Power Quest - December UK Shows

Kingface

Oct 18, 2009
Chesterfield, England, UK
Thought I'd collect my views and thoughts on seeing Power Quest at their two recent UK shows and put them into one convenient thread!

For those who can't wait and want to see the setlists now, here are the links:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/power-quest/2012/the-hairy-dog-derby-england-7bda6e34.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/power...club-kingston-upon-hull-england-7bda6e28.html

Derby - Five bands played. Social Genocide were first, Deathcore/Metalcore I would describe them based on how they sounded. Only caught the last two or three songs but not my cup of tea.

Next band Hellrazor were an improvement and got the crowd going a bit more with their Thrash Metal. Fast and frantic riffing was accompanied by fast, high quality drumming, the latter of which is easily the most impressive aspect of this band. The song "Bang Your Head" in particular encouraged crowd participation.

The quality stepped up another gear once again when DreamCatcher made their way onto the stage. These guys play a very enjoyable and unique brand of Melodic, Progressive and Symphonic Metal. Their influences are plentiful and this is clearly reflected in the Music they play. Compelling stuff and I must listen to their album more!

Just before the main event there is Airstryke and these guys certainly seem to have improved since the last time I saw them live. More confident and more professional without losing their fun glam rock vibe, these guys can play and have an album full of catchy, compelling songs that gets the crowd participating and having fun. A perfect way to get the crowd ready for what was to come.

...and then came Power Quest! There's no messing around from them, Steve gets on his Keyboards and we're hearing the intro of 'For Evermore'! It's one thing for a band to play a song they've never played live but to open with it?! Brilliant stuff! As they belt out hit after hit, it is clear how tight they are playing, how much fun they are having and how bloody good musicians they are!

PQ's setlists always emphasise variety and this case was no different, providing a perfect mix of the faster songs, the slower songs and the more progressive songs. At least one song is played from each album, with the fantastic 'Galaxies Unknown' also making its live debut.

PQ were without Andy Midgley for this show (this was also the case for the Hull show) but this doesn't stop them from sounding anything short of outstanding, with Gav playing as technically amazingly well and as confident as ever.

The entire crowd appears to loving every moment (I certainly did!) with plenty of singing, clapping, fist-pumping and Headbanging, so to suit this mood perfectly, PQ end their set with 'Neverworld', followed by 'Wings of Forever'. I found I enjoyed myself so much it almost literally felt like it lasted five minutes! I guess that's when you can tell it's been a great night!

I will give my thoughts on Metieval Winterfest in a later post, most likely tomorrow. In the meantime, here's a cool photo I got from the Derby show:

12036_10152337429585153_2007451327_n.jpg

To see all the photos I took for the Derby show: http://s832.beta.photobucket.com/user/dfftw5/library/Facebook/Power QuestAirstrykeDreamCatcher-1

Holy shit those setlists! Wow. Alessio on vocals for Temple of Fire & more! A dream come true :kickass:

Would have given anything to be there especially for opening with "Forever more"! There's no forgetting them opening keys. But I'm even more excited about "Galaxies Unknown" getting an airing. I may have even suggested that one at some point it's just one of the many high points of MND.

Was Gav just playing on his own then? Also any pictures/videos from the Hull show? I have to witness Alessio!

Okie doke, here's my Metieval Winterfest review:

Metieval Winterfest - This was an extremely cool and unique event, a full day of Metal bands covering various Sub-Genres, with Special Guests Salem (the NWOBHM band) and headlined by the mighty Power Quest!

The Venue was The Piper Club in Hull, a nightclub in a popular student area of the City. The event started at 12pm, ran until past Midnight and all for the absolute bargain price of £10!

Most of the bands were local and there was plenty of variety on offer, some being better than others. Elliot Vernon (Keyboard Player of Alestorm) was around the whole day (he is from Hull it turns out!), chatting to him was really cool and it turned out that he was in one of the bands that played on Bass Guitar!

The band in question was Ravenage and they put on one of the more impressive sets of the day, with their brand of Folk Metal. Elliot also played a Flute intro for one of the songs.

Another band that I particularly enjoyed were Infernal Creation, a Black Metal band. They actually had what sounded like a possibly well-known Bass player of the genre, but I unfortunately couldn't make out which band the Vocalist said he was from!

Just before Power Quest, Salem put on a great performance. Throughout the day, the crowd gave all the bands encouraging but at the same time, somewhat reserved receptions (that probably makes it sound worse than it was, but I'm struggling to describe it accurately). I thought this might step up a bit for Salem, but unfortunately it did not.

Still, they got lots of applause and appreciation and I really enjoyed their brand of NWOBHM, with the two Guitarists in particular clearly being very accomplished. I did intend to buy their Limited Edition EP they had for sale at the show, but unfortunately they were not around after PQ's set.

Delays and problems with getting set up etc meant Power Quest came on about 15 minutes later than scheduled and unfortunately had to drop a couple of songs from their set. This didn't stop their performance from being at least as incredible as they were in Derby two nights prior and with the incredibly awesome spectacle of having Alessio Garavello join them for a good portion of the songs!

It was great to see Alessio do the Vocals for songs such as Temple of Fire, but perhaps even more impressive were the songs where he and Colin sang together. Whilst crowd reactions were still a tad on the reserved side for my liking, PQ no doubt just got that little more loudness in applause and appreciation than other bands did throughout the day.

A fantastic end to a fantastic weekend for me!

Here's a photo of Alessio and Colin signing together:

196034_10152343214180153_807041850_n.jpg

The rest of the Photos I took from this Event can be viewed here: http://s832.beta.photobucket.com/user/dfftw5/library/Facebook/Metieval Winterfest

Due to the nature of Andy's job in retail at this time of year, he was unable to secure the necessary time off I'm afraid dude :-(

I work for a well known electrical goods retailer (the one that hasn't gone into administration :p), so I know just what it's like trying to get time off for Christmas. I have two days this year, woohoo! :kickass: