"producer's samples" selling idea

I really think this is a great fuckin idea joey. I'm sure this could really take, I mean your name is really blowing up in the scene and word of mouth would def travel fast. I would def buy this man! please do this now!

I'd buy it if it comes ready for the Kontakt player.

This.

The Colossus cymbal samples I've been using are garbage and putting together the sample maps from scratch is a pain. I would love some decent sounding cymbals that I can load up quickly and know sound good. Snare, kick and tom samples are a dime a dozen and relatively easy to make yourself or find free all over this forum- I'd pay for a few cymbal packs!

I wouldn't worry about copy protection like Slate... Addictive Drums don't copy protect the samples, neither does ToonTrack, and you're potential buyers are like a group of 25 dudes on one forum. Anyone willing to pay is going to pay anyways.

Toontrack definitely have copy protection. At least for all their recent stuff. The first DFH etc is another matter.

I dunno about this honestly. Usually when you make money out of something then everyone involved in the production of the product should be compensated.
For instance, I'm sure Thomas Haake and Nir Z etc got paid for their services during the sample recording process unless they simply did it for promotion or as a favour.
But using session samples from clients without their consent is a little different imo. Even if you own most of the cymbals, the room, mics etc and you hit the recording button it's still someone else creating that sample.
Also, a lot of bands and musician's pride themselves in having a unique sound both in terms of writing and tone/timbre etc.

on second thought, i probably wouldnt be able to use their name in the titles of anything.

Just name 'em something similar so people still know which artist they're from... The Evil Ears Rada, Yourchildren Yourbride, A Flea For Surging, etc... I don't think that would be illegal.

I'm always looking for more cymbals, but if you really do start to sell them, would you be putting some samples of them up like on here or on a website? Its just that not many people would just by drum samples without hearing them first, or at least hearing them in a finished mix.

Originally Posted by Aaron Smith
Just name 'em something similar so people still know which artist they're from... The Evil Ears Rada, Yourchildren Yourbride, A Flea For Surging, etc... I don't think that would be illegal.

I like the names!

Furthermore; you can't just go selling samples without clearing all kinds of shit; you'll have to ask the band, as it would seem they paid for the recordings. You'll also have to ask each and every drum manufacturer for permission to use their names, if you intend to tell people what crash you used, or what snare, etc...

And if they were recorded in your garage, and you want to change more than $15-$30 for a kit.. well I honestly don't think you'll sell as much as you expect. Add to that, the fact that there are very high-quality sample packs out there for reasonable prices.. well... it might be worth talking to Kazrog and see if he'll illuminate on how many Recabinet's he has sold, to give you a realistic perspective.

Furthermore; you can't just go selling samples without clearing all kinds of shit; you'll have to ask the band, as it would seem they paid for the recordings. You'll also have to ask each and every drum manufacturer for permission to use their names, if you intend to tell people what crash you used, or what snare, etc...

He doesn't have to ask the band, that's complete and utter bullshit. The bands neither own the rights to the recording (if they're signed to a label) nor is their intellectual property infringed.

He might would have to ask the specific label the record appeared on if it's stated in the contract that everything recorded in that session is going to become the label's property upon completion/payment. The deals usually don't run that "deep", though.

And to avoid brand name/trademark infringement, he can just change the name to something quite obvious. As he would have to with the bands.

And Joey, for copyright protection you should look into digital watermarking. Maybe Shane/Kazrog can give you some pointers in that direction.

Also, if you plan to continue releasing these packages, you might want to think about getting it covered in your contract, that the individual samples belong to you and that the band agrees on letting you use their name for advertising those. Just to make it waterproof.

--------

And I think it's quite likely that you'll find an audience for this. Quite some people have complained about the Slate cymbals (I don't necessarily agree) and not everybody can afford to have both, S.2 and Slate. So this could fill a gap...

Pricing should be reasonable though because people probably won't be willing to shell out that much for cymbal-only packs.

Product and price variation, based on the amount of cymbals included, are also a possibility (like Slate EX, LE, Platinum etc.).

And you may want to think about giving away a set of samples for people to demo it.

He doesn't have to ask the band, that's complete and utter bullshit. The bands neither own the rights to the recording (if they're signed to a label) nor is their intellectual property infringed.

It all depends on the contracts that have been put in place. It might be the case that the band DO own the rights. As far as I knew it, whomever pays for the recordings, owns the rights to the material.

This might help: http://www.alankorn.com/articles/band_recordings.html

Yes the label or the band owns the rights to the recordings (depending on the contract) but only to a certain degree which is specified in the contract too. This usually includes the mix, maybe a master, maybe individual stems and maybe even session files. These samples are usually not a part of this agreement.

This is also the reason why Andy was able to give us those Chimaira samples. And that's also the reason why you, as an engineer, can keep your samples and use them in other projects.

Well, I'm not really an engineer; I recorded my bands album, and have done drums for another band; but it isn't my first love; but I take your point. But all this basically goes back to what my first post said; the guy should see a lawyer.