PUNKS; is they bring metal??

I think they evolved together and influenced each other over the years... thrash and speed metal are a combination of hardcore punk and NWOBHM. Bands like Metallica and Megadeth took the basic idea of fast, aggressive music and added technicality and slow, melodic parts. Bands like Slayer essentially started with the same idea, but made it as extreme as possible. Out of the former evolved modern prog metal, and out of the latter, death and black metal. Basic grindcore is just ultra-heavy, ultra-fast hardcore. Crossover punk like D.R.I. mixed thrash with hardcore.

That's just the way I see it....

Edit: The point of this is that one didn't bring about the other, but they borrowed ideas from each other.

yeahh...
according from your words,yes,truely,old-metalicca,old-slayer,old-megadeth even NWOBHM mix punk with heavy metal to create their own music.........(we all know,NOBHM is from england,england have many good punk bands!!)........and according from my both ears,gamma ray has some influence punk on their heavy metal music..(this is only my opinion,depends yours..)

it takes many year to create a metal with some punk influence.....and the result is,we have the thrash metal.....what we know is, the old school version of thrash is more sound of punk with scum hit style..........

I think punk and the traditional or "arena" type 80's metal are VERY far apart. However, yeah thrash was a combination of traditional heavy metal with the aggression and raw energy of hardcore punk.

there was a time when punk and metal had such floating borders you didnt know what it exactly was. thus punk rock.

and yes speed and thrash are heavily influenced by punk. just listen to the old overkill albums or even to Coverkill.

but in general - punk is for people who want to be 'musicians' but cant play an instrument properly.

i like punk a lot though. just not this kids punk like blink and green day. exploited, vandals, pistols - THAT'S punk.

I really dont think that punk influenced thrash.. maybe the speed and agression of punk influenced metal but not the sound itself.. NWOBHM (angelwitch, iron maiden, motorhead , Venometc.)was way more a influence to early thrashers like metallica, exodus, megadeth, slayer, anthrax, testament, raven, DRI (ok they are somewhat punk influenced.. but not after the album Crossover), Nuclear Assault , Celtic Frost... etc...

Binky said:
WRONG. Man....they didn't create CRAP. All they did was steal it off of Maiden

All Maiden did was steal off Stained Class and Sad Wings of Destiny. :rolleyes:

There's a line between influence and ripoff. Gamma Ray is on the influence side, Kai Hansen is a Metal icon.

it is disturbing to hear that my beloved thrash has punk influences, I keep it in mind but I dont believe it, I mean, it has nothing to do with it, can't it have just risen heavy and fast as punk did back in the day?

Sure, thrash metal have a bit of a punk influence, the raw energy and speed particularly, but that's about it. And there's nothing wrong with punk when done right. Misfits, anyone?

I love punk myself.. its a aggressive music.. and i think its important to get influences from all different types of music to keep metal fresh and not have all bands sounding the same cause they are all influenced by the same bands from the past.. i mean Children of Bodom and Dimmu Borgir must listen to classical music as well as metal.. and the influence greatly benefits them and their music.. as for punk i like it all.. from the 70's to the 90's (yes greenday and other bands people call sell outs.. funny thing is to me there not sell outs if they never changed there music in the first place to get to where they are.. after all they were all in the underground themselves.. same thing in the metal world with the exception of metallica who are sell outs.. R.I.P. Cliff and the metallica of the 80's... ) ... :)