Providence, RI - Lupos - Feb 25th : Roll Call

akaJUNG72 said:

Goddam, I miss the Trinity Brewhouse! Don't miss the snow though. Have Fun at Lupo's...Good to hear they redid the joint...again.

Oddly enough, I'm getting both today. If anyone sees a big guy at Trinity with a "mug club" mug(the big ones) that has an Opeth sticker on it, come say hi!

Another great Opeth set... my 2nd time seeing them in my home state and 5th overall. The set list was the usual... Ghost Of Perdition, White Cluster, The Amen Corner, The Baying Of The Hounds, Under The Weeping Moon, Closure, The Grand Conjuration, The Drapery Falls, and Deliverance. The lousy part was that Dark Tranquillity were going to play six songs, and ended up playing only five due to time constraints with the club having a dance night thing after the show. Their set was The Wonders At Your Feet, Lost To Apathy, The New Build, Punish My Heaven, and My Negation. I met Anders, Niklas, and Martin after the show.

Just got back myself. Had to drive 3 hours through a fucking blizzard. When I got home, my driveway was under at least a foot of snow. Guess how I'll be spending my Sunday???

Anyway - great show. The Amen Corner was the highlight for me - quite a surprise hearing that one (I was a good little boy and didn't read any setlist posts for the past week...)

I'll post more detail tomorrow. Specifically I want to voice some complaints about the crowd. But, goodnight for now.

T-Rat said:
FUCK YEAH

i'll be there with a cute little asian girl...

say hi!

;-)
Hi! :p

Yes, Dark Tranquillity said they were doing two more songs and then ended up playing only one. I really wanted to hear Monochromatic Stains. :erk: I love watching Mike Stanne! He was climbing all over the speakers, and I was close enough to growl into the mic a couple of times...

Oh well, T-Rat and I got hugs from Niklas. :oops:

Opeth's set was beyond wonderful; it was great that they played Under the Weeping Moon and the other older tracks plus The Drapery Falls (one of my favourites).
I was just about front row center on the floor, and it was absolutely magnificent for my first time (finally!) seeing them.
I can't wait for the next time they come around.....
I can't miss anymore of their shows!

wwallinga said:
I'll post more detail tomorrow. Specifically I want to voice some complaints about the crowd. But, goodnight for now.

Great show. Started out up front about 6-8 people deep center stage. Getting dragged into a pit a couple times started to piss me off. Every time I look at who's moshing it seemed to be the same pack of 14yr olds.
I decided to leave my elbow up at nose level behind me so I could enjoy the show.

My buddy and I headed towards the back during Baying of the Hounds for a leak and a beer. Enjoyed the rest of the show with fewer kids and more space.

DTB - I liked their melodic heavy style

DT - I just didn't like them, period. I thought the vocals were weak, and I found myself bored. Oh well, that's my personal taste.

Opeth - spectacular as always. My now favorite all-time song, Ghost of Perdition was played first. Sent chills through me. My second favorite song, The Drapery Falls, was a pleasant surprise to hear. Deliverance kicked usual ass, and Closure was spectacular. Under the Weeping Moon is awesome live. White Cluster and The Amen Corner are great older tracks to be played in concert. Baying of The Hounds and The Grand Conjuration are unbelieveably heavy live.

Why seperate the songs in explanation? THE WHOLE CONCERT WAS GREAT!!!

OPETH_DT said:
Another great Opeth set... my 2nd time seeing them in my home state and 5th overall. The set list was the usual... Ghost Of Perdition, White Cluster, The Amen Corner, The Baying Of The Hounds, Under The Weeping Moon, Closure, The Grand Conjuration, The Drapery Falls, and Deliverance. The lousy part was that Dark Tranquillity were going to play six songs, and ended up playing only five due to time constraints with the club having a dance night thing after the show. Their set was The Wonders At Your Feet, Lost To Apathy, The New Build, Punish My Heaven, and My Negation. I met Anders, Niklas, and Martin after the show.
At least you saw DT, Tom. My friends suck, so basically I missed the first two bands and came in in the middle of the first Opeth song. Oh well, I thoroughly enjoyed Under The Weeping Moon.

AXE!!!!!! The playing was so much tighter than the last time I caught them at the Palladium, and much louder, too. Setlist was so good. It's nice to see a show where the first three songs are songs I hadn't seen live yet, not to mention how phenomenal Under the Weeping Moon sounded. Great show, great vibe, Mikael was his witty self, maybe my favorite Opeth show I've seen.

Bungle said:
AXE!!!!!! The playing was so much tighter than the last time I caught them at the Palladium, and much louder, too. Setlist was so good. It's nice to see a show where the first three songs are songs I hadn't seen live yet, not to mention how phenomenal Under the Weeping Moon sounded. Great show, great vibe, Mikael was his witty self, maybe my favorite Opeth show I've seen.

Good point about Axe. I thought he was good at the Palladium, but he was so much better last night.

I can never go back to the Palladium! The sound was excellent!

The show was fucking awesome and I was FIRST in line!!! .....But yeah, the snow did suck....

Anyhow, I was thoroughly impressed by Devin Townsend - best opening band I've ever seen I believe.

It was my second time seeing DT, I thought Lost to Apathy (the song I most anticipated) was pretty weak, but the rest was great though the vocals were rough at the start. Solid set though I would have liked to hear that 6th song :erk:

Opeth - too good. Too good. I could even hear Per on the keys! Closure might have been the highlight of the night for me, but Drapery, TGC, and White Cluster weren't far behind.

To anyone that might have been in the same area - I was right in the front at middle of that guard railed area right in front of the stage. Metalman, I did look up into the Mezzanine seating be couldn't see any faces.

Best show I've ever been to - hands down.

Except for those "guitar-wielding" old dudes...........they smelled of cat piss....

Indrid Cold said:

To anyone that might have been in the same area - I was right in the front at middle of that guard railed area right in front of the stage. Metalman, I did look up into the Mezzanine seating be couldn't see any faces.

I think I may have been right behind you or near you, actually, if you were in the middle at the rail. (Girl with bright red hair) Glad I was in that area...seemed somewhat safer and had a better atmosphere. Well, minus the crowd surfers and moshers or whatnot who kept shoving us up front.
Either way, amazing amazing amazing regardless of strange smelling people or kids moshing.

yes, it was a super show... very good sound... the palladium really does suck majorly in comparison...

i was up front on the mendez side... brunette chick between a redhead and a lovely asian girl (my pal...)

really like DTB and DT...

sweet!

Dyed Absinthe said:
I think I may have been right behind you or near you, actually, if you were in the middle at the rail. (Girl with bright red hair) Glad I was in that area...seemed somewhat safer and had a better atmosphere. Well, minus the crowd surfers and moshers or whatnot who kept shoving us up front.
Either way, amazing amazing amazing regardless of strange smelling people or kids moshing.

Yah that was me, she doesn't really have red hair, but it did look like she did. That's my ex girlfriend, it was her first metal show so I was trying to protect her from those seemingly drunk imbeciles flailing around with those ridiculous cardboard guitars. I was also with the tall red-headed guy behind me if you saw him too.

Actually I meant I was the girl with the red hair..hm, maybe you weren't near me, then, because I'm pretty sure I'm not your ex, haha. I was the one with curly red hair.

Yeah, and what was with those cardboard things? I turned around once to see what the fuss was about...seemed a little odd to me.