If In A Used CD Section In A Store and See a Band You Never Heard Of Do You...

Actually... if I could tell it was a Trad Doom band, I might go and purchase the CD blindly. Just because so far I've never heard a Trad Doom band that I hate.

But how would I tell it's Trad Doom?

I discovered Dark funeral this way..
i was just roaming the halls of metal era (a metal cd store in greece) when I found a black metal section. I started looking at the covers and bands , nothing really got my attention except for secrets of the black arts..
yes , the image definately intrigues you to buy something.

But , how can you say no to this ?? It is just awesome (if you like black metal)
63_302.jpg

I've made a few blind purchases by albums I haven't heard, but I can't really say any of them were by bands I'd never heard of. As far as metal goes, I'd read about a number of extreme bands in magazines and was somewhat schooled on the classics before I started seriously venturing into stores in search of music. I purchased a few discs by Napalm Death, Death, Carcass, etc. knowing who they were, but not how they sounded. They were ultimately wise choices for me though. There used to be a small local record store chain where a number of people were bringing in their old thrash/death metal collections in the mid 90s for the places to sell for like $5-6, and I stumbled upon a number of gems by Testament, Slayer and others from this. But these were all bands I'd at least heard of before hand.

I think the blind mailorder purchases back then were more interesting. You'd buy a title on, say, Nuclear Blast, and it would come with their whole list of available records. I know a number of people blindly purchased albums from these with not much other than the band and album name as a reference. I can remember being tempted to buy things like this at the time, but I personally never wanted to take that risk.

Used cd bins are not organized enough for me to bother looking. Look at the one in FYE for example.

i used to buy lots of random used cds. i found a lot of good stuff and a lot of crap.

the used cd place that i'd buy stuff from is really good at organzing all the used stuff. they've got a pretty decent metal section there.

the new section sucks now because they fired the guy who was in charge of it. now it's mostly crap.

I heard Anal Cunt is good, but I didn't bother to check them out because of stupid song titles and their absolutely offending band name. Plus I heard they are grindcore.

Grindcore in general is not to be taken seriously. The point of bands like Anal Cunt is to be extremely obnoxious and the song titles, the band name, and lyrics are supposed to be ridculous. That's part of the appeal. OhioGrinder will back me up on this one.

Grindcore in general is not to be taken seriously. The point of bands like Anal Cunt is to be extremely obnoxious and the song titles, the band name, and lyrics are supposed to be ridculous. That's part of the appeal. OhioGrinder will back me up on this one.

You're wrong. Anal Cunt are not the only grind band. Plenty of grind is very serious and emotionally-charged; just because you do not bother to learn of any other bands does not mean they don't exist. Just saying...

Uh I'm very well schooled in grind and yes it is emotionally charged lyrically but as far as the music goes it's supposed to be somewhat obnoxious to give off an angry feeling. I didn't say it was senseless obnoxiousness. The same goes for 80s hardcore which obviously influenced grindcore. Just listen to Damaged by Black Flag. That album is obnoxious as hell which gives off an angsty feeling to the music.

"I was so wasted I was a hippie I was a burnout I was a dropout I was out of my head I was a surfer I had a skateboard I was so heavy man, I lived on the strand I was so wasted I was so fucked up I was so messed up I was so screwed up I was out of my head I was so jacked up I was so drunk up I was so knocked out, I was out of my head I was so wasted I was wasted."

Well, I've bought a few bands that happened to be gems. Then again some bands I bought used sucked. A lot of the times when I buy used CD's they're very rare; I can't even find them unopened in the store that I bought it from. Bands I recall that were gems for me:

Apoptyma Berzerk - Industrial EBM band
Death Sentence - Melodic Death Metal
Daylight Torn - Gothic Hardrock/metal
Colder thy Kiss - Gothic Doom Metal
Dominance - Melodic Death Thrash
Stonege - Melodic Death

They're more, just can't think of them at the moment.

... Check out all the covers to see what looks metal? Once you found the metal album that intrigues you, what makes you decide to buy it? Is the cover, the song titles, the amount of instruments thrown into the band such as violin, keys, female vocals etc? Or is it all the above? Or if I'm missing more reasons, list 'em.

My friend does this all the time, w/ new and old c.d's. He views the lable the band is on, the song titles, the cover art, and some other things, and he has found dozens and dozens of killer bands, and releases, this way.

I never buy anything I haven't heard of. Too much music out there I actively want, not enough funds.

I discovered Dark funeral this way..
i was just roaming the halls of metal era (a metal cd store in greece) when I found a black metal section. I started looking at the covers and bands , nothing really got my attention except for secrets of the black arts..
yes , the image definately intrigues you to buy something.

But , how can you say no to this ?? It is just awesome (if you like black metal)
63_302.jpg

my lowly opinion, the only thing that does not make this album an automatic qualifier for the "totally generic, run-of-the-mill, cookie cutter black metal" garbage can is the cover of VON "Satanic Blood". Gotta admit, it's pretty good. Though I suppose it would be difficult to fuck up that song.

Now that I have brought it up, I gotta go on a little about that song. Easily one of the greatest black metal songs EVER. Typifies just about everything that makes black metal great (and, conversely, highlights what a lot of black metal is missing). Very simple, brutal, violent and evil.

ill buy something I havent heard before.. but not something i have never heard OF. Its too much of a risk to drop $10 or more on a cd based on the label, artwork, or whatever. Call me cheap if you want, but its just my opinion.