Quadtracked A tuned DI's with Blackouts (can someone test?)

arvoitus

Dec 12, 2006
The Netherlands
I've tried to record some DI tracks with my interface and i'm going to record a song which will be re-amped later (reamp device yet to come).

I want to know if these sound decent when reamped, so can someone try these out?

This is my signal link:
Grover Jackson RR (A standard)
SD Blackouts
*edit, sorry no DI*
EMU0404 USB

This is just a quick test with old strings and i only tuned 2/3 times. It had some time issues so i edited it quick so you could here some small glitches.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3822426/SWD - Quad DI.rar
Dropbox, so it can take a minute or 5 before its ready.

Edit: If necessary, here are midi drums (122bpm):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3822426/drums.mid

Thank you for those who spend time on it.

Why not just record straight to E-Mu 0404 USB Hi-Z input?
Or there is clipping even at minimal gain?
Now that i'm thinking, i'm actually starting to doubt if i already did that. These DI's are recorded before i went on a holiday.
I think these are indeed recorded directly to the E-MU 0404 usb.

Unless it has a pad, it should clip the pres even on minimal gain. They are usually +10 all the way down.
I just tested it, the Blackouts doesn't clip my E-MU when its plugged straight in.

Below is a reamp of your DI's.

There is some slopiness in the DI's and that does not help
and also I had a lot of trouble controlling the fizz as you will hear
in this clip.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2785995/arvoitus-1-1.mp3
Thanks for helping me out.
I definitely hear the fizz in your track, do you know what causes the fizz?
I also hear a lack of brightniss in your clip, but i know that is caused by my old strings.

I agree with the sloppiness, i recorded them in a hurry so they're not very tight and mostly the palmmutes arent very precise. But i wanted to know if i can record some DI tracks that are "ok". So do you think they're usefull?

I definitely hear the fizz in your track, do you know what causes the fizz?

I think the fizz has 3 causes. One is caused by the playing style ( particularly the palm mutes ) and one is caused by me not removing those frequencies from the mix. When I removed the high frequencies I lost the texture in the guitar tone and I prefer fizzy to textureless. The third cause is the clipping that is occurring on the DI's.

I also hear a lack of brightniss in your clip, but i know that is caused by my old strings.

No, I dont think so. I reamped it on the dark side because I thought that was appropriate for the song. It would have been easy to reamp a brighter version of your song, but then it would have been fizzy and bright and I prefer fizzy and dark.

Edit
----
The guitar and interface and DI's are OK, except for the clipping.
Those black outs have a massive low end and also a little bit of fizz so
I think the playing style will have to accomodate for that.

arvoitus, are track recorded with tube screamer of some sort?
Because AHB-1, for example, does not cause such serious distortion even close to strings when recorded direct in Hi-Z input...
I have some tracks with AHB-1 on ESP Eclipse recorded direct to E-Mu 0404 USB, and signal is just different - no such distortion.

I think the fizz has 3 causes. One is caused by the playing style ( particularly the palm mutes ) and one is caused by me not removing those frequencies from the mix. When I removed the high frequencies I lost the texture in the guitar tone and I prefer fizzy to textureless. The third cause is the clipping that is occurring on the DI's.

Edit
----
The guitar and interface and DI's are OK, except for the clipping.
Those black outs have a massive low end and also a little bit of fizz so
I think the playing style will have to accomodate for that.
Alright, this is some cool advice that i can work with. What do you think is wrong with my palmmutes?

arvoitus, are track recorded with tube screamer of some sort?
Because AHB-1, for example, does not cause such serious distortion even close to strings when recorded direct in Hi-Z input...
I have some tracks with AHB-1 on ESP Eclipse recorded direct to E-Mu 0404 USB, and signal is just different - no such distortion.
No, they're not recorded with a boost/tubescreamer or any device.
On the EMU (straight into the hi-z input) i put the gain on the second line so i hit the -6db (peaks at -3db). What do you normally use?

Alright, this is some cool advice that i can work with. What do you think is wrong with my palmmutes?

The fizz is most noticeable during the palm mutes but it has more to do with the clipping than it does with your technique. What is the cause of that ? I cant believe the black outs clip that heavily, it must be some thing else.

Also, when I reamped those DI's, the bass frequencies exploded out of the cab, the black outs are huge down there. The huge low end is going to affect the way palm mutes sound thru a high gain amp, so I would think that the palm mute technique would have to take into account the huge low end.

@deluther, can you maybe post a screenshot or a DI track of your Blackouts straight into your EMU0404 usb?

@aboutblank, it sounds like the guitars are accelerating (or increased in speed). The drum track seems ok, but the guitars sound really odd arround 0:07 and 0:10.
Though: Cool sound! This isn't a 5150/6505, am i right?

The fizz is most noticeable during the palm mutes but it has more to do with the clipping than it does with your technique. What is the cause of that ? I cant believe the black outs clip that heavily, it must be some thing else.

Also, when I reamped those DI's, the bass frequencies exploded out of the cab, the black outs are huge down there. The huge low end is going to affect the way palm mutes sound thru a high gain amp, so I would think that the palm mute technique would have to take into account the huge low end.
Alright, now i see the issue. Well, the tuning is A standard so that can contribute to the low-end problem (could a small highpass before re-amping fix the issue a bit?).

Atm my guitar is lying arround in parts due to cleaning, intonation and new strings so i can't try anything else out. I'll try to adjust the stringheight and be more careful with gain.

These DI tracks were recorded straight into the EMU0404 so i can try a DI the next time (to see if it matters).

@deluther, can you maybe post a screenshot or a DI track of your Blackouts straight into your EMU0404 usb?
ECII_AHB1_0404USB.png

It`s not mine, I`m not using 0404 USB.

The blackouts of my guitars were clipping as hell and I had to lower the pickup height to avoid clipping on my DI tracks.