Primordial

Cheers for one of the members for wearing a "Drudkh" shirt afterwards. Never thought I would see one at Progpower.
I totally missed that. Drudkh is hands down my favorite BM band.

I would recommend either "To The Nameless Dead" or "The Gathering Wilderness" as a starting point, but there's not really a bad album in their catalog. Their debut "Imrama" isn't quite at the level of the rest of their work, and I feel like their most recent "Redemption at the Puritan's Hand" isn't quite as intense as the rest of their work.
This. Similarly, I typically recommend To the Nameless Dead, followed by The Gathering Wilderness.

I didn't care for the singer's attitude in some ways, but I definitely enjoyed what part of their set I was able to see. Not a man, a band, or an experience for the weak of heart or mind, that's for sure.
I've had a number of opportunities to chat with him over the years. He speaks with more conviction than anyone I know. I think that can be off-putting, as it's quite atypical. And in his own words, he's completely orthodox about Metal and doesn't much care if people are offended by that.

My personal highlight of the festival was sitting in their dressing room behind closed doors after the set. Alan proceeded to tell me how much they thought the fest was going to suck ass and that they were completely blown away by everything. They will have nothing but good things to say to everyone once they get back.

After explaining "what the fuck is up with the shirt," we then drank cheap whiskey together out of paper cups and empty Newcastle bottles.

My personal highlight of the festival was sitting in their dressing room behind closed doors after the set. Alan proceeded to tell me how much they thought the fest was going to suck ass and that they were completely blown away by everything. They will have nothing but good things to say to everyone once they get back.
He kept saying how the whole thing seemed more like a convention, and that he quite liked the whole thing.

After explaining "what the fuck is up with the shirt," we then drank cheap whiskey together out of paper cups and empty Newcastle bottles.
Awesome.

I never thought about it that much, but ProgPower is kind of like a "convention" in more ways than a typical metal festival. The music is still the highlight, but I know about 20 people at PPUSA for every 1 person I've met at every other fest or show, which is a big reason I come back each year.

Keeping it on Primordial, I'm glad to see they impressed people outside their chosen genre. There's something about real intensity and integrity that will leave a lasting impression on ANYONE I think.

When I went down to the Charlotte NC show there were maybe a solid 50 people watching Primordial and a lot of empty space behind the crowd. They were awesome at that one, but the difference between that one and ProgPower on Friday was like night and day.

What do you think the max was during the Charlotte show? I'm guessing maybe around 125-150 before the crowd petered out, but then again, about 1/5 of that was bands/crew.

The biggest surprise from their set for me was how much my mom loved them. After their set she immediately went to buy a shirt and cd. She was also first in line for their meet and greet on saturday.

This is fucking awesome. Best sentence I've read from all XIII postmortems, having some familiarity with the personalities on both sides of the conversation.

Primordial landed on my to-buy list as soon as I caught their set last weekend. Thanks for the album recommendations, guys. Reckon I'll start with Nameless Dead.

I love this festival.

- Chris

He already posted very complimentary comments about PPUSA on his Facebook profile. :kickass:

We were backstage with Jen when you texted her from the dressing room. Priceless! :D

That song about the coffin ships ... that intro speech, that outro "that's real." ... that whole 8 or so minutes gave me chills.

"That was fantasy. This is reality."
I'm half-Irish, so it gave me goosebumps.

Also loved the deliberate lack of front lighting to set their mood.

Actually it was a bit darker than Alan was expecting; he had just asked for no flashing lights or similar craziness and they got...near darkness. From the frowny expressions of the photogs, I could tell it would be, as they say, a "difficult shoot."

Primordial was one of those bands who I was really looking forward, and my good lord, it was beyond amazing. The atmosphere, the feeling, the passion in the music. I have not experienced anything like it. After finishing a very perplexing shoot (all of the photographers for the first two songs were like "lol wat do we do") and sitting down, it only took 2 songs for me to pass off my camera and rejoin the floor. I've never done that for any band. Ever.

Okay, "perplexing" works too. :)

Anyway, long story short: Primoridal +10 fandom. And that whole "this is real, not fantasy" - A dig? Yes, probably, but I think he said it to make a point, too. I think he wanted the people who were listening to understand the gravity of the song and what it represented.

It certainly had his desired effect. I was in awe. Still am.

Nathan B. and I had the privilege of watching from in front of the barricade and we were both half-hiding behind the stage-right monitor wedges. Alan was THAT intense. And scary. :)

It was one of those sets I regret not having the ability to be up close and personal for the entirety. Consider me jealous.

Oh, I dunno. I was getting droplets of...something...falling from Alan. Sweat? Corpsepaint? Blood? All three?

Afterward I wasn't sure if I should shower immediately, preserve his DNA for future generations, or report to a hospital because of possible blood-borne pathogens. :lol:

Oh, I dunno. I was getting droplets of...something...falling from Alan. Sweat? Corpsepaint? Blood? All three?

Afterward I wasn't sure if I should shower immediately, preserve his DNA for future generations, or report to a hospital because of possible blood-borne pathogens. :lol:

Should have found a way to do all 3.

I thought Alan was awesome, and talking to him was one of the weekend's highlights. While I don't always agree with him regarding music (though I respect his 100% conviction), we liked enough of the same things to have some pretty cool conversations. Anyone who can talk intelligently about H.P. Lovecraft and then tell personal stories about Phil Lynott is aces in my book.

Oh! And Primordial's show was awesome. Really raised their profile in my book.