productions with programmed cymbals?

Apr 14, 2010
Germany
hi,

I have to improve on my cymbal programming skills with SD2.0
therefore I'd like to listen to some people's productions that have programmed cymbals to improve my own skills.

if you'd be so kind as to post band names, albums and any infos on samples used (if you happen to know) it would be of great help.

thanks!

514TUZLMt9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ez drummer in yo face.

^ DFH actually, but yeah. Also, Meshuggah - Catch 33.

In reality, I don't think you should be listening to projects with awesome programmed cymbals. Listen to songs with awesome cymbals/drums instead, and try to emulate them.

If you don't already know:

127 velocity sounds great for crash/china cymbal hits, unless you are riding on the crash/china like a high hat, then it is too much

Find the pulse and make the 1 and 3 the accents (assuming we are in 4/4)

Build up velocities if you want to build up dynamics from one section to another (sonar has a scale velocity feature which is great for this, whatever program you use probably has a similar feature) so the last few bars before the big chorus rise in velocity and give a dynamic build up

Real drummers practice limb independance, normally that means hitting the snare really hard but going lighter on the hats for rock/metal. 127 on hats/ride almost always sounds horrible, even heavy sections seem to like it closer to 100. But make the hats/ride hits much higher in velocity when they fall with the snare drum. That helps the pulse or groove, I find it sounds like Lars on Load/Reload, he obviously has never heard of limb independance but it sounds great for a mid tempo groovey section.

Experiment putting cymbals before and after the snares/kicks on the grid, sometimes just a touch early or late makes all the difference

I think superior metal foundry has great cymbals and more than enough articulations to get a nice sound. My latest recording call "Lunarvore" at my bancamp site has lots of these ideas being used, about 2 minutes in and you'll hear heaps of dynamic cymbal work.

thanks so far guys. it seems you can get fairly realistic from judging a couple of productions.
I agree with listening to real performances first but I wanted to see how far programmed cymbals can go thus my thread.

onedaysky, what do you mean by "put some Dominion on them"?

colonel_claypoo said:
thanks so far guys. it seems you can get fairly realistic from judging a couple of productions.
I agree with listening to real performances first but I wanted to see how far programmed cymbals can go thus my thread.

onedaysky, what do you mean by "put some Dominion on them"?
Dominion basically acts as a compressor.

Seth Munson has mentioned this multiple and I totally agree: Compressing PROGRAMMED cymbals is very crucial for them to sound like they're suppose to. Brings out the room sound (or "sustain") a lot better and if done correctly they will sound great.

Biohazard - Biohazard (E-kit)
Pro-Pain - Contents under pressure, Run for Cover and a few more...
King Diamond - Them (E-kit)
Godflesh - everything(?)