Pyramaze announces new singer

That's certainly been the case for me. And for some reason, King on "What Lies Beyond" sounds very familiar. Not unlike David Henriksson (Heel, ex-Insania) in Insania's "World of Ice", IMO.

I'm going have to find a way to get old Pyramaze stuff. LotBc, maybe; where should I start?

That's certainly been the case for me. And for some reason, King on "What Lies Beyond" sounds very familiar. Not unlike David Henriksson (Heel, ex-Insania) in Insania's "World of Ice", IMO.

I'm going have to find a way to get old Pyramaze stuff. LotBc, maybe; where should I start?

Head over to Nightmarerecords.com and pick up Melancholy Beast and Legend of the Bone Carver, and you can get Immortal off Amazon, HMV.co.uk, CDInzane.com and a number of other websites.

I just realized Pyramaze have a rather brilliant strategy for increasing their fan base. I heard of Pyramaze and became a fan because of Matt Barlow, but I stayed a fan because of the great music. Chances are it's only a small matter of time until Tad Morose fans do the same.

Wouldn't the fans of any singer check out his new band?

However, I also got pyramazed after reading that Matt joined and Pyramaze is my favorite band ever since! The music is so epic and powerful, just exactly the way I want metal to be: no simple verse-chorus-solo-songs and yet not too progressive to lose the red thread... great, catchy riffs and amazing melodies, awesome solos, musicianship of ALL members... and an emotional voice! I love all the songs, Lance AND Matt did a really great job! And so will Urban! :)

Can't wait to hear Urban with the band.

Me too, me too!

I somehow fell upon Pyramaze. And was like HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHY HAVENT I HEARD THIS BEFORE!!!!???? This was before Lance left n shit. And I was telling Burn Offerings666 that it would be awesome if Barlow came back... And low and fucking behold he came to the greatest fucking Metal band born to destroy. For a fucking year I waited, along with many of the die hard fans. And by god did they deliver.

And now with Urban, I never really heard of him til I caught word of his existence. I fucking LOVE Bloodbound now, and Tad Morose. Not only does Pyramaze increase its fan base but they also create more fans for their fellow brothers in metal. And I respect that, THANK YOU PYRAMAZE FOR EVERYTHING!

:kickass::kickass::kickass: Your music brings joy to ALL our Hearts :heh::heh:

I somehow fell upon Pyramaze. And was like HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHY HAVENT I HEARD THIS BEFORE!!!!???? This was before Lance left n shit. And I was telling Burn Offerings666 that it would be awesome if Barlow came back... And low and fucking behold he came to the greatest fucking Metal band born to destroy. For a fucking year I waited, along with many of the die hard fans. And by god did they deliver.

And now with Urban, I never really heard of him til I caught word of his existence. I fucking LOVE Bloodbound now, and Tad Morose. Not only does Pyramaze increase its fan base but they also create more fans for their fellow brothers in metal. And I respect that, THANK YOU PYRAMAZE FOR EVERYTHING!

:kickass::kickass::kickass: Your music brings joy to ALL our Hearts :heh::heh:

Well said bro! :kickass:

And so damn true!

Not to tell you guys that you are wrong, because you know your band better than anybody else does, but I just went to youtube, and also on your site and listened to Urban breed. He seems like he sings kinda "flat". Don't get me wrong whatever you guys decide I will support because of your awesome music. I also wish Matt decided to stay with you guys instead of Iced Earth now. Matt was great for Iced Earth before Tim, and he was still 1000 X's better than Tim, but his vocals on the new I/E can't hold a candle in the wind compared to his vocals on your new album. And it would make more sense with your day jobs and his day job as a cop to stay with a band that tours less but still puts out sick music! Okay my rant is over now, but getting back to why I am writing. (Urban) is a good vocalist , but he doesn't seem to fit the powerful, melodic, and often High Pitched vocals of Pyramaze. So what's the deal? Was he the best singer that came to the auditions or is Pyramaze going in a different direction?

Fino A Dopo
Mike

I completely disagree. I think Urban's voice is great. He can do great high pitch vocals, he has a very powerful voice (not as powerful as Matt, but I've never heard anyone with a voice as powerful as Matt's), and melodic vocals is just what he does.
He really is a unique vocalist, and he sounds like he'll fit really well with Pyramaze. Also the cool thing is that he has just the right voice to do both the Lance-era songs and the Matt-era songs, and not many vocalists have the voice to do both the more powerful and heavy "Immortal" and the higher-pitched and more epic "Melancholy Beast" and "Legend of the Bone Carver".
Pyramaze made a great choice by getting Urban on vocals, you'll see. ;)

I admit I'm biased, :) but I KNOW Urban has the range and the power. In fact, I'd guess his range is wider than Lance's and he can hit any note Lance can hit (not that it's a contest, but that seems to be your main concern). I was a bit of a Pyramaze fan before, so I am familiar with the "old" stuff, and although I haven't yet heard all of Immortal, I know Matt's voice from IE. I am curious what you (Mike) checked out on YouTube. There are some clips on there that definitely don't do justice to Urban's singing. (Not trying to "argue" but just honestly curious. :))

To be honest, I am glad to see someone with some questions! Can't let Urban's head get too big. Then he'll be completely impossible.

Either way, we will all see together how Urban pulls off the Lance- and Matt-era stuff.

Shaye

Not to tell you guys that you are wrong, because you know your band better than anybody else does, but I just went to youtube, and also on your site and listened to Urban breed. He seems like he sings kinda "flat". Don't get me wrong whatever you guys decide I will support because of your awesome music. I also wish Matt decided to stay with you guys instead of Iced Earth now. Matt was great for Iced Earth before Tim, and he was still 1000 X's better than Tim, but his vocals on the new I/E can't hold a candle in the wind compared to his vocals on your new album. And it would make more sense with your day jobs and his day job as a cop to stay with a band that tours less but still puts out sick music! Okay my rant is over now, but getting back to why I am writing. (Urban) is a good vocalist , but he doesn't seem to fit the powerful, melodic, and often High Pitched vocals of Pyramaze. So what's the deal? Was he the best singer that came to the auditions or is Pyramaze going in a different direction?

Fino A Dopo
Mike
I may be wrong here, but I'm guessing you only found out about Pyramaze because of Matt singing. I don't know if you are very familiar with the first 2 albums, but Urban breed's voice and style of singing is more similar to that of Lance King's then that of Matt. Therefore I would say that Pyramaze is returning to the sound of the first two albums, rather than going in a different direction. Immortal with Matt behind the mic is the "different" album for me, and if I'm honest I think Urban breed will fit the music much better than Matt did.

I may be wrong here, but I'm guessing you only found out about Pyramaze because of Matt singing. I don't know if you are very familiar with the first 2 albums, but Urban breed's voice and style of singing is more similar to that of Lance King's then that of Matt. Therefore I would say that Pyramaze is returning to the sound of the first two albums, rather than going in a different direction. Immortal with Matt behind the mic is the "different" album for me, and if I'm honest I think Urban breed will fit the music much better than Matt did.

Well said, well said indeed. Not only does Urban have a great tone, but in my opinion he has an amazing balance too. He can be evil, happy, fierce, soft, he can go high and low, and nothing seems out of place. That's why he was a very good choice as he can keep up with all of the old material, as well as contribute something new to the Pyra sound in the future. A very good decision to bring him in!

Fino A Dopo
Mike
You might've watched some of the "not so good" stuff on youtube (video wise). Urban's the perfect fit where Pyramaze is concerned, and he's going to be an AWESOME addition to the band! "Immortal" just came out, and I'm already looking forward to hearing (and hopefully seeing) the band with Urban on the mic. I await the new Pyramaze material with baited breath!

Very sensible comments.

I kinda have the same take on this...but with a twist. I would say that I'm more a fan of the Lance and Urbans style and I was skeptical going into this latest effort with Matt. However, Matt was amazing on Immortal and I believe it sounds as good-maybe better than anything they've ever released..."the different" was better for me.

Then the band blows us away with the announcement of Urban-who is great and I couldn't be happier. Yes Urban sounds more like Lance but has a unique style all his own. Are they returning to the old Pyramaze sound? Will Urban be the perfect mix of Lance and Matt? Will they go in a even more different direction...who knows? All I know is I am grateful for Pyramazes music and the fact that a part-time little metal band from Denmark (and the US-sorry J- M-& L) that does not get the recognition it deserves has captured three of metals best singers!

As the singer merry go-round continues, I believe Pyramaze will not "return " or go back to anything! They will take a major step forward with Urban and take us in a direction that we have maybe never seen or heard...this is a good thing.

Very sensible comments.

I kinda have the same take on this...but with a twist. I would say that I'm more of a fan of the Lance and Urbans style and I was skeptical going into this latest effort with Matt. However, Matt was amazing on Immortal and I believe it sounds as good-maybe better than anything they've ever released..."the different" was better for me.

Then the band blows us away with the announcement of Urban-who is great and I couldn't be happier. Yes Urban sounds more like Lance but has a unique style all his own. Are they returning to the old Pyramaze sound? Will Urban be the perfect mix of Lance and Matt? Will they go in a even more different direction...who knows? All I know is I am greatful for Pyramazes music and the fact that a part-time little metal band from Denmark that does not get the recognition it deserves has captured three of metals best singers!

As the singer merry go-round continues, I believe Pyramaze will not "return " or go back to anything! They will take a major step forward with Urban and take us in a direction that we have maybe never seen or heard...this is a good thing.

Well said, Muz!

I almost share your opinion, I only had no doubts about Matt. I also don't think that Pyramaze will return to anything... they got better and better with every record! The songs on Melancholy Beast were already awesome, but as Toke's solos add something special and the longer the guys play together and know each other's individual style of playing better, it all seems to fit tighter and tighter... and though I still can't get enough of Immortal, I'm already excited to hear something new with Urban behind the mic!

Btw, check out this vid:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a bad ass song, and the perfect video for it as well! "Nosferatu" is easily becoming one of my favorite songs at the moment!

The whole song is just killer!

@ RED...

killer song / video! Thanks for posting.
IMO-Urban has never sounded better than he has on "Modus Vivendi" from Tad Morose. One of my fave metal albums!

'Anubis' is a simple-straight forward kick you in the face metal song!
"its your face that i see-in the mist in my dreams"...

I consider Urban to be a midway point between Lance's high-pitch smooth vocals, and Matt's rough baritone. Either way, I believe he'll sound great :) BTW, when is the next Bloodbound coming out...any inside info on that, lady_space?

"I may be wrong here, but I'm guessing you only found out about Pyramaze because of Matt singing. I don't know if you are very familiar with the first 2 albums, but Urban breed's voice and style of singing is more similar to that of Lance King's then that of Matt. Therefore I would say that Pyramaze is returning to the sound of the first two albums, rather than going in a different direction. Immortal with Matt behind the mic is the "different" album for me, and if I'm honest I think Urban breed will fit the music much better than Matt did."
...........................................................................................................
In response to your thread and along with everyone else's posts after mine. I didn't mean anything negative with my statement. I was simply questioning as of why they chose Urban. Pyramaze is an amazing band and will continue to be even with Urban. I was just wondering why they chose him. I have listened to him on you tube, but I also listened to him on the Pyramaze site when they listed some clips to listen to.
I just personally think he has a flat tone. Now yes that is my opinion after only listening to a few songs and I agree that I should listen to more, and I will. Now I did not start listening to Pyramaze just when Matt joined, but I didn't listen to them from the 1st album either. I started listening to them a little over a year ago with "Legend of the Bone Carver" .