Problem with "Still Life"

Metal Marc

New Metal Member
Hey, everyone. I need some info. I bought the Still Life CD a while back and there's a problem with it. The final 10 seconds of "Serenity Painted Death" are cut off. The disk was new with NO scratches. I played it on every CD player in the house and we also played it at the music store. It sucks.

I've heard other people say that the Peaceville reissues sucked. Is this one of the reasons why? Anyone else had this problem? Gotta know this before I buy another one.

Thanks.

How do you now it's 10 seconds? lol, yeah Mike said it's mean to be like that, to break the trend of the last 4 songs fading out, so he cut it, he also said it's supposed to leave a 'deep, empty feeling', so there.

froj said:
yeah Mike said it's mean to be like that, to break the trend of the last 4 songs fading out, so he cut it, he also said it's supposed to leave a 'deep, empty feeling', so there.

...god.

Metal Marc said:
Hey, everyone. I need some info. I bought the Still Life CD a while back and there's a problem with it. The final 10 seconds of "Serenity Painted Death" are cut off. The disk was new with NO scratches. I played it on every CD player in the house and we also played it at the music store. It sucks.

I've heard other people say that the Peaceville reissues sucked. Is this one of the reasons why? Anyone else had this problem? Gotta know this before I buy another one.

Thanks.

Can't you tell it's supposed to be like that? It's pretty obvious, and Opeth aren't even the first band to end a song that way. You must be pretty dumb to think it was a problem with your disc only. I almost wished you bought more copies of it, just to waste your money & time playing it on every damn CD player in your house. You're such a stain.

Jerkface said:
Can't you tell it's supposed to be like that? It's pretty obvious, and Opeth aren't even the first band to end a song that way. You must be pretty dumb to think it was a problem with your disc only. I almost wished you bought more copies of it, just to waste your money & time playing it on every damn CD player in your house. You're such a stain.

that was a tad harsh, no?

no it wasnt! everyone has to know every opeth interview by heart for fucks sake! cause MIKE SAID SO.

Jerkface said:

It'd be dead funny if you were wrong hehe.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there? I don't know every interview, I just remember that bit because it is something I once was confused by, so once I found out why it happens, I remembered why. Fair enough?

I'm trying to figure out why so many people think that the ending is some mechanical problem with the CD or a fucked up master...

With the way CDs work, if the disc is playing and you're not hearing any skippage it's a 99.9% safe bet that's how it's supposed to sound!

I knew that wasn't an error the first time I ever listened to Still Life.
Just look at the time display on your CD player..it just goes right to the next track with no hassles.

I hope nobody who thought their discs were messed up takes that the wrong way...

Jerkface said:

Lame.

Haven't you ever heard of CDs with manufacturing defects? The latest Dark Tranquillity disc had some problems with tracks ending prematurely if I'm not mistaken.

And yeah, when I first heard the album I thought it was a factory fuck-up.