Printing drum samples question

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Just curious how you guys print drum samples. The way I do it is probably not the best way. Usually I'll set up SSD or whatever, a full kit, then solo out the drum I want to print one at a time. If it's toms for instance, I'll solo the first tom, pan it center, and bounce it. Then I'll import it, put any processing on it and continue this sequence with the rest. What do you do?

Yeah you're doing it the hard way. Not sure about SSD, but I'm sure it has to have a multi output function. I typically use trigger on individual drums. Make new audio tracks, set their input to a bus. Set the trigger tracks output to that same bus. Hit record. All tracks done in one pass with no importing.

Yeah you're doing it the hard way. Not sure about SSD, but I'm sure it has to have a multi output function. I typically use trigger on individual drums. Make new audio tracks, set their input to a bus. Set the trigger tracks output to that same bus. Hit record. All tracks done in one pass with no importing.

So a separate bus for every drum? I guess I'll try it.

Yeah. You're importing separate tracks anyway, right? How I do it if I'm in superior: Make 6 or 8 new audio tracks. In superior, set the output of each drum to its own superior buss. Name my new audio tracks and set their input to the corresponding superior bus. Hit record.

Maybe I can find a youtube video.

Here you go:

Just add audio tracks instead of aux, and hit record! All done at once.... that should save you at least 45 min per song dude.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure right now, as I don't do midi drums in PT, but I seem to recall that I ran into some troubles printing them that way when I tried it in PT...meaning multioutput, routing to busses, recording those busses.
Something with the delay compensation and trigger...not recalling it 100%, but I'd take a look at that

Interesting... yeah I'll look into it. Is there an easy way to add and delete busses in PT?

not sure if i understand your problem but you don't have to create busses i think. You just create the amount of audio tracks you need and then select input->plugin-> ssd channel

not sure if i understand your problem but you don't have to create busses i think. You just create the amount of audio tracks you need and then select input->plugin-> ssd channel

Oh, that would be much easier. I remember checking the I/O menu and it was a bit complicated, I was afraid of fucking up the whole session's busses.

I create midi for shells. Then route them to the sampler and have each drum output to its own aux return so I can forever change sounds.

The SSD tutorial for Pro Tools will give you an idea how to do it. But things can get a little tight, if you dont understand it properly. The routing in PT is simple. As mentioned, you have 1 instrument track where your midi is on, (which in my case is the kick), after that i add 10 or 11 aux channels (dont remember exactly how many), you then route the input of each aux channel to the desired "instrument" which is held in SSD/Kontakt Player. After you´ve routed the snare, tom 1-3, cymbals LR, china, rooms etc etc etc, create as many AUDIO channels as aux channels, in that case lets stick to 11. Here´s the thing: The OUTPUT of every aux track (including the instrument track), is given its own BUS. Then simply go to your AUDIO tracks and give each INPUT the bus you want the desired instrument on. Check your levels going in, make sure they´re not too hot, and hit record.
Works like a beauty for me when using midi drums :)
Hope i (we) could help you out man.

The SSD tutorial for Pro Tools will give you an idea how to do it. But things can get a little tight, if you dont understand it properly. The routing in PT is simple. As mentioned, you have 1 instrument track where your midi is on, (which in my case is the kick), after that i add 10 or 11 aux channels (dont remember exactly how many), you then route the input of each aux channel to the desired "instrument" which is held in SSD/Kontakt Player. After you´ve routed the snare, tom 1-3, cymbals LR, china, rooms etc etc etc, create as many AUDIO channels as aux channels, in that case lets stick to 11. Here´s the thing: The OUTPUT of every aux track (including the instrument track), is given its own BUS. Then simply go to your AUDIO tracks and give each INPUT the bus you want the desired instrument on. Check your levels going in, make sure they´re not too hot, and hit record.
Works like a beauty for me when using midi drums :)
Hope i (we) could help you out man.

what do you need the aux channels for? isn't that making things a little more complicated if you want to print the tracks anyways?
but whatever, i think JayB can choose the method he prefers out of all those suggested haha

what do you need the aux channels for? isn't that making things a little more complicated if you want to print the tracks anyways?
but whatever, i think JayB can choose the method he prefers out of all those suggested haha

Nah man. Not a bit! That whole process (mind the printing) doesnt take more than a couple of minutes. The aux and instrument channel/s (in PT) get deleted anyway after the printing is completed.

^^^ If you're deleting the aux tracks anyway, you DEFINITELY don't need them. That's just adding an extra input and output to everything.... You can assign the input of an audio track the same as any aux track, so why do twice the work and delete them? It'll go even quicker if you just make AUDIO tracks, hit record, print, and then you don't have to delete anything.

In the Slate video the dude makes 1 stereo instrument track for SSD and then 7 aux tracks and routes them.

Yeah, that's if you're JUST MIXING through separate tracks. If you're PRINTING, YOU DON"T NEED THE DAMN AUX's!!!!!!

Although, it certainly won't hurt anything to have them in there before the audio tracks. if you wanted to route them to auxs, then mix and process or whatever, THEN print, you could. but even then I'd probably print the raw samples so I wasn't married to processing. Yeah any way I think of it, if you're PRINTING, aux tracks are useless.

Hey guys here's a quick suggestion for Pro Tools users running SSD4. As you might know Pro Tools only allows 8 virtual inputs from an instrument track which is not enough for each kit piece in SSD4, I simply pan any mono source (kick, snare top and bottom, toms, cymbal spots) hard left and right, then print, then split the stereo tracks to mono so I can print everything out in one pass.