pro tools annoyances

today 04/04/2010:

today wasn't too bad actually

1. pro tools crashed when trying to disable an rtas plugin on channel. luckily auto save was on, because we had just recorded a one and only vocal take on a very dry and naked part.
2. keyboard sticks to waves plugin keyboard entry... pressing record will engage typing the number "3" into the last plugin control you were messing with...

today 04/04/2010:

today wasn't too bad actually

1. pro tools crashed when trying to disable an rtas plugin on channel. luckily auto save was on, because we had just recorded a one and only vocal take on a very dry and naked part.
Joey, i can't remember the last time Pro Tools crashed on me... it was months ago for sure, and months between each crash... i'm not sure i've ever had any software that crashes so rarely.,...it does happen though, same as any other DAW or major software package. but with the frequency it seems to happen to you, as opposed to how infrequently it happens to me.... are you sure it's not just some conflict related to your system, rather than strictly a PT issue? i'm relatively sure that's the case, because as i've said, mine rarely ever crashes.

2. keyboard sticks to waves plugin keyboard entry... pressing record will engage typing the number "3" into the last plugin control you were messing with...
this is not a bug Joey.. nor is it a Pro Tools issue, per se.... it is a feature of Waves Plug-Ins... once you edit a field, that field goes into "sticky" mode, so that all need to is type and hit enter to update it.... this makes zeroing in on a good setting easier, because you don't have to keep clicking in the field. once you are satisfied with your setting, just click once, somewhere away from the field, but on the plug's GUI (or simply hit the Escape key), and it will release from "sticky" mode and you can use your keyboard for transport and other functions again..... if you fine-tune your settings a lot, you'll learn to love that feature. ... if you're a "set-it-and-forget-it" type of guy, or are just so good that you know what the final setting for any given parameter will be right off the bat, you'll likely always hate it.;)

Joey, i can't remember the last time Pro Tools crashed on me... it was months ago for sure, and months between each crash... i'm not sure i've ever had any software that crashes so rarely.,...it does happen though, same as any other DAW or major software package. but with the frequency it seems to happen to you, as opposed to how infrequently it happens to me.... are you sure it's not just some conflict related to your system, rather than strictly a PT issue? i'm relatively sure that's the case, because as i've said, mine rarely ever crashes.

I've been using M-Powered on my home setup for about a year and a half, and had it crash two times or so. Zero crashes since I moved to a Mac. Our school's HD systems, on the other hand, have crashed a lot more often (even the C24 has crapped itself a couple of times), so it definitely sounds like a system conflict or in my case a poorly maintained system with dozens of different users on a weekly basis.

turns out the "off by one sample" thing is due to pro tools being "sample rounded"

this means at certain tempos, certain bar|beat increments are decimel pointed
pro tools can't deal with that, so it rounds

this causes some edits to be off by a sample

to avoid any messing up during duplication and other operations, you are advised to use the selection tool instead of the grabber, because a selection doesn't have to obey the sample rounding rules

another alternative is to use relative grid mode with the grabber (for example, when alt+dragging to make a copy)

yeah if you're PT system is crashing more often then once every few months, there's something wrong for sure.

Things I check for is I reseat all the cards (including the video card), check for incompatible plugins (just cause it's working doesn't mean it's not totally fucking you).

Then there's 3 things you can do to avoid "general crashes"

1. Raise the auto backup to once every 3 minutes and only save 20 of them. Saving every minute brings protools to its knees in larger sessions.

2. Switch your recording allocation to a certain amount of time, not "all available disk space". Do the same with Destructive punch.

3. If you're getting assertion errors or other random errors, use this http://www.jcdeshaies.com/ and dump all your digi prefs.

turns out the "off by one sample" thing is due to pro tools being "sample rounded"

to avoid any messing up during duplication and other operations, you are advised to use the selection tool instead of the grabber, because a selection doesn't have to obey the sample rounding rules

another alternative is to use relative grid mode with the grabber (for example, when alt+dragging to make a copy)
that's likely why i have only rarely ever run into that issue... i stay in Relative Grid most all of the time, since timeline selections will always be dead on the grid, and region selections will remain relative... and that's exactly how i want it unless i'm literally snapping regions/events exactly to the grid, which i seldom ever do.

and joey, in case you didn't see this before:

this is not a bug Joey.. nor is it a Pro Tools issue, per se.... it is a feature of Waves Plug-Ins... once you edit a field, that field goes into "sticky" mode, so that all need to is type and hit enter to update it.... this makes zeroing in on a good setting easier, because you don't have to keep clicking in the field. once you are satisfied with your setting, just click once, somewhere away from the field, but on the plug's GUI (or simply hit the Escape key), and it will release from "sticky" mode and you can use your keyboard for transport and other functions again..... if you fine-tune your settings a lot, you'll learn to love that feature. ... if you're a "set-it-and-forget-it" type of guy, or are just so good that you know what the final setting for any given parameter will be right off the bat, you'll likely always hate it.
;)

I just wanted to bump this because of some research I'm doing about sample accuracy in DAWs due to some issues with the Reaper system...

Pro Tools actually is one of very few DAWs that is sample accurate, which is why you actually had this problem.

In Pro Tools, everything is on a sample grid. Which makes sense, because audio files are made of samples and audio playback happens at a specific sample rate.

So this creates a problem for "musical" grids like bars|beats. In 99% of tempos, a bar or beat is not going to be an exact number of samples. So to compensate for this, Pro Tools has to alternate in whatever pattern is necessary when building bars on the grid.

So for arguments sake, say the "perfect" bar length at a certain tempo is 7500.731 samples. Audio is based in samples and playback happens at a sample rate, so fractional samples are meaningless. So Pro Tools makes each bar alternate between 7500 and 7501 samples as necessary, since a bar can't be 7500.731 samples long.

Reaper and Cubase on the other hand ignore the sample grid. THIS is a problem! These are the DAWs that actually "sample round". Pro Tools "bar rounds" (rounding bar lines to the nearest sample). In Reaper and Cubase, when audio playback happens it has to round everything to the nearest sample. So your audio doesn't actually playback exactly as it appears on screen. So even though it "looks" like everything is accurate on screen, Pro Tools is the DAW that is actually more accurate because it doesn't deceive you, it plays back exactly what you see and it doesn't hide anything. If something needs to be rounded to a different sample, it will be shown that way in the edit window. In Cubase or Reaper, it still gets rounded but you don't know it, it just gets rounded while playing back instead of on the screen!

Personally I would much rather have control over what's actually going to playback then have my DAW convince me everything is fine only to round behind the scenes.

Both approaches have their merit, but to complain about the Pro Tools system is unreasonable until you really understand everything.

In Pro Tools, one 16th note might be 500 samples, the next one will be 501 samples, then 500, then 500 then 500, then 501, etc. That's why things don't line up perfectly sometimes in situations like that, because audio is sample based, so it only makes sense to make audio edits based on samples. Cutting a sample in half only forces the DAW to round on playback.

That's why if you trim a region in Pro Tools to be exactly one bar long, and then loop that bar for several loops, eventually it will be off by one sample in some of the loops because one bar can never be the perfect number of samples except at a very limited number of specific tempos.

So Cubase and Reaper are the sample rounders here, not Pro Tools. ;) Anyways sorry for the rant, but calling Pro Tools inaccurate or giving it a bad rep over this is not really fair...

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages, but neither one is really wrong. There's no perfect solution, you just have to choose one set of issues or another.

It's all interesting and a good read, but what does it actually mean? I heavily doubt we're going to hear 1 sample of inaccuracy?

Honestly I agree, and the 1 sample inaccuracy doesn't "build up" over time either, since the grid is alternative back and forth between different amounts of samples per bar. Anything will only ever be off by one sample, that's it.

But I do prefer the Pro Tools way overall just because I feel like I am more in control. Every sample lines up on a sample grid and trying to put two items perfectly in phase with each other is much easier than in Reaper where the items are not snapping to a sample grid. In Reaper I would be moving the items completely freely so the best I can do is just keep sliding it around and listening with the phase flipped. It's also annoying trying to cut drum samples in Reaper since I can't actually cut at the sample, it's always going be slightly off even if it's only off be 0.00001% of a sample.

Nobody could ever hear this difference, ever. It's just annoying when you are doing the editing whereas in Pro Tools, cutting a drum sample I can zoom in to sample level, place the cursor on the exact sample quickly and easily no problem and cut. It just feels a little faster.

In Reaper it's a hard problem to solve because Reaper allows media of any sample rate within the same project and just resamples on the fly during playback, so how can you have a sample grid and snap every sample in every item to it if the items can all be different sample rates? So that's something that they are trying to come up with the best solution for for version 4 as far as I know. Flexibility comes with a certain price I guess.

But yeah, it doesn't really make a huge difference at the end of the day. I just wanted to give that little lesson since Joey seemed furious over PT's "sample inaccuracy" when that is just simply not the case.

Just to illustrate, here is a screenshot of a tiny chunk of an item in Reaper. It is trimmed such that it is not an exact number of samples long (in fact its basically impossible to set it to be exactl X samples long since it does not snap to the sample)

sampleprerender.png

After I render that item, look what happens:

samplepostrender.png

It has to round and recalculate the item. And in fact, the source wav file that got rendered is LONGER than the item displayed on screen, I can trim it out a fraction of a sample before it actually ends, since the rendered item has to contain a fixed number of WHOLE samples.

People are going to misinterpret this and add it as a strike against Reaper, but any DAW that isn't fixed to a sample grid will behave the same way. It is a necessary evil of not snapping all edits to a sample grid. This is why for me, the Pro Tools way just feels more "solid" if that makes any sense.