Power Quest Live shows 2011

All touring activities come down to two things.

1. Demand - There need to be promoters in each territory wanting to book the band, which in itself is motivated by the profile of the band and people creating the need for promoters to book.

2. Finance - The costs of touring as astronomical these days and any deals that are agreed need to take into account travel costs (including transportation of equipment, vehicle hire and fuel , driver fees, visas, road taxes etc), catering, accomodation even before you get to the actualy performance fee.

In the case of tours where you are supporting bigger bands......you may well have to "buy on" to the tour which means paying, in my experience, anything between £200 and £800 per show for the privilege of being on the bill. In this scenario you also do not get a fee for performing either.

If you are not selling enough records then the record companies will not put up "tour support" money which basically means the band has to fund the whole venture. That leaves you relying on merchandise sales, which is not guaranteed when opening for bigger bands...particularly in the current economic climate where people may only be able to afford to buy on t-shirt or CD at a show. In my experience the majority of people will buy a shirt by the headline act, as that is the band they paid their money to see.

It's a very tricky business these days........

Wow. Holy crap. Sounds like it's not worth touring at all then? Even in the UK? WIth all these things you have to pay for? I mean, there's also little to no revenue at all.

It seems kind of silly to me that the record company won't put up tour support money if you aren't selling CDs. Wouldn't it only make sense for the company to help you out in that way, by giving you tour support money to go out and actually get the band's name out there? :erk:

That's the catch22 really isn't it? But you have to remember that if they have bands who are selling, it's probably easier to generate more sales for an already successful band than it is for a band who is relatively less successful sales wise

See, this is where us fanboys come in. Let's just import the albums from Japan, wear the shirts, spread the word (online as well as IRL), write reviews and - perhaps most importantly - hit all the PQ falsettos at just the right moment, prompting people to go: What the fuck was that? followed by Where can I get me some of that sweet double bass arpeggio laden sonic madness? :kickass:

and - perhaps most importantly - hit all the PQ falsettos at just the right moment, prompting people to go: What the fuck was that? followed by Where can I get me some of that sweet double bass arpeggio laden sonic madness? :kickass:

Haha! :lol:

It seems kind of silly to me that the record company won't put up tour support money if you aren't selling CDs.
I agree with this as well... kind of unfair for the less successful bands like Power Quest

(sorry if this offends you that I call your band less successful, just couldn't find a different term for this...)

Fingers crossed for a Wacken 2011 booking.

Ooh This would be really really awesome if PQ would come to wacken :D Im checking everyday for a update and every day i hope to read : Power Quest comfirmend Wacken 2011"

Pretty much the only band i still really want to see , come to the Netherlands:D would make me happy its close by :p hehehe ( even knowing that the finance is really hard atm these days) ill keep hoping:D

Saw Nile at Redemption in Derby last night and I have to say it's the first gig I've been to where there's been no barrier! It was very bizarre and kinda a cool and unique experience all the same.

I always thought that nowdays having a barrier (bearing in mind it's not the smallest place in the world) for shows was a Mandatory Heath & Safety Requirement? For example, there was blatently plenty of drink spilt near amps last night. If it'd come into enough contact with Wires or Amps, it could've started a fire!

Anyway, would be interesting to see Power Quest with the same setup!

Most concerts I've been to have had a barrier, but it's either A) been placed right up against the stage so it doesn't really do much, or B) the audience literally picked the barrier up and pushed it towards the stage because it was a quickly assembled, not-bolted-to-the-ground mess.

Then again, others I've been to have had no barrier... which was awesome in its own way!