Profound review of "Viva Emptiness" in http://metalhel.net

Sorry if I sound cruel but that wasn't a very good review. I take it that english is not your native language as many of the sentances are incredibly muddled up and quite confussing. I dont understand over half the review due to words out of place, completely illogical non sensical senstances etc. I'm sure you meant well and what I can actually understand sounds like a farily intelligent review however if you are writing in english then you really need to gain a better grasp of the language!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I should improve my English and in this case the situation was even worse, 'cause I had done the same review in Finnish to another webzine and I just simply translate that Finnish review to English (I'm so lazy...). Not the best solution...

EDIT: Maybe this is too much to ask, but if you could e-mail to me what's wrong in my review, it would be easier for me to, 'cause I'm quite blind to my own text.

Once again I apologise for being so critical. Anyway you wanted me to point out the faults so here they are:

"There are only few songs which are easy, bittersweet and freely flowing"

What does this mean? do you mean simple, why the combination of free flowing and bittersweet, what does bittersweet have to do with the song structure?

"now the solutions are not expected, but you can feel paranoiac and twisted atmosphere."

Again a confusing sentance, what do you mean by solutions? Katatonia have never given solutions, only perspectives on pain and suffering etc.

"not just one-way songs"

What the hell does this mean?

"sometimes some song structures are too much "cut-and-paste" style."

Again I say, what the hell does that mean?

"echoes and sizzles like thousand minds obsess this man"

very confusing word structure, grammer and meaning do you mean one thousand minds of an obsessed man?
Those are all the main sentances which dont make sense, there are also lots of other problems with grammer but those dont matter as the sentances are still decipherable!

Love Conquers All said:
Some people have nothing better to do...
I agree,but then currently neither do I.

Quite frankly I feel that "Vibrating Ducky"'s critical analysis needs some work, I feel you are more angered towards the review, for expmple you claim you dont't understand what a "cut and paste" style is within a song, this is more lack of musical understanding than anything else and the reviewer deserves more credit.

Personally I do and don't agree on certain topics.

However just to add my own personal feelings, since my 2 fav bands happen to be Katatonia and Paradise Lost, and I have reached conclusions about gothic directions it is a new turn that some people will love and others won't.

Personally I prefer Paradise Losts Symbol of Life over Katatonia's new album, but only just. It's all providing a very interesting point to be influenced by. Since there is a certain struggle at the moment convincing people that moving around this style is leading to many directions the music still beats a large amount of what is currently out there, with bands like Autumnblaze and others coming into the light it's only time before this music reaches its time in the charts however like Nu metal it might turn out to be quite different, not necessarily nu metal in style but the type of music where you will turn around to those who get into it and offer to show them a different side to these bands claiming how they sounded very different. For example "Red Hot Chilli Peppers" and "Goo Goo Dolls" sounded different before they had some big hits.

It's all in the song writing skill, this is still causing Katatonia to explore what is potentially another complicated area, with the major "Tool" sound on Viva I think they just need to remember the previous Katatonia sound and try not to escape it too much.

The Last real Katatonia song to me was Teargas, which many love. But on there new album possibly the closest thing was Evidence.

I'm going of on one but my point is that the musics still great, just not brilliant, 2 steps fowared but one step back. Almost there.............. (but then thats what makes Katatonia so different)

I would just like to apologise for any and all things I said which may have offended anyone. After reading a review which baffled me I articulated my opinion very badly on this board.

As for sounding angry, that's far from the truth as I can't wait till the new album is out! From the small amount of material I have heard (Criminal and Complicity) I am incredibly pleased, Jonas vocals sound awesome and the somewhat proggresive elements are really interesting.
Regarding the change in sound I do agree, Katatonia have vastly modified their sound and have lost some of the melancholic atmosphere present in the last five albums however what they have lost they have made up for by making music which while different, sounds awesome.

As for the Tool sound, I totally agree, what I have heard is heavily influenced by them (especially Complicity) but then Tool are one of my favourite bands and similarities are not something I view as being bad.

Once again, I would like to apologise for my rude response to the review I agree I was unduely harsh, which is very unlike me on a message board.
Accept my sincerest apologies