Profire 2626 playback interruptions?

Oct 4, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Hi. I just changed my setup a bit for this new room and I installed my old profire 2626 on this win 7 laptop with Reaper. I installed the latest drivers and the PF seems to be detected fine on the PC. It seems to record without problems too.

Sometimes though, the monitoring ceases instantly for no reason and there can be crackles, other noises and stuff. I disabled all the stock crap for playback/recording that came with the pc and made the PF the default device, but I'm still experimenting the same problems.

I'm a bit at loss about how to proceed now?

On a sidenote, I previously installed an Mbox 2 with the drivers on that laptop (not plugged right now though). I don't know if it could be interfering? I'd prefer to not uninstall the avid stuff if possible as I intend to use it in some situations.

Thanks,

Does the motherboard have a Texas Instruments FireWire chip? I've seen people have issues without one before when using m audio devices and non TI chips.

I have the 2626 and had some similar problems. I run it at all times so even if I'm gaming, I'm running through my studio monitors. The device just stops working a LOT. A simple reset fixes it though.

But inside Reaper, I can record fine at 128 buffer size but once I have a bunch of tracks going and I'm trying to mix, I have to turn the buffer up.

Does the motherboard have a Texas Instruments FireWire chip? I've seen people have issues without one before when using m audio devices and non TI chips.

No, it has an intel chip. Before this new setup, I used the PF with an other PC that had a TI chip and I never had issues. It was on WinXP though.

Gonna try the legacy drivers and I'll report.

Thanks all! Hope I can get this fixed. It's such a pain in the ass right now.

I tried the legacy drivers, seemed like the PF didn't work at all with them so I reverted to the original ones. Playing with the buffer settings also didn't seem to help.

More ideas would be welcome ;P

Not the problem ^. I have a firewire card with a TI chip and I have the same problems. I had zero problems however with my old saffire pro24

Okay, has to be drivers or something else then. No idea. I know it worked for me when I bought one.

I tried the legacy drivers, seemed like the PF didn't work at all with them so I reverted to the original ones. Playing with the buffer settings also didn't seem to help.

You have to reinstall the M-Audio driver after you switch to the legacy firewire driver.

Also, have you considered trying a different firewire cable? It could very well be the cable.

You have to reinstall the M-Audio driver after you switch to the legacy firewire driver.

Also, have you considered trying a different firewire cable? It could very well be the cable.

Ahhh!! I didn't do that. I'll definitely give it a try.

The cable should be fine, it's the same one I was using with my other PC and it worked well before. I could have damaged it in transport or something, but that would be very surprising. Maybe the FW port on my laptop is faulty.. now that would be shitty!

Update : installed the legacy 1394 driver and re-installed m-audio drivers. Sound works now but I'm still plagued with the same problems. Also tried an other cable to no avail. Damn, this is tiring.

Sorry to hear about your problem man, these interfaces aren't all that bad and it sucks to see someone struggling. I think I paid $500 for mine used like 5 years ago and now I see them going for way cheaper. Just a shame firewire is sorta going byebye.

Yeah I thought for a while that it was a great interface. Been using it 5 years + with my old setup and it never gave me any trouble before. Couldn't understand the bad reviews. Now I see though... I can't believe that this device just won't be compatible with this comp and that I have to switch to my desktop PC to get a stable recording setup.

Ahhh well. If anyone with the same problems ever find a way to fix them, feel free to bump this thread and let us know.