question about D.I. tracking.

ATLA

Oct 12, 2007
The North
ok i did my fair share of research here...so if i missed something while searching through oz's reamp guide or other post related to the subject please dont engage the flame to hard.

im using my Samson S direct Plus.

signal chain is. emg81/input-->outputlink/podxt-->samson balanced output-->maudio1010lt-->sonar.

battery button pushed down on back of samson.
guitar speaker switch also pushed down.

tracks peak at a max around -18db's. this is with outputs maxed in the maudio control panel.

is this going to be to soft of a signal to reamp the track? im trying to achieve a max around the suggested -3db..

any and all help appreciated!

*the reason i posted this in the equipment section is because i think the problem is mainly related to the Samson.*

Sorry, I am not familiar with the Samson, but DI's with a Peak of -18 I would consider too low.

I don't really understand your signal chain either.

"signal chain is. emg81/input-->outputlink/podxt-->samson balanced output-->maudio1010lt-->sonar"

ahh sorry all i meant was..

my guitar with emg 81 --> the samson s plus --> the m-audio1010lt--> sonar.

i just realized that the other stuff isnt actually part of that...

also... stupid question but would i be able to reamp myself with this D.I.?

honestly, you should have no problem with a signal peaking at -18...i don't know how your converters are calibrated and all that, but with my setup, 0dbvu(analog) = -16dbfs(digital)...this isn't exact, but pretty close

so yea - when shit's hitting the 0 mark on the preamp, it's reading -16 on the digital inputs - which makes me wonder how all these guys track DI's as hot as -3db without clipping the fuck out of their front end...and if, for some reason, the track is too quiet when you're going to reamp, normalize the bitch a few db's louder and you should be good to go

uhm, sorry for noob questioning again but.. can i reamp with the Samson s direct plus?

in theory i would go.. sonarw/d.i.tracks through output's of m-audio1010lt--->input of samson. then output link of samson--->recto--->57---1010lt xlr input?

.......... 0dbvu(analog) = -16dbfs(digital)............
so yea - when shit's hitting the 0 mark on the preamp, it's reading -16 on the digital inputs - which makes me wonder how all these guys track DI's as hot as -3db without clipping the fuck out of their front end............

Good Quality Mic preamps can deliver gain beyond the 0 dbvu mark without nasty clipping.

You can't reamp with ACTIVE direct injection boxes.

And the proper signal chain is:

guitar > di box (1 Megaohm input impedance) > preamp > soundcard line in

or

guitar > soundcard hi-z input (1 Megaohm input impedance + preamp)

uhm, sorry for noob questioning again but.. can i reamp with the Samson s direct plus?

in theory i would go.. sonarw/d.i.tracks through output's of m-audio1010lt--->input of samson. then output link of samson--->recto--->57---1010lt xlr input?

The "Input" to "Output Link" is just a straight through connection (quickly looking at a signal path of it). You would be feeding a Line Level output of the 1010 into the Input of the Sampson (doing nothing to it) and feeding the same Line Level signal out to your amp. In this case the Sampson would be doing nothing to the signal and your amp would receive a Line Level signal (assuming the 1010 output is a Line Level). You need a Reamp Box to convert the Balanced Line Level 1010 signal to an Unbalanced Instrument Level signal that your amp is expecting.

EDIT: didn't see your post Mutant. I had the reply box open from 10 mins ago. :)