pro skydancer songs live

Originally posted by rahvin @wildfyr: in the remote chance you're actually expecting an answer, i'd say that while dt have next to no voice in deciding where they're going to play, they surely can choose their setlist themselves. moreover, there are 7 albums one could "whine" about liking to hear live, but there are +800 millions cities in this world one could "whine" about wanting to see dt in. :p[/B]

thanks. answers are not expected but they are certainly welcome.

re: whine/whining. i'm a connoisseur fine whines. i tasted your first post and spat it back out. :D :puke:

i suppose i could try to argue that whining is whining regardless, but i won't. i don't feel like getting into it. instead, perhaps we should discuss why (we think) some bands don't include certain songs in their set lists anymore, or ever? as Ormir has pointed out it was possible that Shadow Duet could have been played on the last U.S. tour, and in 1999 for that matter. possible, however not a reality. possible, but not probable?

why?

i've posed similar questions on the In Flames forum in the past and have received some interesting responses. i think the last time this sort of thing came up the issue was acoustic parts not being performed live.

in short, i noticed you're still not getting over having been told you were whining (not by me, btw), but i assure you it's like me being a dwarf: in time you'll get used to it. :D

rahvin.

what's this about getting over something? was there some mountain i needed to scale? my whine's been effective, i don't need to get over anything. =)

<WHINE>Uhhh...PLAY SHADOW DUET DAMMIT!</WHINE>

heh. yeah right. ;-)

Originally posted by wildfyr
instead, perhaps we should discuss why (we think) some bands don't include certain songs in their set lists anymore, or ever?

no way. i won't stand and watch while you turn this my thread from the pointless idiotic whining place it was to any sensible and down-to-earth enlightening discussion, missus! :heh:

seriously now, i guess there are at least a couple reasons:

1. complexity: skydancer songs are longer and more elaborate in structure. it is certainly harder to practice and play them with a decent amount of success.

2. opportunity: in a dt show crowd, there are perhaps 100 hardcore fans and 200 occasiona listeners who would not recognise/appreciate hearing old songs they're maybe not very fond of.

3. band line-up: since skydancer was released most band members from back then either changed their role in the band or were replaced. perhaps the current line-up does not easily allow to pick up the older songs again.

i don't particularly agree with the solidity of any of these reasons, though, hence my constant complaining. ;)

rahvin.

Am I the only one that have heard Shadow Duet live? With both Stanne and Friden? :D

AND I´d like to hear Away, delight, away! (I know, I know, not a skydancer song, don´t throw the apples again guys!...:D )

-phyros (just had to bring that one up again :p )

Originally posted by Phyros
Am I the only one that have heard Shadow Duet live? With both Stanne and Friden? :D

AND I´d like to hear Away, delight, away! (I know, I know, not a skydancer song, don´t throw the apples again guys!...:D )

-phyros (just had to bring that one up again :p )

what ?????when where why>????
you lucky bastard tell us about this unique happening

what the fark? complain 'til your heart's content. it worked for me. ;-) ok, rahve, i'll join your crusade. while we're groveling i'd like to add a vote for the addition of Beyond Enlightenment to the live sets. that would certainly guarantee eargasms. :D

gee, i hope that wasn't some sort of insult.

seriously now, i guess there are at least a couple reasons:

1. complexity: skydancer songs are longer and more elaborate in structure. it is certainly harder to practice and play them with a decent amount of success.

2. opportunity: in a dt show crowd, there are perhaps 100 hardcore fans and 200 occasiona listeners who would not recognise/appreciate hearing old songs they're maybe not very fond of.

3. band line-up: since skydancer was released most band members from back then either changed their role in the band or were replaced. perhaps the current line-up does not easily allow to pick up the older songs again.

i don't particularly agree with the solidity of any of these reasons, though, hence my constant complaining. ;)

rahvin. [/B]
i agree. Numbers 1 & 3 are lame-o excuses. Number two, plausible.

complexity - huh? are you telling us that they can't play some of their own tunes?! :lol: :interesting:
length - fact: shadow duet (7:06)/A Bolt of Blazing Gold (7:15). they're not THAT long. although it's understood that as an opening act with less time to play, two other songs would most likely need to be sacrificed. however, if the line-up is present on the tour, why the farkin' hell NOT do it? :guh: who knows. who knows why Anders wouldn't sign The Minds I CD booklet when i asked him to in 2000, either? :err:

(things that make you go hmmm)

@wildfyr: maybe his hand hurt or something. :rolleyes:
see, i'm not saying they'd be having difficulty playing their own tunes, but admittedly if you don't practice playing a long and complex song for a few years you might end up being clumsy about it when doing it on stage. my solution to this is they concentrate on just one song off skydancer and try it out again while rehearsing for some time before the tour starts.

rahvin.

uhh no, i don't think so. :rolleyes:
skyofdarkflames.jpg

:)

your latest petition for a Skydancer tune sounds reasonable to me, rahve. i'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. you folks in the Euro sector are still the #1 DT fans. no doubt they'll be more than happy to show their appreciation and give you preferential treatment. :D

as for the rest of us over here in the evil empire, if we are ever graced with their presence again i guess we'll get what we get and have to like it. heh, that reminds me of the scene in Caddyshack when the judge tells his nephew, Spaulding: "you'll get nothing and like it!" :lol:

welp, good luck in your crusade!

@wildfyr: thank you! but i wasn't soliciting any preferential behaviour. i'm not expecting dt to listen to our pleas, at least not right away: i was thinking about some point in the future. a point encompassing the states too, of course. ;)

rahvin.

ok, i'm with you then. one Skydancer tune please. :)

hey, waitaminute, you are in Italy! get them a shitload of Sambuca!! it might work. although, make sure to get both kinds and label the clear "white noise" and the black "black silence" :lol:
oh man, i wish i'd have done that. :erk:

id like to see . away delight away, of chaos an eternal night, nightfall by the shore of time or shadow duet live. i was hoping that they would have played shadow duet on the in flames tour it would have been cool to see anders & mikael singing together.

starting from most likely to appear going down: (personal view only, no inside informations whatsoever)

1. a bolt of blazing gold
2. crimson winds
3. skywards
4. alone
5. nightfall by the shore of time
6. in tears bereaved
7. through ebony archways
8. shadow duet
9. my faeryland forgotten

maybe i'll add thoughts as of why i rank them this way later...

rahvin.

You know, i asked Anders if he would ever consider performing any Skydancer tunes with DT. his answer: "Fuck no."

Interestingly enough, I Mikael if he would ever consider performing Behind Space or something else off of LKunar Strain with In Flames. his reply: "It would be pretty cool. If Anders would let me.":D

A bolt of blazing gold should always be played. It's a masterpiece. Many bands would kill for that song...

Originally posted by rahvin
who's with me? i'd like to hear at least one song off skydancer live sometime. my reason for posting this thread is i get the impression a lot of people would like that too, and maybe if a lot of fans request it dt will taken this idea into more serious consideration. :)
I'm definitely with you on this.
I sadly understand that the chances for Shadow Duet are next to zero, for the aforementioned reasons :cry:, but I'd say that any song from Skydancer would for sure be deeply appreciated by me, even Skywards, the only one i don't like that much from that album. Hearing anything live from my favourite album ever would be an amazing experience.

One more joins the crowd :)

Alfred