power metal, the guilty pleasure

None_So_Vile said:
Id probably really love power metal if it wasnt for the vocals, i just really cant get myself to like them. Because of the vocals and lyrics i find it really hard to take a lot of power metal bands seriously. The only power metally band i like are Children of Bodom
I strongly recommend you some mid 90s Blind Guardian then. Check out Tokyo Tales (a live "best of", so to speak) or Imaginations From The Other Side. None of them has those high power metal vocals. Especially those on Imaginations From The Other Side are pretty rough.

Well I do love Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, both sort of semi founders of Power Metal. I enjoy Vanden Plas and Symphony X, and the first two Angra albums, other than that, I abhor the entire genre.

i love power metal, and id never lie about it. I dont like a all that many power metal bands (lots of them annoy me), but I listen to enough to love the genre.

Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Angel Dust, Demons & Wizards, Hammerfall, Helloween, Kamelot, Mercury Tide, Lost Horizon, Tarot, Secret Sphere are my favs...

I also love bands that arent really power metal, but kinda close...

Evergrey (amazing power/prog band), and Into Eternity (canadian power/death/thrash metal)

If you guys don't respect Manowar, you don't know the meaning of true metal. They are teh shiznit! I also like

Hammerfall
Iron Maiden
Dio
Rhapsody
Luca Turilli
Stratovarius
Symphony X
Narnia
Queensryche

Yeah, some of those are technically "progressive", but the lines between the two genres are pretty blurred.

I love power metal and I am not afraid to admit it. Hell I am flying form New Jersey to two festivals this year to see power metal bands. The first one being the Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles 6 Pack Weekend Part 2 in Cleveland, Ohio June 4-5. The main reason I am going is to see the mighty Grave Digger make their crushing American debut after making music for 23 long years. Other bands on the bill that determined me to go are Seven Witches, Primal Fear, and Brainstorm. There are some other great extreme, dark and traditional bands on the bill as well. The other fest I will be attending will be the almighty Prog Power in Atlanta Sept 17 and 18. This will be my first time attending the fest. It fetaures some of my favorite bands Brainstorm, Tad Morose, Kamelot, Edguy, and Savatage, I cannot wait.

Power metal is such an awesome genre and my favorite bands include - Grave Digger, Tad Morose, Running Wild, Blind Guardian, Edguy, Primal Fear, Hammerfall, Kamelot, Seven Witches, Rhapsody, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, Children Of Bodom, Dream Evil, Stratovarius, Rage, Sinner, Nightwish and many more.

Speed Metal is much better, but there's a lot of good Power Metal too. However, my favorite Power Metal bands have a lot of Speed Metal influences, so what does that tell you?

\m/POWER METAL\m/

I personally enjoy:

-Stratovarius
-Symphony X
-Evergrey
-Nightwish

There are prob others too, just can't think of them now.

Sure, I like power metal. I'd give a big HELL YEAH to Blind Guardian, Nevermore, Hammerfall, some Stratovarius, Symphony X, Nightwish, Stormwarrior, Children of Bodom, Iron Maiden, and sometimes even Thy Majestie. Sure it's cheesy, but it takes fucking SKILL to be a good musician in the genre. P.M. has some of the most talented musicians I've seen in metal.

I don't like power metal at all, its cheesy as hell and the vocals are just laughable, as are the lyrics, I mean Savatage made an album called "In the Wake of Magelin" for godsake! They made an album about sailors! And BG made an album about Lord of the Rings! I won't even get into Iced Earth's "Horror Show". The only thing remotly power metal I like is Iron Maiden, but thats different IMO

Er... and that means you do not like power metal because Iron Maiden are not remotely close to Power metal! Many would also say the lyrics of black metal or death metal are ridiculous as well... it's all in the eye of the beholder.. I find many power metal bands to have very good lyrics. look at Syphony X (Prog power, I know but power nevertheless) very intricate thematic lyrics

As probably the biggest fan of the Lord of the Rings, I must say that I am an even bigger Blind Guardian fan.

"slow down while I sail on the river"

Shit, I also forgot Iron Maiden and Dio. Nothing can get better then taking a bubble bath and listening to Rainbow in the Dark, its very uplifting.

Well the lyrics are about as cheesy as any other metal really... Gore, satanism, ....bleh...pure fantasy. It does nothing for me but make me laugh. And I do not embrace the MAiden/Priest lineage theories of metal. Don't even through the gothenburg parallels this way.

None_So_Vile said:
Id probably really love power metal if it wasnt for the vocals, i just really cant get myself to like them. Because of the vocals and lyrics i find it really hard to take a lot of power metal bands seriously. The only power metally band i like are Children of Bodom

Can you take black metal seriously? Because most black metal is a lot cheesier (lyrically) than Power Metal.