Prog Metal

Here's a brand new band that's working on their debut, sounds killer from the small clip! Friend of mine pointed them out to me (Metal Madman).

For all my Dynazty, and Progressive Metal loving friends please check out The Paralydium Project which features Georg Härnsten Egg (Dynazty), Jonathan Olsson (Dynazty) and John Berg (Ex Dynazty). This sounds fantastic!

Last edited:
I listened to the second album, Winner Loser by Titan Force. I was geared up to be amazed but was thoroughly letdown. Just nothing memorable or catchy to my ears. I listened to half their debut and it seems a bit better but I might end up deleting the albums :-(

I also listened to Soul Cages album Moon from 2013 and wasn't overly impressed, but found it tolerable and I'll probably give it another chance this weekend. But so far nothing compares to Threshold.

Any Antimatter fans here? Not a metal band but definitely progressive rock. I had never heard these guys until today actually, as they've been on my list to check out for years but I had never gotten around to it. This is a single from their new album and I like it. Can anyone tell me about their older material?

Last edited by a moderator:
I listened to the album a few times yesterday. The first three songs are fantastic and then it's slightly hit or miss for me. But, it's definitely worth a listen. I'll be checking out their entire back catalog for sure.

I dunno why but I thought Antimatter had broken up or were on hold. I listened to Lights Out, Planetary Confinement and Leaving Eden fuck loads around the time they came out. I've never really thought of them as progressive rock. Always mentally grouped them with later Ulver.

A discussion in the 'Controversial' thread lead me to revisit this album by Serdce 'Timelessness' and I am glad for that.Infinitely talented,progressive,jazzy,intelligent and rewarding modern album that takes some time to fully appreciate.

One of my three favourite German bands and one of my favourite progressive metal bands are Sieges Even. Their debut "Life Cycle" could be described as progressive thrash metal in the vein of Watchtower's "Control and Restisance" (which was released about a year later), whereas their second album "Steps" (still with the same line-up) went into a different direction, which I find difficult to describe. It's softer and less accessible - a pure headphones-album for me -, but probably my favourite Sieges Even-album (at least my most-played one), followed by their third album "A Sense of Change", which featured a new singer and is IMO their least "metal" album - one song features just vocals, strings and acoustic guitar -, but more accessible than its predecessors. Their fourth album "Sophisticated" featured once again a new singer and also a new guitarist. It's overall heavier than "Steps" and "A Sense of Change", but has also some jazz-like(?) parts. One thing I like on all these albums is the clearly audible bass-playing and that it sometimes sounds like the bass is taking the leading part. Somehow I never really got into their fifth album "Uneven" (the last one before they split up for the first time). Not a bad album, but less interesting than the first four. I can't comment on their reunion-albums (before the split up again), because I don't have them. I heard a few songs from them, but somehow they didn't appeal to me.

iirc hamburgerboy wrote a whole bunch of paragraphs on RYM about how shit sieges even is lol.
Maybe I should have posted this in the "Controversial opinions on metal"-topic then. Well, one man's meat is another man's poison - or to use a German proverb meaning the same: "Dem enen sin Uhl ist dem andern sin Nachtigall."

iirc hamburgerboy wrote a whole bunch of paragraphs on RYM about how shit sieges even is lol.

Mostly just their first two albums. I like Sophisticated and Uneven; my dad loves those albums and describes them as a prog metal Extreme (the hair/funk/whatever metal band), which I can surprisingly hear. Their later stuff is more mellow and not as much my thing, but still respectable.

To chorus, or not to chorus...

Brand new Zierler lyric video out (from the mastermind behind Beyond Twilight, Finn Zierler). Definitely going against the grain with this one, and we're really liking this one!

Finn Zierler (BEYOND TWILIGHT) - keyboards
Kelly Sundown Carpenter (BEYOND TWILIGHT, FIREWIND, DARKOLOGY) - lead vocals
Per Nilsson (SCAR SYMMETRY, KAIPA) - guitars
Truls Haugen (INSENSE, CIRCUS MAXIMUS) - bass, vocals
Bobby Jarzombek (FATES WARNING, HALFORD, SPASTIC INK) - drums
Mixed by Jacob Hansen (VOLBEAT, AMARANTHE, DESTRUCTION)

Last edited: