question about lessons

As long as you know what you want to learn and how to learn it, you don't need a teacher. If not, take one. Always remember: There's always more stuff to learn, there are always ways to improve.

I have to sort of disagree here. From my POV:
Taking lessons will always be good to learn about proper technique, musicality and musical traditions, to get feedback and being stopped when your practise becomes stuck in a dead end street . If you have a good teacher, you'll also get inside knowledge and experience about (depending on the teacher) performing, recording or just about the instrument and equipment, which, in any case, is worth taking with you.
Sure there are some good players that are self taught, but if you look at the big guys, the most of them were privileged to go through serious music education.

Maybe it depends on what your goal is.
If you just want to rock out a bit, maybe it is not necessary. But I learned so many things that are riveting about music from my teachers at the university, during the last years! ...and I will continue to take lessons after I graduate! After originally starting to learn guitar with a teacher, I haven't had guitar lessons for some years before I auditioned to college, and now I enjoy it again! :headbang: