Question for guitarists..

I kinda like to look at technique and theory as learning a new language. The more proficient you are at the language, the more eloquent the poetry you can then create. At the end of the day, make no mistake, the "poetry" is what it's all about! 100 years from now, no one will remember jack-shit about Rusty Cooley's warp 9 arpeggios, but Pink Floyd and the Beatles will still be revered. (along with Opeth!) The great musicians, the artists with the great songs and records, will be the ones who endure through their art.

Don't get me wrong, I love shred as much as anyone, and used properly, it can add incredible dynamics to your music. But without a real composition behind it, all you're basically left with is cold, sterile, auditory math.

For me, true musical genius is found in the mastery of composition, contrast and the ability to convey an idea or an emotion through sound. You certainly don't have to know all the theory in the world to accomplish this, but it doesn't exactly hurt, either!

Looking back, I really do wish I would've gotten more heavily into theory earlier. It's much easier to learn when you're younger and pays serious dividends as your playing matures. I've always had a really good ear, though, much better than many of the more schooled guys I've played with over the years, so I was pretty lazy about formal studying early on. I practiced jamming, playing with and learning songs constantly, but a little more focus back then would've left a lot less catching up for me to do later! lol

Finding the right teacher is really important, too... 10 years ago, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to take lessons from Frank Aresti from Fates Warning (right after he left the band) for about 8 months before he moved back to Connecticut, and it inspired me to learn and improved my playing more drastically and in a shorter period of time than anything before or since. I'm still looking for someone who can teach half as well as he does!

Most of all, have fun, play what you love and practice, practice, practice!

ive been playing for about six-seven years now, i am now 20, but fell i have expression (thanks to Opeth), some shred abilities, i am a good arranger, and not too shabby at improvising.

I put this down to a bit of natural ability and the bands i listen to.
I feel if you listen to something enough you will just pick up the little traits that make it all come to be. For example.
If you listen to opeth a shit load you may start making songs that go for ten minutes, or have some acoustic parts in a song or put some really fab piano in a song. you get my drift?

also i play according to sound and feel. No scales, or shit like that. No stuff that puts a boundary around the way you play.
i like to be as free as i want to be in my guitaring. much like John 5!(except hes much much better lol)
its basically improvisation but without knowing what key your in or anything like that, until you figure out what feels good with, not the chord or pregression but sound. That in turn will give you your own knowledge of how you see certain things, and you will begin to make your own private patterns, not scales and making it into more free form than guided BS. if you dont understand what im trying to say tell me because im not too sure i do either!!

also i play according to sound and feel. No scales, or shit like that. No stuff that puts a boundary around the way you play.
i like to be as free as i want to be in my guitaring. much like John 5!(except hes much much better lol)
its basically improvisation but without knowing what key your in or anything like that, until you figure out what feels good with, not the chord or pregression but sound.

I agree with you about the importance of feel, but I probably should point out that John 5 (Lowery) is actually a very schooled and literate musician, who has formally studied multiple styles. He's an extremely talented and unique cat, to be sure, but make no mistake, he knows what key he's in!

I agree with you about the importance of feel, but I probably should point out that John 5 (Lowery) is actually a very schooled and literate musician, who has formally studied multiple styles. He's an extremely talented and unique cat, to be sure, but make no mistake, he knows what key he's in!

yes i dont doubt that for a minute, bu i do recall him saying in an interview something about he does not like scales. i thing it was in a TG mag

yes i dont doubt that for a minute, bu i do recall him saying in an interview something about he does not like scales. i thing it was in a TG mag

Hmm interesting. I still think the best creativity and emotion comes from being very well schooled in the instrument, that way you can translate what you feel into playing because you do have some rough guidelines you can follow. BUT it is def. good to think outside the box.

Hmm interesting. I still think the best creativity and emotion comes from being very well schooled in the instrument, that way you can translate what you feel into playing because you do have some rough guidelines you can follow. BUT it is def. good to think outside the box.

A world without guidelines = Chaos
A guitarist without guidelines = ?

guidelines was probably the wrong word. I meant that if you know theory then you know what fits together better and you have an easier time making things that you know will sound good than someone who doesn't know any and is just blindly stumbling around the fretboard.

guidelines was probably the wrong word. I meant that if you know theory then you know what fits together better and you have an easier time making things that you know will sound good than someone who doesn't know any and is just blindly stumbling around the fretboard.

I see, yes it would be a good idea to have at least some understanding of how to play the guitar, but from then on create your own guitar. so to speak.

There are plenty of musicians, especially in the rock/metal scene, who don't have any formal training on their instruments. I'm sure they know basic scale patterns etc, but they're not formally trained on it - Steve Harris and Chuck Schuldiner both come to mind here, off the top of my head. Just because John Petrucci lives by his theory, doesn't mean that you can't come across something that sounds good by "blindly stumbling around the fretboard."

Theory can't hurt you, but it also might not help you succeed with your musical vision.

There are plenty of musicians, especially in the rock/metal scene, who don't have any formal training on their instruments. I'm sure they know basic scale patterns etc, but they're not formally trained on it - Steve Harris and Chuck Schuldiner both come to mind here, off the top of my head. Just because John Petrucci lives by his theory, doesn't mean that you can't come across something that sounds good by "blindly stumbling around the fretboard."

Theory can't hurt you, but it also might not help you succeed with your musical vision.

I agree, i spose it all depends on what type of player you are

I'm going out of town to work for 4 months so I can't take lessons from my teacher anymore. Do any of you guys know a good website to learn guitar from? I don't mean all those beginner sites and what not, preferably something more advanced and free haha. Any help would be appreciated.

For me it's precision and composition. When I write, I like to be able to play the riffs I design or riffs from my bassist or other guitarist. But, nowadays, I've been spending more time lyric writing and being 100% accurate on all the songs we play or write.