Question- By the pain I see in others

extolfan

New Metal Member
Jul 24, 2006
California-USA
very clever song

My question is: what type of voice "effect" is Mike using during the verse parts?

Let me taste
Let me feel.................

Peace!

I think it was done post recording during the mixing stage, probably some sort of rapid tremolo automation done in Protools. Andy Sneap, the person who mixed it, did a similar thing to the vocalist of Arch Enemy in the song Leader of the Rats.

Good thing they did that vocals thing there. The actual song seems pretty weak, but I really liked the vocal effect there, too. I had been under the impression that Steven Wilson had done both albums, as well.

I like that part because it has death metal vocals during a mellow part. Totally took me by surprise the first time I heard that song.

lol the last part in BTPISIO always confused me until i played it backwards and found master's apprentices.

I can never understand if it was a screw-up or intentionally.

i'd say it's a mix of some tremolo with auto-panning and a frequency-filter/some distortion.
and no, it's not the same effect as in «leader of the rats». this might be a phaser or a flanger. it sounds similar because of the «movement» it creates in the vocals. while in «btpisito» they seem to move quickly from one side to another, in «lotr» (ha, same short form as lord of the rings! :worship: ) they seem to vary in deepness.

Maybe Mike's opinion of the song will change in the future ???
I think it's great from start to finish.
Vox are cool, riffs are sweet & the rhythm is crushing.
It remains one of my fav's

yeah the mellow part with the singing is f**cking haunting. Also BTPISIO goes well with Master's Apprentices. Actually I was listening to Opeth's discography in my sleep and I woke up to the ending of BTPISIO, the part with the backwards vocals :erk:

:Wreath: said:

thanks.htm_cmp_copy-of-blueprint110_bnr.gif