Still life Problem

{-sapob-}

Dec 17, 2008
I have a serious problem with still life.
Sometimes im ok with it and i dont notice at all but other times it gets to me so much.

My problem lies in the sound of the guitars.
Especially in Benighted.
And Face of melinda, i especially hate the sound of the fretless bass aswell and the sound of the brushes used for the drums.

I really cant say why these things annoy me so much.
Maybe im just sick of the album.

i dunno, but i do know that if these were fixed, id probably be in bliss listening to the album, and itd be near perfect.

But oh well.

On that note is there anything stopping any of your favorite opeth albums from being close to perfect?

I would let the album rest for a while and find some different music to listen to, then come back to it and rediscover how good it is.

I can't stand the intro to Dirge for November, I like the song, but the first few lines I hate, and I usually end up skipping the song. But that would be my only gripe I can think of right now.

I don't see what's wrong with Still Life. I love every song on it to death. It's my favorite Opeth album.

I'd say the thing that prevents me from liking Watershed as much as the rest of Opeth's discography is the fact that the beautiful poetic harmonies and riffs present on all of their other albums seems to be missing. It seems like the most lifeless, unfeeling album by Opeth. I guess that's the best way to describe it.

I have a serious problem with still life.
Sometimes im ok with it and i dont notice at all but other times it gets to me so much.

Especially in Benighted.
And Face of melinda, i especially hate the sound of the fretless bass aswell and the sound of the brushes used for the drums.

I really cant say why these things annoy me so much.
Maybe im just sick of the album.

i dunno, but i do know that if these were fixed, id probably be in bliss listening to the album, and itd be near perfect.

But oh well.

On that note is there anything stopping any of your favorite opeth albums from being close to perfect?

what are your thoughts on other jazzy music with brushes and fretless bass?

the fretless bass is pretty much the only really awesome thing on that album :kickass:
love the fog-ish sound of it.
one thing that is "disturbing" me is the acoustic intro to Hessian Peel, I always pass it, even though I know I should like it. it's just the last part of it that sounds annoying :/

Especially in Benighted.

I can't stand the intro to Dirge for November, I like the song, but the first few lines I hate, and I usually end up skipping the song

It seems like the most lifeless, unfeeling album by Opeth. I guess that's the best way to describe it.

the fretless bass is pretty much the only really awesome thing on that album

Wow. Only six posts and already so much failure.

thanks for pointing out the sarcasm of my reply :)
I just like the other ones better.

something serious is happening to you...you are starting....to...dislike.....OPETH....Go and see a shrink, otherwise you might get a real life.

I can't stand the intro to Dirge for November, I like the song, but the first few lines I hate, and I usually end up skipping the song. But that would be my only gripe I can think of right now.

This is it exactly. When the clean electric comes in, it's all good from there, but the way Mike sings it isn't exactly my favorite moment. Not bad, I just wish it was used in some other song. :)

what are your thoughts on other jazzy music with brushes and fretless bass?

Well,
I really havent experienced any "propper" jazz so i cant say.
Dont get me wrong i dont mind a fretless bass, but just cant stand the sound of it on the still life recordings mentioned.
Same as the brushes.
and the acoustic guitar.

Yeah , I downloaded (I can't the original ones anyhow, no order no stores here) it twice from different sources but they sounded the same

Yeh I haven't analyzed it fully yet. I know of the differences but on the face is 'seems' the same but if you listen hard you can tell they worked the compressors harder in the re-issue and the reverb is not as distinct, especially on the snare.