Status
Not open for further replies.

lessthanjake328

New Metal Member
Sep 1, 2005
i have a few questions actually:

1)
Battle Metal-

0:00 - what instrument(s) is doing the lead? a horn of some sort with a violin/viola?

2:22 - what sort of flute is that during the interlude?

2:35 - what sort of violin/viola or trumpet/horn is doing this?

To Holmgard and Beyond

0:00 - again, what instruments are doing the lead here?

1:34 - during the instrumental, what instruments are those?

im (obviously) horrible at picking out exactly what instrument everything is... whoever answers, if you don't mind, please give me as precise of a name as possible.. also, please give the song/time of the instrument you are answering. thanks! :)

2)
during recordings, does Turisas use a keyboard to make all of the sounds besides Violin and Accordion, or do they have people who play the actual instruments in studio?

3)
On an accordion, i always thought that there was only one type of sound that came out (for example at 3:00 on "To Holmgard and Beyond"). Are there more types of sounds that can come out, or just that one?

edit:
4)
last q (i think :p ) - how does Turisas replicate all of these instruments/sounds live? Do they make do with Violin and Accordion, or do they have click tracks with the extra instruments added in. (i saw them 2 months ago, but i having too much fun to pay attention haha)

thank you everybody who responds. Turisas forever! :)

4)if you had looked up vids on youtube, you could see they have an accordeonist and a violinist (fuckin' King Olli!) on their live and recording line-up ;)

how come you didn't notice that? how stoned/drunk were you? :p

last q (i think :p ) - how does Turisas replicate all of these instruments/sounds live? Do they make do with Violin and Accordion, or do they have click tracks with the extra instruments added in. (i saw them 2 months ago, but i having too much fun to pay attention haha)

thank you everybody who responds. Turisas forever! :)

4)if you had looked up vids on youtube, you could see they have an accordeonist and a violinist (fuckin' King Olli!) on their live and recording line-up ;)

if you read it again, he knows they have violin and accordian, he's asking whether they have other instruments live too or whether they have click tracks for the instruments they don't have live
who's the stoned/drunk one? :p hehe

He call himself Less Than Jake.

What do you expect?

thank you Katie. yes, andreass, im quite aware of Turisas' lineup.

shinster, thats very mature of you to judge me by my screen name... which, btw, is a screen name ive used for 8+ years because i liked the band a lot when i was younger.

so now that we've gotten that out of the way, would anybody mind helping me with these? :)

Nngh, all pulled from the album I happen to have sat next to me, I thought for a moment I would have to go out to my car.
Other bits are what I guess.

Live ~ I presume its a backing track, mostly because I've never seen a choir or an orchestra hidden in the wings.

Holmgard and Beyond around 3mins, seems to be an accordion, guitar fuzz and eventually drums
*act of plagarism*
'Orchestral arrangements and programming by Mathias Nygard.'
Followed by a sentence which names said noises as samples. From Vienna...snazzy

As for the rest of it, I'm particularly crap at picking out instruments too, so can't help Sorry!!

Katie, roll on bloodstock, I'm bored as fuck=)

I'm sure I've read on Wikipedia :)blush: it owns) that Turisas use a backing track for all the instruments apart from what the touring musicians play ?

And reading the little booklet you get with the album CD may help you work out which instrument is playing when and where?

I remember when I first started listening to Turisas, I couldn't tell the difference between the accordian and violin sounds :D :oops:. I think I can now, although I wouldn't be sure.

Nngh, all pulled from the album I happen to have sat next to me, I thought for a moment I would have to go out to my car.
Other bits are what I guess.

Live ~ I presume its a backing track, mostly because I've never seen a choir or an orchestra hidden in the wings.

Holmgard and Beyond around 3mins, seems to be an accordion, guitar fuzz and eventually drums
*act of plagarism*
'Orchestral arrangements and programming by Mathias Nygard.'
Followed by a sentence which names said noises as samples. From Vienna...snazzy

As for the rest of it, I'm particularly crap at picking out instruments too, so can't help Sorry!!

Katie, roll on bloodstock, I'm bored as fuck=)

tell me about it! I need to get the fuck out of leeds for a while, watch some awesome bands, forget about all this shit and have a good time singing shiny children and making, er, certain jokes.... :p

i have a few questions actually:

1)
Battle Metal-

0:00 - what instrument(s) is doing the lead? a horn of some sort with a violin/viola?

Mostly trumpets, but I think there's some other horns underneath as well supporting it. These are "keyboard sounds" - more on this vs. samples below) - mostly from a really old EMU Proteus1 (1980's!!!). It's obviously a guitar lead that kicks in a bit later.

2:22 - what sort of flute is that during the interlude?

A soprano recorder, not a flute. This is not keyboards, but a recorded instrument.

2:35 - what sort of violin/viola or trumpet/horn is doing this?

Hard to say really :heh: I mean, it's a mix of a keyboard brass section (trumpets, horns, and trombones) together, but really sound like none of them :lol: There's also some strings and pads and all sorts of stuff...

To Holmgard and Beyond

0:00 - again, what instruments are doing the lead here?

It's a sampled brass section of trumpets, trombones, french horns and a string section of violins, violas, cellos. Probably also some wind instruments to add attack and timbre - can't remember fully.

1:34 - during the instrumental, what instruments are those?
String section as above, English Horn and flute

during recordings, does Turisas use a keyboard to make all of the sounds besides Violin and Accordion, or do they have people who play the actual instruments in studio?

Most of it is sampled, so technically it's a bit different from what you'd understand by "keyboards". As a simple clarification you could say it's an actual instrument with each tone, articulation, note legth etc etc. recorded separately as a small soundclip which you then use to build up the line. It's a huge puzzle... and it gives me a headache thinking of it again :) So you basically use the real recorded instrument, but in very tiny clips.

On an accordion, i always thought that there was only one type of sound that came out (for example at 3:00 on "To Holmgard and Beyond"). Are there more types of sounds that can come out, or just that one?
Well right and wrong... Accordion sounds SOUND pretty similar, but there's a lot of options in choosing the details in the sound depending on in how many octaves the same note comes out, thus affecting the timbre of the sound. It has a bass register (left hand) and a treble register (right hand), so it's pretty extensive in that way also. In this particular part you mention, I think we recorded the bass line separately from the treble line because of technical reasons. Wikipedia will answer the details if you're interested

how does Turisas replicate all of these instruments/sounds live? Do they make do with Violin and Accordion, or do they have click tracks with the extra instruments added in. (i saw them 2 months ago, but i having too much fun to pay attention haha)

It's a combination of everything. Re-arranged lines, more weight on accordion and violin live, smaller choirs as we're only a few singing on stage, some compromises here and there, and backing tracks - especially after we lost the keyboard player.

Wow, thank you! I never knew what sampling meant before, but that explains so much. You are quite the composer Nygård!

Nygård, can you provide information on where i can buy a soprano recorder? i have never heard a recorder sound like that. you seem very knowledgeable about your instruments, i was wondering if being plastic has anything to do with bad sounding recorders? as i said, i have never heard a recorder that actually sounds good, until i find out that is what instrument was used in Battle Metal. and when i googled it, some guy played a wooden recorder and it sounded good.

the only recorders i can find to buy are plastic ones or like $500 USD ones.

You can pick up a decent soprano recorder for about £10/20, that's usually for a wooden one. I've got a massive one in my loft (I think it's about £40, not cheap) but it's plastic, you know the black and white ones? I don't think the material affects the quality, more just the sound, some people prefer wood, some prefer plastic. I don't actually play either (half assed percussionist and a currently fumbling with a bass guitar on permenant loan from my sister)

Most of it is sampled, so technically it's a bit different from what you'd understand by "keyboards". As a simple clarification you could say it's an actual instrument with each tone, articulation, note legth etc etc. recorded separately as a small soundclip which you then use to build up the line. It's a huge puzzle... and it gives me a headache thinking of it again So you basically use the real recorded instrument, but in very tiny clips.

Sampling, for a shorter way of putting it :p If you watch Bill Bailey's Bewilderness, he explains and demonstrates this fully through the medium of stand up comedy!

To be honest, I thought you lot borrowed a brass orchestra for that, a very well done on the technicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.