Pure Reason Revolution - hyped or not?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
There's lots of talk going on about this band. Some people have been hyping them quite a bit while others have said they're just an average band.

Anyway, I just saw this thread with all kinds of different views and was wondering what you guys think. I've only heard one of their singles, and while I thought it was okay, based on that 12-minute track it is nowhere near as groundbreaking as some people give them credit for. It does have some cool ideas and melodies happening though. I'm just curious what their full-length is like...

Any thoughts?

I absolutely love them!

They are not groundbreaking by any means, but their sound is pretty fresh.. It's certainly proggy, but there is an alternative touch.. And I love the vocals!
The Dark Third is one of the best albums of the year, imo.

Thanks to Angrafan, I know about this band. Pretty good band. Looking forward to see them at next year's Nearfest!!

First I ever heard of them and if they are playing Nearfest, not sure if I want to now...Then again I do like Porcupine Tree...

Bear said:
First I ever heard of them and if they are playing Nearfest, not sure if I want to now...Then again I do like Porcupine Tree...

But they don't fit Nearfest all that well... :) I mean.. There's a bit of a Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd incluence but a lot of rock/alternative and even metal thrown in there as well..

Been hearing alot of them too, and here is what I think so far:

1. The slow songs are................................sorry, dozed off there for a sec.
2. The more upbeat songs are nothing but boring stoner background music until
they hit, and then they are ok, at best.
3. Vocals are nothing to write home about.
4. Did I miss something, where is the progressive side?
5. Anyone here listen to the band Muse? They do this style of music a hell of alot better, and have been doing so since 1998.

General Zod said:
Why would you need to mix Porcupine Tree with Pink Floyd? Pink Floyd is such a huge, huge influence on PT, especially their early stuff, that such a mixture is completely redundant.

Zod

It's what sounds like to me. If you disagree, doesn't make a difference. To me, it still sounds like a mix of these two bands, whether you like it or not.

A band like Riverside has stated before that some of their influences are Porcupine Tree and, guess who? Pink Floyd. I don't see anything redundant about it.

It's also worth mentioning that Steven Wilson hates being compared with Floyd and their influence has been less apparent on their more recent albums. As for Pure Reason Revolution, not sold on them, they have some interesting arrangements but they sound a little too derivative of Floyd to me and the vocal harmonies don't appeal to me.

Demonspell said:
It's also worth mentioning that Steven Wilson hates being compared with Floyd and their influence has been less apparent on their more recent albums.
Agreed. PT's sound has clearly changed over the years. They've put a good deal of distance between themselves and their early sound.

Zod

General Zod said:
Agreed. PT's sound has clearly changed over the years. They've put a good deal of distance between themselves and their early sound.

Zod

Yes, which is a really good thing if I may add.