Power Metal

TvNewsShooter

New Metal Member
May 27, 2003
Spokane, Wa.
Visit site
I've listened to Dream Theater for a couple years now (also Disturbed, Megadeth, old school Metallica, Static-X, Pantera, Rush, Queensryche, Etc.) And was looking for something similar to Theater to check out. I was told about Symphony X (classified as power metal i'm told) and bought a couple CD's. I love the technical aspects of both bands but am looking for something with a little more teeth. Not talking lyrics about ripping heads off of babys or raping your mother, just not really into all the fantasy shit. I'm a drummer at heart so it's very important that the drummer knows and uses his kit. Love the off time beats that progressive is known for. Shreading guitars but can be melodic at times too. A singer that sings not screams or growls. Also I could do without the "movie soundtrack music" and very little or no keyboards. Any Progressive or Power Metal bands worth a listen?

Spiral Architect and WatchTower (SA in particular) should fit your melodic progressive/technical needs. As far as just some down to earth power/heavy metal goes I'd recommend Rage (Black In Mind, Unity, or Trapped!) and you would also like Savatage (Dead Winter Dead, Gutter Ballet, or Hall of the Mountain King) as well as Tad Morose (Undead or Matters of the Dark).

for the proggy side of power check out symphony x, labyrinth, liquid tension project... they arent my thing but my guitarist loves that stuff.

to me, there are only 2 power metal bands that matter. blind guardian and manowar. nothing else matters
~gR~

Screw all that shit. Just get a Winds CD. Not power metal, but so much better than anything else mentioned in this thread (besides maybe Rush, and Spiral Architect isn't bad or anything). I mean, there're a lot of keys, but it's not happy pirate shit. Also, decent drumming (the drummer's best work is in Arcturus), no growling but the vocalist seems a little reluctant about his voice, and awesome guitars. Very serious and laid back. And no goddamned lyrics about dragons. Only Dio should be allowed to do "fantasy" lyrics. Dio is the master of that shit.

Also try Sham Mirrors by Arcturus. Totally keyboard driven, but they're so great. The keyboard player writes all the music and the keys are the backbone of the music. Not something used to simply embellish anything. Download Kinetic or Star Crossed. Superior in every way to any other metal band on the planet.

Also, I don't know how well they fit into the prog/power mold (I find the idea of sub-labeling music rediculous), but you should check out Devin Townsend and Maudlin of the Well too.

If you don't mind giddy music try Nightwish too. Female lead opera vocals and they're a bit too synth happy, but they do it well.

Symphony X doesn't have many songs that deal with dragons and such. In fact the only few I can think of is The Accolade, The Accolade II, and In the Dragon's Den...

Download the song "Through the Looking Glass" by Symphony X...

Also check out Iced Earth...

Ol' Dirty Bastard said:
Screw all that shit. Just get a Winds CD. Not power metal, but so much better than anything else mentioned in this thread (besides maybe Rush, and Spiral Architect isn't bad or anything)..

i agree 100%... screw all this shit, most (imo) power metal sux... and winds fucking rules!!!..

Try Nevermore, Gardenian or Arch Enemy... its not progresive, but amazing drummers on each of this bands.

I'm only into a small amount of power metal and I can recommend Blind Guardian, Avantasia, Luca Turilli's solo work, Sonata Arctica. If you like theatrical type metal you should listen to Nightwish as well, even though they aren't theatrical, there is something about that band that is incredible.

yes, the ONLY power metal band I ever thought was worth listening to was Blind Guardian..other than that everything else just got on my nerves..even BG begins to after a while.