"producer's samples" selling idea

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
so i have this idea, that when i switch to a new mic pre for recording my drums, that i'll sell all the old cymbal samples from all the recordings i've done (i have a truck load)

it would be packaged similair to steven slate drums, and it would be categorized by "album" / "band".

what do you think? how many buyers am i going to have
:loco:

Are your cymbals good enough? Not meaning any offence, but Slate/S2.0/etc. are all tracked in the best possible environments with great equipment. Yours.. iirc were recorded in a garage and a house, with not the greatest mics available.

Are your cymbals good enough? Not meaning any offence, but Slate/S2.0/etc. are all tracked in the best possible environments with great equipment. Yours.. iirc were recorded in a garage and a house, with not the greatest mics available.

try using that logic against the beatles and their success...

at any rate, who cares if x snare was recorded with microphone y

what does it sound like is what im going to be asking first

would any of this have to be cleared by the bands?

i dont see why

for one, im actually the person that usually buy's the cymbals that are being recorded

for two, i recorded it, and it doesnt contain their "song" or anything that they've got square away in publishing...

on second thought, i probably wouldnt be able to use their name in the titles of anything.

I wouldn't worry about copy protection like Slate... Addictive Drums don't copy protect the samples, neither does ToonTrack, and you're potential buyers are like a group of 25 dudes on one forum. Anyone willing to pay is going to pay anyways.

I think you should totally do it.

Even if you don't sell a lot, a few a month perhaps, it's minimal effort and it's extra smoke money for you while you sleep.
Most of the work is already done as you said, now you need a simple website and a buy now button (Paypal merchant services provides)

Prevent pirates by making it affordable, an impulse buy. I suggest $14.99

I'd happily promote it on my site, I'd even host the products if you needed that.

I think you should totally do it.

Even if you don't sell a lot, a few a month perhaps, it's minimal effort and it's extra smoke money for you while you sleep.
Most of the work is already done as you said, now you need a simple website and a buy now button (Paypal merchant services provides)

Prevent pirates by making it affordable, an impulse buy. I suggest $14.99

I'd happily promote it on my site, I'd even host the products if you needed that.

that is totally awesome, and i will totally take you up on that.

we're talking about ~30 - 50 cymbals, all sampled in different ways, hi hats fully sampled (multiple open clutch heights, hit velocity, tight side, tight tip, pedal close, natural chokes, the whole nine yards).

i couldnt sell the whole kit for that cheap, that would be rape

one thing i think i've got going for me is that you can fly them in a mix without any eq pretty easily
i premix all my cymbal samples

that is totally awesome, and i will totally take you up on that.

we're talking about ~30 - 50 cymbals, all sampled in different ways, hi hats fully sampled (multiple open clutch heights, hit velocity, tight side, tight tip, pedal close, natural chokes, the whole nine yards).

i couldnt sell the whole kit for that cheap, that would be rape

one thing i think i've got going for me is that you can fly them in a mix without any eq pretty easily
i premix all my cymbal samples

Email me audiogeekzine[at]gmail.com if you want me to set that up.

30-50 cymbals per album or total? I think you could do $15 per band, or much higher as a larger package.
Various formats makes it more valuable, Kontakt, wav, esx24 etc