Pre Amp for Vocals.

benjy

Jun 8, 2012
I have been browsing the forum looking for opinions on pre amps and have not found anything very up to date. I am looking for a solid pre amp for mostly screaming vocals. My budget is around $500. I'm currently using an at4050 and a Nuemann KMS 105 (mostly the nuemann) I am borrowing a symetrix 528 and like it but need something for myself and later projects. Would you recommend the 528 or can I get something better? Thanks!

Do you have a 500 rack? I have a pair of the Rupert Neve 511's and love em...

BAE 1073MP !!!!!

As far as I love BAE stuff, I doubt the op could get one for 500$...

Anyway, for vocal I go with 1073, isa 110/215 or Amek CIB (can be found for kinda cheap, and the comp/eq work great on lead vox put as a finisher during mixing stage).

So go with a CIB;)

I've heard grea things about the great river. Problem is my budget is around $500. So as much as I would like some of outer recommendations I can't get them.

Go for an upgraded GAP73 or a GAP73 DLX. Fits your budget and sounds really sweet if you push them hard enough.

I used to have a GAP-73 with Carnhill transformer upgrades.
As much as I tried, I never really liked it and sold it after two years.
It seemed cloudy and sluggish to me and not in a good vintage vibey way.
To each his own I guess.

Now I have API 512c's which I really really love and an Avedis MA5 which is great on vocals and acoustic.
Unfortunately, they are both out of your budget.
Maybe you should check the Warm Audio clone of the API?

Line 6 UX2 m8, get redy 4 f0r a fat mix, get bints.

Or ...

SPL goldmike? If you are doing "mostly" screams but some clean too, works for meh!

D00d gimme ur joey strugis m4t3l pr3set for da bro0tz on mai podtone ima get signed to rise recordz wit my br00t4ln3szz
Anyways borrowed an ISA one really like it. The warm audio look pretty sick but It will be kind of hard for me to snag. Ill def check the spl. Thanks for all the recommendations! I've got a bit of researching to do.