Prog Metal

I've recently decided to give Pain Of Salvation another listen,I've grabbed their other newer CDs that I didn't own,completing their discography.I tried listening to them a few years ago(one Hour By The Concrete Lake,Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element) but I was more interested in BM and DM at the time and couldn't really get into them.They definitely seem like a band that writes complex music that requires a fair bit of attention and repeated but now I think that could be a good thing and hoping they click this time.

Their more recent stuff can't really be compared to the older material, much like Anathema. They've made some drastic style changes (I can't seem to get into their newer stuff personally). I really loved Perfect Element Pt. 1 and Remedy Lane. Those would def fall into Progressive.

Threshold are one of the most underrated (and under appreciated) bands around. Every album, for the most part, is a solid release with killer melodies and songwriting. They're amazingly consistent and they may not reinvent too many wheels from album to album, but at the same time they're adding small new elements to their music with each release. It's even more amazing that they've had as many vocalists as they have, and it's still top notch. That is giving huge props to the core songwriting when a band can pull that off. One of my all time fav songs from them is Eat the Unicorn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V130EXm_6_M

And one of the songs off their last album (March of Progress), I describe as, "If Andrew Lloyd Webber went Prog":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PW8AJW7IEM

Magical stuff man :)

Mercyful/Wainds I'd be curious if you've checked out Threshold before? At certain times you could compare to some of that older Fates stuff, but with a twist. It may be too melodic for you all though, would be curious to know.

Agree, cool stuff. The main Beyond Twilight dude (keys) is coming out with another project along the same vein simply called : Zierler (https://www.facebook.com/zierlerprojects) - Kelly is also on this one along with some other named musicians.

If you haven't checked out Kelly's latest stuff, pick up the new Darkology. Killer album - reminds me at times of King Diamond meets Metal Church's Blessing in Disguise. Really good album.

Great to see some enthusiasm for Threshold, man. What did you think of For the Journey? I think it's good and has some great songs - Siren Sky is phenomenal - but isn't as good as MOP. The amazing thing about MOP is that literally every single song is amazing. Not just good, but truly amazing. The album has absolutely no filler to be found, with some monumental songs like Staring at the Sun, Coda, The Rubicon and Divinity. One of the best vocal performances in recent memory for sure, and absolutely killer song writing. They have a live album coming out soon, did you know that?

Thanks for the heads up on KC...I lost track of him but will check out Darkology and his other, newer stuff.

I absolutely love Dream Theater. All of their stuff is amazing and they're killer live!

Opeth is another top one for me. Orchid to Pale Communion, it's all great.

Mastodon's Crack the Skye is a prog masterpiece, too.

Another great prog band is Arena. They have put out a number of quality releases including their 2015 album The Unquiet Sky. Other than a couple death metal albums, I've listened to it more than anything else this year. Great vocals, songs and production value.

How about some Shadow Gallery?

They're one of my favorite Prog bands. If you haven't listened to the album Tyranny you're missing out on a killer concept album. This is one you will be listening to over and over and catching new stuff every time.

They also have several other albums, the first of which I heard was Carved in Stone. That isn't as stellar as Tyranny for me, but it is also a kick ass album.

Their former vocalist passed away sadly (Mike Baker), but even the new dude they brought on does a great job of fronting the band. That particular album is Digital Ghosts and I find I've listened to that one second most behind Tyranny. And damn, I just looked and it came out in 2009...didn't realize they've gone that long without releasing a new one!

Another great prog band is Arena. They have put out a number of quality releases including their 2015 album The Unquiet Sky. Other than a couple death metal albums, I've listened to it more than anything else this year. Great vocals, songs and production value.

For some reason Arena have never clicked with me, though it's obvious they're clearly a good band. Something about their sound or vocalist that just turns me off.

Give their new album a go. It's well worth it - it clicked immediately with me, but it's not for everyone (even prog fans).

Voyager is a great Aussie progressive metal band worth your time, too.

Last edited:
i like lethal PROGRAMMED too ya, not as much as WARNING-era queensryche or heir apparent though.

need to give that taramis more listens! not sure i've heard the anathema thing either.

I would love recommendations on bands that are similar to Arch-era Fates Warning, Irae Melanox by Adramelch and Winter Kill by Slauter Xstroyes. I don't like anything in progressive metal that isn't in a similar vein to those albums.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't listened to Sahg, you need to!

Delusions of Grandeur is such a great album :kickass:

Anyone here a fan of Mechanical Poet? This is one of those bands that were quirky enough that they never quite caught on with a lot of people. I would loosely describe it as Danny Elfman goes Metal. Personally, I loved this album and Woodland Prattlers.

Last edited:
Soul Cages are a German band. Out of their four albums I only have got the first two. Their debut "Soul Cages" is overall a bit heavier than their second album "Moments", but I like the latter better (mostly because of the melodies).

My favourite song from their debut:

Two of my favourite songs from their second album:

Mechanical Poet is a name I haven't thought about in a really long time. I've become an Oingo Boingo fan since then so that point of reference may help me to get back into them, thanks. I'll give Creepy Tales another listen soon.

Mechanical Poet is a name I haven't thought about in a really long time. I've become an Oingo Boingo fan since then so that point of reference may help me to get back into them, thanks. I'll give Creepy Tales another listen soon.

While digging up that link today I discovered an album of theirs I didn't know about (Eidoline: The Arrakeen Code). Their latter albums shifted away from the earlier albums' whimsical sound (which is what I loved). Definitely refresh with the first two for the Oingo Boingo vibes.

Are there any Riverside fans in here?

This is one band who has completely entranced me with almost every album they release. I call them the modern day Pink Floyd. Their new one is no exception, great album. I still consider their debut among my top albums ever though, that one was a masterpiece.

If you haven't heard them before, I'd say for fans of Pink Floyd, Porcupine tree, Steven Wilson, Proggier Opeth, Pineapple Thief, some Tool.

Old (Although I recommend listening to all of "Out of Myself" front to back):

New:

Previous album (This one is a more rockin' tune or them):

Last edited:
Second Lethal's Programmed. Their singer is one of my co-workers. Real interesting quirky dude and a very talented vocalist.

Very nice! Give him a horns up for me :)

I saw a video online from a few years ago where they played one of the fests over in Europe, they still sounded pretty damn good and his voice was still there. Was happy to see/hear that.