music, but its just too damn cheesy for me. dressing up like conan the barbarian and singing so high its like you just got kicked in the nuts about sacrificing a virgin w/ your sword of steel at the tower of whatever to the god of thunder after you slayed the dragon just doesnt do it for me. if i played lots of dungeons and dragons i might like power metal.

thebigyetti said:
i think power metal has great music, but its just too damn cheesy for me. dressing up like conan the barbarian and singing so high its like you just got kicked in the nuts about sacrificing a virgin w/ your sword of steel at the tower of whatever to the god of thunder after you slayed the dragon just doesnt do it for me. if i played lots of dungeons and dragons i might like power metal.

OMG LMFAO!!!!!!!
lol.gif

Well, things like nightwish and hammerfall and manowar suck eternal ass, but go maiden and lost horizon and primal fear!!! As for too cheesy these songs speak for the worst cheesy shit ever!!!! -

HAMMERFALL - "hearts on fire"
NIGHTWISH - "Wishmaster"

and how could we forget the worst thing ever -

TEN - "Heart like a lion"

y'know, what a bunch of crap!i mean lost horizon do sing songs about pureheart , but the power is there y'know? thats why alot of power metal bands arent power metal cos they are not powerfull, i.e - Decapitated are "death" metal and they have far more power, thinkin about it really, although maiden are one of the greatest bands ever, they arent as powerfull as so many more people , like testament!!!

I play Dungeons and Dragons...the only power metal I really like is Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Helloween, and Maiden. Manowar's fun to listen to if you don't take them seriously...Hammerfall is like "Diet Manowar." Most power metal is "meh," but there are some bands that are just WAAAAAY too fucking cheesy. Elvenking, Rhapsody...god, those bands are fucking awful. The talent of Manowar meets the balls of Dream Theater. Give me Death Angel any day.