"producer's samples" selling idea

I'm good as gold - Lars can kiss my ass while I reap the rewards?

Well that scenario is quite different from Joey's. In Joey's case there are drummers who come in and agree to be sampled.

You scenario depends on the fact if "Lars" did agree on you recording him and if there have been further stipulations like "you can record my performance BUT only to put it on your website" etc.

If he agreed to the recording without stipulations and you slice it up into samples so that there is no creative work left in there (like a very unique groove for example), you are - indeed - good as gold as long as you don't infringe his personalty rights (by using his name for advertising etc.).

Edit: He could make a claim for malicious deception though if he argues that he never agreed to be recorded for this purpose.

Again, this scenario and Joey's are quite different.

Don't let a few negative nancys stifel your business venture. Most on this forum may not have a use for them but there's a huge market of fresh fish who believe that this signature pedal or that vocal processor is gonna make them sound like their favorite band.

I would agree to at least make sure all the legalities are virgin tight.

As for the legal stand point. Just make sample sets that sound scarily like *cough* not the same of course *cough* the original sounds they are meant to sound like.

Then call them reproductions.

Retreat Retreat!
Telling Alexander
Seano
Sir Can I
Angel Wears Versace
Cyan Fleet
From The Rising Nightmares
The Shade Immorale
Unsettle The Land
Myfather Mygroom
After My Ears
Pass It Forward
Relief of the Week
Hug the Pacifist
Life Georgia
Tomorrow Again

etc
i can't figure out who most of those are :\
you could use song names instead would work alot better

or simillar changes like

The Devil Wears Gucci (cause they coverd gucci mayne)
or the Still Fly Kit
the Stickly kit (attack)
intergrity kit (mcmb)
A Plea For a Sturgis kit (plea)
Misery kit (oceano)
Plethora kit (FTFD)

i can't figure out who most of those are

Retreat Retreat! > Attack Attack!
Telling Alexander > Asking Alexandria
Seano > Oceano
Sir Can I > Miss May I
Angel Wears Versace > Devil Wears Prada
Cyan Fleet > Crimson Armada
From The Rising Nightmares > For the Fallen Dreams
The Shade Immorale > The Color Morale
Unsettle The Land > Settle The Sky
Myfather Mygroom > Mychildren Mybride
After My Ears > Before My Eyes
Pass It Forward > Take It Back
Relief of the Week > Of The Day
Hug the Pacifist > Kiss The Gunner
Life Georgia > Death Virginia
Tomorrow Again > Never Again

Retreat Retreat! > Attack Attack!
Telling Alexander > Asking Alexandria
Seano > Oceano
Sir Can I > Miss May I
Angel Wears Versace > Devil Wears Prada
Cyan Fleet > Crimson Armada
From The Rising Nightmares > For the Fallen Dreams
The Shade Immorale > The Color Morale
Unsettle The Land > Settle The Sky
Myfather Mygroom > Mychildren Mybride
After My Ears > Before My Eyes
Pass It Forward > Take It Back
Relief of the Week > Of The Day
Hug the Pacifist > Kiss The Gunner
Life Georgia > Death Virginia
Tomorrow Again > Never Again

these names = awesome :headbang:

You'd be surprised at how many legality issues there are in doing this. I ventured towards this idea also a few years ago and getting approvals on 'reproduction kits' were just too complex for me to deal with. You should be 'in the industry' to market kits after popular artists (like Slate), if not then I would just create your own kit from scratch and promote it as best as possible. I'm releasing a drum library modeled after a well-known modern metal drummer which is due out next year. This was the best route for me to go as his band is very popular and he is also a good friend of mine. Try doing something like that, it'll be much easier!

I know this thread is a bit old but hey ill give it a shot!

I think that soundwise, selling your presets would be a great idea.

why?

because first of all steven slate and all those other samples and softwares are
always focusing on the same style of drum samples, metal, rock, and other mainstream genres like that are not necessarely the upgoing trends.
(disturbed, pantera, acdc, led zepelin, tons of samples wich for a lot of people, are not really appropriate)

and foremost, they are using top notchgear,(killer pres, eqs and all the outboard stuff)

wich when you use in your home studio, sounds weird because you have your low-fi sound for all of the other instruments, but the drums sound golden, like just too good for the rest of the mix.

and the sturgis samples sound really good but are all mostly done with gear accessible to almost everyone. and itb stuff.

so i think this would be great!

wich when you use in your home studio, sounds weird because you have your low-fi sound for all of the other instruments, but the drums sound golden, like just too good for the rest of the mix.

and the sturgis samples sound really good but are all mostly done with gear accessible to almost everyone. and itb stuff.

You're doing something pretty wrong then... Joey does use gear that is to some degree acessible to everyone but he does know what he's doing, his cymbals do sound good. And if you have that problem then I just don't know what to say... I know what you mean but shouldn't talk in a broader sense

Just curious, those of you interested in these samples, how would you use them? I mean, if Joey sold them as nki instruments, you would need the full version of Kontakt to open them. I guess gogs would work if you triggered from midi but I can't think of an easy and free way to use velocity sensitive multisamples like this while still doing all your programming on one MIDI track like you can with S2.0 or SSD.

Just curious, those of you interested in these samples, how would you use them? I mean, if Joey sold them as nki instruments, you would need the full version of Kontakt to open them. I guess gogs would work if you triggered from midi but I can't think of an easy and free way to use velocity sensitive multisamples like this while still doing all your programming on one MIDI track like you can with S2.0 or SSD.

kontakt player is free

and that's all you would need.