joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
this is off topic realm

im going to post random shit that happens to me in pro tools each day

today:
1. lots of grid locked functions being offset by 1 sample, randomly
2. tempo's being reset or forgotten upon re-opening a project i saved minutes ago, this happened 3 times today
3. random access violation errors on zoom quick key
4. tab not moving about regions correctly, randomly stalls on the beginning or end of a fade or even on a region start / end sometimes.
5. command + T randomly making a region 1 sample shorter than selection

1 sample really pisses you off?

yes

this is supposed to be pro audio editing

if you duplicated an 8th note of something 64 times, you'd lose 64 samples in the process

this would knock the groove off the grid enough to make it sound early against a quarter note pattern

THAT is counter productive

when this happens multiple times to multiple edits, you start to get a lot of GAPS that cannot be crossfaded correctly because they regions aren't "technically touching"

1 sample in audio ISNT a big deal. but its a big deal with 1 sample off within the tools. cuts, drags, copy, paste, replace regions, these things that are done hundreds of times in a song cause a lot of holes and and problems.

Why don't you submit these errors or bugs to Digi..err...Avid and let them know so the problems can be fixed.

I'm surprised that you haven't switched back to Cubase yet. You seem to be hating the transition to PT.

this is off topic realm

im going to post random shit that happens to me in pro tools each day

today:
1. lots of grid locked functions being offset by 1 sample, randomly
2. tempo's being reset or forgotten upon re-opening a project i saved minutes ago, this happened 3 times today
3. random access violation errors on zoom quick key
4. tab not moving about regions correctly, randomly stalls on the beginning or end of a fade or even on a region start / end sometimes.
5. command + T randomly making a region 1 sample shorter than selection

i've had #1 happen to me before on rare occasion, seems to have to do with tempo changes.. but seriously, it's one sample.. you cannot hear that.... it did bug me visually though. so i just touchedeach affected region boundary with the trimmer tool in grid mode.

never had any of the others happen.

yes

this is supposed to be pro audio editing

if you duplicated an 8th note of something 64 times, you'd lose 64 samples in the process

this would knock the groove off the grid enough to make it sound early against a quarter note pattern

THAT is counter productive
i don't believe that would happen at all.. you'd never hear that, even if it's happening as much as you say.

when this happens multiple times to multiple edits, you start to get a lot of GAPS that cannot be crossfaded correctly because they regions aren't "technically touching"
actually, you can.. just select the entire affected area... including every missing sample, open Beat Detecting, go to the smoothing panel, select to fill & x-fade with a couple ms x-fade time... will take care them all. again though.. never really had this problem in the way you are describing.

i've had #1 happen to me before on rare occasion, seems to have to do with tempo changes.. but seriously, it's one sample.. you cannot hear that.... it did bug me visually though. so i just touchedeach affected region boundary with the trimmer tool in grid mode.

never had any of the others happen.

i don't believe that would happen at all.. you'd never hear that, even if it's happening as much as you say.

actually, you can.. just select the entire affected area... including every missing sample, open Beat Detecting, go to the smoothing panel, select to fill & x-fade with a couple ms x-fade time... will take care them all. again though.. never really had this problem in the way you are describing.

my point is the tools dont work as intended

and i shouldnt have to use other tools to fix those tools mistakes.

my point is the tools dont work as intended

and i shouldnt have to use other tools to fix those tools mistakes.

Agreed, but all DAWs have quirks/issues like this. They can be nitpicked on virtually anything.

You really wouldn't want me to do a play by play of my daily experiences with Cubase. It may be too long to list in anything other than biblical format.

Yeah open Quicktime, go File>New Screen Capture and there's a little arrow near the record button you can press on the window that pops up to select what to use for audio input if you want to include sound. I make screen captures all the time with Quicktime, works great (despite some excessive file sizes on the resulting .movs)

i can imagine that for an audio engineer like joey, producing super tight, "perfect" recordings, the off-by-one (most common programming error, btw) sample errors could be a real fuck off.

meh, i guess every daw has shitty little quirks like that.. although #2 would royally infuriate me. does closing then re-opening the project bring them back, perhaps?

i guess you'll just get used to them.. aha.

and ermz.. C5 really isn't *that* bad..!

thanks,