Prog Power XVII Hype Thread

Aug 6, 2003
Sandy Eggo
Visit site
I know it seems like people have moved on to much cooler pastures, but I figure I would see how people are doing a few weeks out.

What band are you looking forward to most?
Which band has surprised you most in you pre PP prep?
having a hard time getting into any band?
which band do you think will take people by surprise?

Let's hear from the peanut gallery....

For me, the biggest surprise has been Pyramaze. While I liked some earlier stuff, I sort of wrote them off because of their inability to keep a steady line up. But Disciples of the Sun is just a killer album from front to back. While I think it is cool we will see guest spots from past vocalists, I almost want them to do that whole album. Also, I forgot how much I loved Light of Day, Day of Darkness. I listened to it a lot back in the day. When I heard them announced I was happy, but not over the moon. But damn, going back and listening to it I forgot how amazing it is and how much I loved it. Now, it is safe to say I am over the moon.

I think Vanishing Point might be the surprise band of the fest. While not the bad I am looking forward to most by a long stretch, but their music is just so polished and overall well made. I could see them really putting on a good performance and surprising people.

I have been trying my best to get into Awaken the Guardia as I have done many times over the years. I don't dislike it, it is just a little obtuse. I think it is a combination of Arch's vocals, the phrasing of the plentiful lyrics and the lack of anthemic choruses. I am gonna keep trying since I know this is something many are looking forward to hearing.

Reactions: Bear and Kez
What band are you looking forward to most? Vanishing Point. Everything else is just gravy. Been waiting a LONG time........
Which band has surprised you most in you pre PP prep? Ascendia. Not really surprised so much as anticipation building with each listen to 'The Lion and The Jester'.
having a hard time getting into any band? Oh yes, but that's not unusual for me. I don't come to this fest for ALL the bands.......I'll check out Devin for the spectacle, not sure if I'll make it through his whole set. I could list the rest, but why offend people? Our taste is our taste.
which band do you think will take people by surprise? Unlike you, I'm a big fan of Vanishing Point, so my biased hope is that they blow people away with their 'polished power'. Also hoping Serious Black catches a few by surprise......

In summary, this fest has turned into more of a vacation for me, as opposed to a dedicated concert experience.
The bands that I will NOT miss: LORD, Spock's, Pyramaze, Circus Maximus, Ascendia, VP.............the rest is dependent upon however I feel at the moment.

1] Pyramaze with the guests. Haken, Green Carnation, Circus Maximus, and a couple others were high on the list too, but the guest spots lift this over the top. I know every album and close to every note and I'll be hoarse by the end of this set.

2] Ascendia, who I'd never heard of before the announcement. Their album hit my year-end list. The singer is absolutely stunning.

3] Not really. Although there are a few bands I haven't gotten into, it's mostly the bands I don't know by now because they are ones I've basically decided I probably won't be interested in. Like all previous years, so far the bands I don't want to see are conveniently located within my schedule.

4] Green Carnation. I know of one person who is a power metal head to the bone and generally dislikes prog - the last sort of person who would like a 60-minute prog epic song AND a performance of exclusively that song. But he loves it. Also, it's a "sleeper" live album. Not something people would expect to really stick live, unlike Devin whose music and persona are just built for the stage.

Fates Warning. Seeing John Arch is one of the few things left on my live music bucket list so I'm as stoked as it can get for this.

Modern Scar Symmetry actually being pretty sick. I totally wrote them off when Christian left but they're still awesome. I would've never given them another chance if they didn't get booked.

Having a hard time getting into any band?
Older Vanishing Point. I dig the new one but nothing else I've sampled really catches my attention. No clue what's supposed to be the good stuff either so I've just been checking stuff out pretty much at random.

Which band do you think will take people by surprise?
Light of Day, Day of Darkness isn't only going to translate well live, but it's going to be even better than the studio version. :kickass:

Vanishing Point - Nearly 20 years waiting for this...Really looking forward to Pyramaze too!!
Which band has surprised you most in your pre PP prep? I am thinking Lord, the more I dig into their music the more I like it
having a hard time getting into any band? Yeah I cannot get into Green Carnation for the life of me, Haken either
which band do you think will take people by surprise? Hoping Scar Symmetry have a great showing as well as Savage Messiah

Really looking forward to Fates Warning, Circus Maximus, Serious Black and The Gentle Storm as well. Stream of Passion too!!! Its going to be great and I hope I come away with better understanding of some of the bands I am not to keen on....Cheers

Bear

Last edited:
Devin Townsend without a doubt. He's my favorite musician and I've been following him since he was part of Steve Vai's "Sex & Religion" band. I've never had a chance to see him live and I FINALLY get to.

Savage Messiah. I had never listened to them before them being announced for this year's festival. I hate I waited so long! Looking forward to seeing them!

Freedom Call. Sorry to any of their fans because I know they have a huge following (and a lot of releases), but they just aren't my thing. I've tried to give them multiple chance, I just can't get into them.

This is a tough one. I'll go with Ascendia. I think those guys have a good thing going and being one of the newer bands at the festival, I think they'll gain a lot of new fans after their set.

Older Vanishing Point. I dig the new one but nothing else I've sampled really catches my attention. No clue what's supposed to be the good stuff either so I've just been checking stuff out pretty much at random.

I'd recommend their third album Embrace the Silence, that's my fav VP album

What band are you looking forward to most? Hevy Devy, Haken and Scar Symmetry
Which band has surprised you most in you pre PP prep? Serious Black
having a hard time getting into any band? The Gentle Storm
which band do you think will take people by surprise? I think the lesser known power metal bands usually smash it

Fates Warning...AWAKEN THE GUARDIAN holds such a special place in my heart!
Vanishing Point...Wasn't familiar with them but behind Fates they are my most anticipated band.
Scar Symmetry... I have come around to some of the growling in the past few years but I cant get into this bands Growls...take them out and I really think they would appeal to me.
Savage Messiah...wasn't familiar with these guys but after listening to them for the last few months I think they are just going to wreck the place!

Reactions: derrickm
Modern Scar Symmetry actually being pretty sick. I totally wrote them off when Christian left but they're still awesome. I would've never given them another chance if they didn't get booked.

I think the first two post-Christian albums were surprisingly good but not great, but their last album was killer and second only to Holographic Universe to me. They should be done recording the follow up, so maybe we will hear something new as well.

Savage Messiah...wasn't familiar with these guys but after listening to them for the last few months I think they are just going to wreck the place!

YES! These guys kick ass! Been listening to them more than any of the other bands lately. I agree with you, they are going to destroy the place!!!

I know it seems like people have moved on to much cooler pastures, but I figure I would see how people are doing a few weeks out.

Let's hear from the peanut gallery....

First off I will only be at PP for Wed and Thurs and will miss Fri and Sat. So, with that in mind..

This one is easy as I've never seen Blind Guardian and am really really looking forward to finally seeing them live.

Pyramaze. Really looking forward to seeing these guys. I love their last album and it will be a bonus to hear Matt Barlow who is one of my favorite vocalists. "Immortal" was just as good as good as "Disciples of the Sun".

Yes. Stream of Passion. What can I say? I want to like them.

Update...
Was: Gloryhammer. They will put on a really good performance.
Now: Ghost Ship Octavius

I'm thinking Dragonforce will be better than a lot of people expect. I know they surprised me when I started listening to them a lot more in the last couple of months. I originally listed them as the band that will surprise people, but so many people have already seen them I'm thinking Gloryhammer is a better fit for that slot.

Overall Wed and Thurs will kick ass.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see Green Carnation. They're the main reason I'm going. I saw them at Day of the Equinox in Toronto in 05 where they played a full headlining set, then came out and did all of LoDDoD as the encore. Then, I saw them in NYC and Baltimore on the tour the next year. It also doesn't hurt that Stein Roger Sordal's solo albums are some some of my favorite albums from the last 10 years.

Fates Warning will be amazing, and I never thought I'd get to see John Arch live.

Devin Townsend is, well, Devin Townsend. He never fails to amaze me.

What band are you looking forward to most? Fates Warning with John Arch. I really want to see how vintage Fates Warning does it live. Looking forward to Scar Symmetry (of course, since I'm a co-sponsor) as well as Green Carnation. Also looking forward to revisits from Circus Maximus and Haken.

Which band has surprised you most in you pre PP prep? Probably Spock's Beard and Serious Black.

Having a hard time getting into any band? Devin Townsend (sorry, folks!). Also Dragonforce and Gloryhammer. Just have never been a fan of that flavor of power metal.

Which band do you think will take people by surprise? I think Pyramaze will surprise those who haven't listened to their most recent album. That album blew me away when it came out last year, similar to how Myrath's "Legacy" blew me away this year.

Great thread!!!!

What band(s) are you looking forward to most?
I am most looking forward to Scar Symmetry (sponsoring), Circus Maximus, Haken, and Devin Townsend.

Which band has surprised you most in you pre PP prep? Green Carnation were totally unknown to me. I have found LoD/DoD to be totally captivating. Also, while I had heard of Savage Messiah, I never listened to them, thinking that they would be too far on the power side of the spectrum for my tastes, but I instantly loved them on first spin. I had some of Vanishing Point 's albums and Ascendia's debut and enjoyed them, but my PP prep has taken my appreciation of them to a completely whole new level.

Having a hard time getting into any band? While I am a huge Ray-era Fates fan, I will have to say that it was a bit of a struggle to get into Awaken the Guardian, but it now really clicks for me. Also, the other Arch-era songs that they played in Europe are very enjoyable. Overall, I have been able to get into all of the bands, except for two power metal bands. I am sure that they are great bands, but just not my cup of metal.

Which band(s) do you think will take people by surprise? I agree with a lot of folks that Pyramaze will surprise many. The same goes for Ascendia, Savage Messiah, and LORD.

Kudos to Uncle Milton, Shorty Nathan, and Father Glenn for a really exciting line-up!!!!!!!:D

What band are you looking forward to most? Fates Warning because of John Arch. I've seen them 5 times with Ray, why not add the greatest metal cd to the list with the original members?

Which band has surprised you most in you pre PP prep? No surprises here. I was familiar with most every band. Maybe, just maybe the Savage Messiah improvement to the new disc would get my vote

Devon Townsend & Dragonfarts.

which band do you think will take people by surprise? Haken has a ton of material in which to mix it up, so they get my vote, but Ascendia's debut is incredible, so maybe them. I think Evergrey might take some people by surprise in how much alcohol they consume over the events of the week.

Vanishing Point, Pyramaze, Serious Black

Savage Messiah, Lord

Scary Symmetry due to the vocals, Stream of Passion, Fates Warning due to Arch's vocals

Hoping Savage Messiah will kick ass, otherwise Vanishing Point.

Refuge, its been a dream of mine for a decade to see that lineup perform, maybe my favorite trio ever.
Only going to the weekend shows and there's only one band on there I haven't heard (ascendia) and one that ill have to check out deeper (scar symmetry).
I used to like Fates Warning and Vanishing point back in the day just gotta get back into them.
Maybe Savage Messiah? If their live performance has a pretty high intensity.