ProCo Rat sim plugin (free)

valdiorn

Nov 8, 2008
Hey guys. I've just updated my "Rodent" vst plugin, a simulation of the ProCo Rat. It's based on a development package I'm working on (I call it jDSP.lib), it implements VST plugins in Java for rapid development (the first version of Rodent was written in 4 hours from a schematic)

http://analogwindow.com/?page_id=35

Be sure to check out the soundclip on the site (recorded direct with only a cabsim in the chain)

Give it a try, and please tell me if it crashes. This is still very early and I don't know how stable all this stuff is :)
You need to have Java installed and right now the package only runs on Windows, but if you're computer smart you can download OS-X and Linux LADSPA wrappers from http://jvstwrapper.sourceforge.net

Hope you enjoy. And of course, its open source, so if you want to add another mod, be my guest (yeah, modding software effects; that's new :D)

Thanks a lot, this should rule on bass tones, I'm a bit busy mixing stuff lately but I'll be sure to give you feedback.

Crap. Ok, thanks for giving it a try, I'll guess I need to do more debugging :)
I tried it on my computer with Ableton, Cubase 3, Reaper and EnergyXT, so I'm guessing its a java problem

In Reaper works fine, put in front of a cab impulse and you´re done!!

you have planned any GUI for this??

many thanks!!

WOW, and the release date of this is?????

Thanks!

very close. I'm fine-tuning the clean channel, and then I have to finish up some user interface components (I had to build custom Java components for the knobs and more :))

This is SERIOUSLY one of the best distortion plugins EVER.

Thanks a lot. AMAZING job. Love it on gits, can't wait to use it for filthy bass grit.

If you make a mac version of that Randall amp sim I will love you long time. In your first post did you imply that this plugin could be used in mac somehow? I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out what all this java wrapping stuff is about

If you make a mac version of that Randall amp sim I will love you long time. In your first post did you imply that this plugin could be used in mac somehow? I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out what all this java wrapping stuff is about

Yeah. I'm going to start working on this again very soon (been working on a tube amp design in the meantime, as well as a Marshall Shredmaster sim :))
Basically, I opted to develop this all in Java becase:

a) development time is cut in half, or even into thirds (compared to C++)
b) It can be run platform-independent

The performance hit is only about 15-20%, still very comparable to other amp sims (on my computer plugins like X30, Le456, LeGion are using about 7-8%, Lambda uses 8-9%. It's quite a lot less than SoloC. CPU use for pedal sims is almost negligible, probably 1-2%)

I just need to provide packages ready for download for the linux and mac OS-X platforms, I just need to get my hands on a mac for 10 minutes to confirm that they're correctly set up and then it's all good to go

In the mean time, spread the word, I made this so people could use it. Just remember, you need java for it to work! :D

Yeah. I'm going to start working on this again very soon (been working on a tube amp design in the meantime, as well as a Marshall Shredmaster sim :))
Basically, I opted to develop this all in Java becase:

a) development time is cut in half, or even into thirds (compared to C++)
b) It can be run platform-independent

The performance hit is only about 15-20%, still very comparable to other amp sims (on my computer plugins like X30, Le456, LeGion are using about 7-8%, Lambda uses 8-9%. It's quite a lot less than SoloC. CPU use for pedal sims is almost negligible, probably 1-2%)

I just need to provide packages ready for download for the linux and mac OS-X platforms, I just need to get my hands on a mac for 10 minutes to confirm that they're correctly set up and then it's all good to go

In the mean time, spread the word, I made this so people could use it. Just remember, you need java for it to work! :D
OMG! Please do, man! :D

I would love to give some amp sims for mac a try! :D

Since you've placed the Ruetz mod and a Turbo, all this lacks is an R2DU...oh wait I can just put one instance of your rodent after another :lol:

Awesome work, been dying for a Rat, but kinda wanted them all to choose which one I like best. Now I want to build one of your TARs. Thanks for the sim, killer!

Now if only someone would model the Gallien Krueger 250...