Programmed drums with Live cymbals

Polpotkin

Hit'er in the shitter
Dec 12, 2005
Sweden
www.myspace.com
Me and my friend have a Dimmu Borgir'ish black metal project. Our goal is to write an album and record it. This is some very fast technical stuff and we don't know any drummer who would be able to play this. So I thought, why don't we program the kicks snare and toms since it will be trigged anyway, and record the cymbals/hihat/ride as usual.
Do you think that this could actually be a good idea? Has it been done before on any known album (I wouldn't be surprised). Is it actually a common technique?

Cheers:kickass:

That's what i'm afraid of... The idea is to work much with velocity and not quantize to the grid... Maybe bounce every drum to own tracks and trig with drumagog, with random samples...

I getting ready to do the same thing pretty much, I have my drummers kit completely triggered and running into a DM5 so the midi data will be recorded along with the kit being miced, once i get some shit recorded im going to run the midi track into EZDrummer and just fuck around with blending the organic kit with the midi kit. i will post some stuff later.

No problem with that.

Personally I think that it is the best way to record an album if you´ve got a drummer that isn´t able to play the stuff.
I am currently thinking of switching to e-drums instead of a real kit because most of the drummers I record aren´t able to play.

They hit the skins with a stick that´s as thick as a pencil and with power that my grandmother would laugh at and in the end they want to sound like Lars Ulrich.
So what do we do?

TRIGGERING! and then mess around with the bleed in the overheads from the toms/snare so you can´t edit the drums perfectly.

Drummers suck!

In the last 4 years of my recording I have only had 2 drummers that were really good at playing!

By the way, here is a black metal project I did completely with programmed drums.
Toms and cymbals from LM4, bass drum and snare my own (just one sample so there is no dynamic-but I didn´t want to have it sound reallistic).

http://www.bloodmoon-band.de/

Just download the complete demo in the music-section.
Site only in German. Sorry!