Presonus Bluetube DP vs NI Komplete Audio 6 buil-in preamps

Andrew_Anakin

Shokran - Exodus soon...
Hello guys! I have bought Shure SM7B a year ago and as it's really quiet, i've decided to buy a preamp. I've had a little amount of cash so i've bought Presonus Bluetube DP.
And from the first using of Presonus i disliked it. It made my signal more noisy then if i record right into my soundcard Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6.

Now i've made a little check.
I have a vocal cabin, outside of which i've put my Nokia phone and played Nokia Tune Through it and recorded it, so i have a huge amount of noise which i can compare. Then i turned the gain of each other to make the tune sound the same so you can hear the difference of the noise.
First part-Mic-Preamp (Gain +40) - Line in (which hasn't a knob to turn the gain) of my NI6.
Second Part-Mic-NI6 (Gain +30 i guess)
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8kwsfnl4pp2wkuz/NI vs Bluetube DP.mp3

I don't know, maybe i'm doing something wrong or NI preamp is really way better then the BT one?

P.S. It's the sound from the second channel of BT. The first one is WAAAAY more Dirty then even this!!!

Those Presonus tube pres are just super noisy garbage. Lol
They're useful if you want to use that distortion as an effect, but other than that I'm not much of a fan

Those Presonus tube pres are just super noisy garbage. Lol
They're useful if you want to use that distortion as an effect, but other than that I'm not much of a fan

Maybe! But many people says it is a good cheap preamp so i trusted them))
And yeah, i don't use that distortion, just wanted to push more vocals and make background noises more quiet.

I have often used the bluetube pres, bypassing the focusrite saffire 14 ones for example, and they did a very honest job. the sound has improved in fullness and clarity.

I have often used the bluetube pres, bypassing the focusrite saffire 14 ones for example, and they did a very honest job. the sound has improved in fullness and clarity.

Then i don't know, maybe my tube was old or what. But i can't ask for the support in an official presonus website cause i don't know "Purchase date" Which this site is asking. Cause i've bought this one from the ebay.

I also had a very bad experience with Bluetube preamps. I bought one several years back and the tone was awful, noise was high, and the overall character of the pres just plain sucked (My Behringer Eurodesk from back then had better pres... and better by a lot). I sold it within a week.

You'll be hard pressed to beat those Komplete preamps unless you step it up a bit. I'd look at the GAP or Warm Audio. Otherwise, I don't see where you'd be stepping up in quality at all. I have the Komplete and like the pres just fine. The two I mentioned will give you more gain I think. Useful for an sm7 or a ribbon mic.

You'll be hard pressed to beat those Komplete preamps unless you step it up a bit. I'd look at the GAP or Warm Audio. Otherwise, I don't see where you'd be stepping up in quality at all. I have the Komplete and like the pres just fine. The two I mentioned will give you more gain I think. Useful for an sm7 or a ribbon mic.

Thank you! I'll take a look on them!