Power metal???

for the people out there who know nothing about metal genre's..ie.. ME.. Can anyone explain to me what "progressive metal" really is.. i have an idea in my head but honestly dont really know.

Progressive metal is a term mostly used to describe bands that have several styles under their belt. Odd time signatures, plenty of tempo and time sig. changes, proficient musicians and the bands tend to progress (change) quite a bit from album to album. I would say progressive metal is one of the most vague terms on metal right now. Maybe someone can explain this better than me.

SilentRealm said:
for the people out there who know nothing about metal genre's..ie.. ME.. Can anyone explain to me what "progressive metal" really is.. i have an idea in my head but honestly dont really know.

Progressive metal is metal that has very strong influence from prog bands from the 70s (Yes, genesis, Rush, ELP, King Crimson, Kansas are a few) then...well, puts heaviness in it ;). Also the songs tend to be really long with lots of "technically difficult" passages and time signature changes, and are pretty complex, and usually have influences from everything from jazz, classical, blues, pop, etc. The best out there right now is Pain of Salvation. They are extremely unique and NO ONE else sounds like them. Dream Theater is the most popular. SyX gets thrown in into this genre a lot too but personally, they've got too much of a straight ahead metal and neoclassical side for them to be just prog (so I just call em what Inside Out calls em - Symphonic Metal, makes sense that Symphony X would play Symphonic metal, eh? ;))

I think thats her , Ultimate.
A perfect explination of what prog metal is = Images and Words. Own it even if yo don't like it! It is a rule to have it!!! (j/k)

power metal can be described as the form of metal that stays to the crystalization period of heavy metal (sabbath, iron maiden, judas priest, etc.) but in modern times it is called power metal due to the numerous sub genres of metal (death, thrash, black, power (the big four), speed, progressive, goth, metalcore, symphonic, astral, doom, and many more to come.).

i hope i answered your question.

- Izan Montenegro

It's a good question. The word powermetal doesn't really describe it. However it has that name now for the initiated. A better name is Melodic Metal. Epic Metal. Something like that. A lot of power metal bands tend to be technically brilliant players as well, it attracts those who were musically inclined prior to being a metal fan, so its a prog genre really. The power metal and prog metal kids are the ones who when learning to play guitar as a kid, didn't give up on learning surfing with the alien, and persisted to become what they really wanted to do, rather than quitting and instead of buying a 7 string ibanez joining the djenting kids that diss power metal musos that can sing, can play solos et al.. From power metal springs a great deal of other genres, female fronted, a lot of the Swedish Death metal bands have very obvious powermetal influence in their styles of writing.