Question about origin of metal

heres UFO 1970
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmX-wJXMObs&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nTGTCSGj30&feature=related[/ame]

we can find more elements of the metal groove and ideas in the clips I posted. I would not have listened to this UFO very often even if I had heard of them at that time, sounds more like The Amboy Dukes. AGAIN beside the Uriah Heep song Look at Yourself NOWHERE did I say these bands were metal bands or these songs were metal songs, only to illustrate where various bits and pieces later used in metal could be found and to illustrate who came up with these elements first. I said albums varied alot during that time, songs also varied alot, I dont care what all you can hear in that Rush song, there are sections that sound straight up like metal. I dont care that there is not as much distortion as current metal, I dont care that the drummers are not doing constant bass drums rolls. I dont care that the vocalists arent singing love for Satan, blood and gore or growling like damn fools. These examples I showed are those I know of the rootes of metal, the bands that clearly outside of blues or psychodelic influenced hardrock and created the elements that influenced metal. Being the same age group as most of the guys involved in the metal scene of the early 80's I just know when these guys were kids and teens like I was they were also listening to and being heavily influenced by this music. Later in the transitional and evolving period of the mid and late 70's is not the era I was concentrating on, its NOT the founding era, nor is it my era, I was mostly into fusion and progressive rock by that time or some of the more commercial music for partying purposes. Of couse you can find songs more clearly in the metal genre it was further along in the evolution chain, Im picking foundation blocks here and there when they were more scattered within albums and songs.

I hate genres... Tell me what makes "metal" metal. Just because it sounds heavy or metally? The song structure? The use of distorted guitars? What? :loco:

metallicness \m/ NOT heaviness. Stratovarius isn't very heavy but it is metallic.

A little metal history for you also:

Metal has been around since the late 60's. So why are people saying, "Black Sabbath didn't start metal! See? There's a dude from 1970 here!"

Here is what I believe: It was a mixture of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Deep purple who started it (All formed in 1968)... also some earlier progressive/phsyicadelic rock had a big influence. Look at some of the insane riffs and awesomeness in Pink Floyd.

Ok, here's something to chew on, regarding the topic at hand. It's a multi-part series of vids, so have at it!

Last edited by a moderator: