Question about Metal Foundry drum samples.

Apr 18, 2006
Are these samples worth the money? At £50 I guess it's worth a gamble. One problem that I anticipate is whether the samples are copy protected? I use 3 different computers depending on the project and location. Will i be able to just copy all the samples to an external hard drive that i can then take around to sessions with me?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sam

Just out of curiosity where have you found Metal Foundry for £50 ? :p

IMO, the overheads sound really great but the rest suck , some toms are usable, the snare and kick all suck. I think the snares and the toms in the original S2.0 are miles ahead the one in mf. And I'd just use slate or custom samples for the kicks.

IMO, the overheads sound really great but the rest suck , some toms are usable, the snare and kick all suck. I think the snares and the toms in the original S2.0 are miles ahead the one in mf. And I'd just use slate or custom samples for the kicks.

Would have to really disagree here. I think TMF, on the whole, sounds far better than stock SD2 as long as you tweak some stuff. IMO the kicks and the snares in TMF are much much better than SD2's once you EQ/compress them.

Would have to really disagree here. I think TMF, on the whole, sounds far better than stock SD2 as long as you tweak some stuff. IMO the kicks and the snares in TMF are much much better than SD2's once you EQ/compress them.

Yep. I think also the MF sounds better.

People seem to forget sometimes that the SD2 sounds are pre-processed by outboard stuff by the guys who recorded the samples. MF instead incl. raw and un-processed sounds from the session in Sweden. So comparing ain't that easy.

Nevertheless, MF is even after processing a bit "thin" and more extreme metal vibey to me. If you're looking more fatter, big, "america" type of rock thing then I'd check the Steven Slate stuff to combine with basic SD2..

I really like the NirZ snare in S2.0, and I've been processing it as such: I control the ring with the velocity envelope, lower the bottom mic in the mix a fair bit, make sure to have the 1176 track nice and prominent, bus all the snare tracks to a master snare track and eq that as needed (usually a cut at 400, and a high-shelf boost) and then comp slightly with an attack of ~20 ms. Then, I drop the snare bleed in the OH's by like 3 dB to kill that annoying snap, and then HP/LP the AMB close mic and then compress it like 4-5 dB with a really fast attack to catch the attack of the snare and make it less prominent, so the overall track can be mixed louder and just add awesome fatness (I still end up GClipping it though)

And of course, most of those were suggested to me by the fine folks on here, so many thanks! :headbang: (though I'm the first that I know of to drop the snare in the OH's, probably because I seem to be the only one ever bothered by that god awful snap :lol: )

I really like the NirZ snare in S2.0, and I've been processing it as such: I control the ring with the velocity envelope, lower the bottom mic in the mix a fair bit, make sure to have the 1176 track nice and prominent, bus all the snare tracks to a master snare track and eq that as needed (usually a cut at 400, and a high-shelf boost) and then comp slightly with an attack of ~20 ms. Then, I drop the snare bleed in the OH's by like 3 dB to kill that annoying snap, and then HP/LP the AMB close mic and then compress it like 4-5 dB with a really fast attack to catch the attack of the snare and make it less prominent, so the overall track can be mixed louder and just add awesome fatness (I still end up GClipping it though)

jesus christ, I've been mixing drums for the last hour or so and that's nearly exactly what I did :zombie::lol:. Except that I choose black beauty snare instead of NirZ. At which frequency do you lopass amb ? I did it at 10Khz.

I actually dig the eq, transient designer and eq inside the superior/mf interface enough that I will use them as inserts on the kick, snare and toms.

All busing though... Fuck the interface. :lol:

Also: I have to agree on the snare sentiment, I'm not a huge fan of most of the MF snares. I also HATE Thomas' fucking bullshit signature ride in position 1.

There are a lot of things that annoy me in both, but the SD libraries are a lot more workable than MF. In Metal foundry the snares are absolute SHIT. I think the idiot that tuned them broke the drum key off on the snare cranking on the god damned things, don't expect to get any meat out of them what-so-ever, the kicks are decent but are so fucking mid heavy its ridiculous. SD was a lot mroe traditional int eh setup of the drums (tunnings, mics, mic positions etc.) but the the cymbal layout (which you cannot pan around or move on the screen) are completely fucked the main ride and china are to the left (traditional setup they are on the right) and the high crash that is supposed to be over the hi tom is over the 2nd floor tom and the low crash which is supposed to be just over the low rack tom is where the high crash is supposed to be. And you can;t move any of that around. To top it off the SD2.0 Midi mapping is an alteration of the Generic Roland map which means if you write shit on guitar pro or are used to the numbering system, you will have to go into SD and remap everything.

But back to the main question, you won't a traditional rock/metal sound (big, fat, punchy, clear, scooped, roomy and realistic that really cuts in the mix without dominating the other instruemnts) out of MF, your actually better off using the SD library and doing kick/snare sample blending or replacing (whichever you like better for the session). MF seems to be great for the paper thin, high tune experimental shit like limp bizkit or korn and other nu metal crap.

I like Metal Foundry. I use it on all my pre-prods and some album productions as well (where midi drums are recorded). i have copied alot of other bands drumsound with MF, and it sounds very similar to the original.

Worth the money Smokescreensam!

Love TMF, best sample library yet, especially the cymbals and rooms are killer. I am supplementing the kicks and snares with other samples but they can definitely work on thier own with a lot of sculpting as they are raw.

jesus christ, I've been mixing drums for the last hour or so and that's nearly exactly what I did :zombie::lol:. Except that I choose black beauty snare instead of NirZ. At which frequency do you lopass amb ? I did it at 10Khz.

Yeah, I was using the Black Beauty at first, but I realized its lower pitch and mid-focus wasn't working too well in my EP, and I'm much happier with how the NirZ snare is working out! I've been LP'ing the AMB Close a lot more aggressively actually, like 5.5k, so I can mainly use it for beefing up the snare and toms without adding too much harshness to the cymbals!

And TheDriller, I do all my processing in Reaper, outputting the files raw from S2.0! (the only internal processing I do is the aforementioned bleed control, lowering the snare in the OH's slightly - oh, and the snare envelope control, and occasional individual cymbal volume adjustments)

Honestly I find the sounds of The Metal Foundry to be generally awful. I regularly deal with raw drums that sound much better - which in many ways defeats the entire point of using it.

The stock SD2.0 library is still the best, and to me, the only one worth having. Those room mics alone have been living in my pants ever since I first used them. That and the golden trio of snares are absolutely godly. Nir Z, Black Beauty and Slingerland. Seriously gorgeous. The clear toms aren't half bad either.

MF sounds very raw, not as ready to use as avatar or hit factory IMHO.
the cymbals sound great, the rest needs some tweaking what can lead to really god results...if you tweak right!

cheers
S.