Good mainstream 2010+ prog metal?

Postulate

Have a nice day! :)
Jul 17, 2008
Hello friends,

Does anyone have any albums from 2010 onward that could be considered 'mainstream' prog metal, i.e. vaguely in the vein of Dream Theater, that they like? I'm thinking of bands like Seventh Wonder, Circus Maximus , Vanden Plas,and so on.

I have not kept up with the genre for several years and I was wondering if any of the recent releases have been worth getting.

Aside from the ones you mention (Circus Maximus put out an excellent album in 2012), the only other one that comes to mind is Vangough. I really enjoyed thier 2013 release Between the Madness

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMl4_5eta_E&hd=1[/ame]

There's this band called Flying Colors that I think is really great, worth giving a shot. They released 2 albums, and from the last time I put them on they sounded great. They arent exactly prog metal, but still similar enough to the genre to be worth checking out. The vocalist is decent, but its the instrumentation that really puts them apart. They arent as heavy as Dream Theater may be for example, but more "artistic" kind of music, focused more on the instrumental side of things than just pure heavyness.

Other than that I cant think of any others, but the ones recommended by the guys above me should be worth checking out.

One of my favorite discoveries the last years are this band: Distorted Harmony from Israel. They play progressive metal, but with a fresh approach, integrating elements of other styles like jazz, djent, and electronica, into a seamless blend of tonal palettes, without ever sacrificing their integrity. Prowess musicanship, excellent compositions, and an incredible chemistry within the band members are 3 reasons to check them out. Add to that the
soothing voice of Misha Soukhinin, and you have a delicate mix that will satisfy both your headbanging as well as emotional desire. Highly recommended :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've managed to miss Haken then certainly check out all their albums.

I am aware of Haken, but for whatever reason they never clicked with me. I heard Aquarius and part of Visions, but haven't heard the Mountain yet.

Aside from the ones you mention (Circus Maximus put out an excellent album in 2012), the only other one that comes to mind is Vangough. I really enjoyed thier 2013 release Between the Madness

Pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation.

hey guys, do you like flying colors?

They're solid but I'm not crazy about them. I would put them more in the Enchant or Spock's Beard camp, more of that AOR-tinged prog rock than prog metal, but maybe that's hair-splitting.

This looks promising.

I'm going to look at the rest in a bit, thanks guys.

I like Illusion Suite from Norway very much. Especially their debut is pure gold. Mythodea's debut was also very cool, but it is closer to symphonic progressive metal. You may also check Anthriel - "The Pathway", Epysode - "Obsessions" and maybe Aspera - "Ripples".

I like Illusion Suite from Norway very much. Especially their debut is pure gold. Mythodea's debut was also very cool, but it is closer to symphonic progressive metal. You may also check Anthriel - "The Pathway", Epysode - "Obsessions" and maybe Aspera - "Ripples".

Ha! Illusion Suite almost sounds like a parody of prog metal band names

Dream + Theater
Shadow + Gallery
Illusion + Suite

I am going to listen to them now.

Ha! Illusion Suite almost sounds like a parody of prog metal band names

Dream + Theater
Shadow + Gallery
Illusion + Suite

I agree! Though i interpreted the band name as homage to such prog metal bands. After listening their music, you may agree with me. :)

Parody encompasses but is not limited to homage, as far as I know. Parody includes humour, criticism or maybe even attack towards the material that is parodied.

I'll also give a + to checking out Haken again. Aquarius is ok, Visions is pretty awesome especially the title track, The Mountain is a fantastic emotional album, and the new EP is pretty solid too.

I've been listened to the new Anubis Gate album Horizons recently and that's pretty awesome prog/power metal that's sounds kind of "mainstream" if that's what you're going for right now. Hard for me to think of anything in this genre as mainstream when no one outside the listeners of it even know it exists but I get what you mean :)