Question for Music Freaks

Autumn Falls

Ace Harding, P.I.
Jul 9, 2001
Denton, TX
www.flickr.com
Hey all-

Well I just wanted to post to ask any of the music freaks here a question. I have a routine that I've actually been trying to break because I need money.. and this routine is going to a good record store and buying several cds every weekend. Now this weekend is special because tomorrow it is my girlfriend's and mine one and a half year anniversary and to celebrate she is driving us up to Maryland and we are going to go to a Record and Tape Traders which I've heard rock. Some of the cool things about it are you can listen before you buy and you can sell your old cds. Now anyway I just wanted to know if anyone here could suggest some killer music if you could.. well I figured out a way to make it easy, presentable, and the most helpful. Just follow this format..

[EXAMPLE]
Band: [BAND NAME HERE]
Description:[Type of music,why you like &c.]
Album:[Album to buy VERY IMPORTANT]

I will add some just for the sake of recommending great music.

Band: Anglagard
Description: I would describe them as amazing progressive folk-rock. I happen to have a thing for good folk music and I also love progressive rock so this band is sweet as hell. They are Swedish and so are the lyrics. You can find the cd the easiest at www.lasercd.com.
Album: Hybris (It's the one I have.. if they re-release Epilog I will be the first to order it!)

Band: Unicorn (A Dan Swano Project)
Description: This to is folky prog rock but it's quite amazing and it also has Dan Swano on it. The songs are catchy, Dan has a great voice and it's just all around interesting music. I recommend the song Hiding Again or The Boy and the Impossible.
Album: Emotional Wasteland

Well I hope this was helpful to some.. so come on and post your own suggestions!

Brandon

If you tell us a range of bands you like then you'll get much better responses.

Ive fallen in love with the following over the past few days, and i hate descriptions but these three bands seem to fall (ive only heard a few mp3s of each) into the melodic side of extreme progressive metal... 8 minute songs, always changing, acoustic passages, etc :
Agalloch, Autumn Leaves, Lilitu.

I dont know album names either (sorry!!), but maybe someone else can help..

Hrmm-

Well my favorite genres are prog metal and rock,jazz,fusion.. good folk.. some melodic death metal and some power metal. Yet I will listen to any reviews.. and I have the Agalloch cd.. it was good but didn't stay in my cd player for long at all. I will check out the other two... thanks!

Brandon

for anniversary why don't you guys just listen to depeche mode

band: depeche mode
description: rock, prog, dancing music
album: Exciter

Well since its your anniversary and all I would suggest some sexy melodic death. The sexiest album ever made in my opinion is:
AMORPHIS - TALES FROM THE 1000 LAKES
if you already have this one, try some early CoF, mainly dusk or crulety. Also check out May Result.

Band: Univers Zero
Description: Atonal progressive avant-garde chamber-rock from Belgium, very original and evocative drumming, chamber classical instrumentation (including bassoon used in a startingly original way). Some of the darkest and most sinister music in the world.
Albums: "Heresie", "Ceux du Dehors"

Distributed by Cuneiform Records.

D Mullholand

Band: The Tea Party
Description: (I'm not good at this) Rock with a middle eastern flair
Album: Edges Of Twilight

Band: Grip Inc.
Description: powerful metal
Album: The Power of Inner Strength

I assume you have Opeth :)

Symphony X's disc
V
progressive metal

Pain of Salvation's
The Perfect Element Pt. 1
Very progressive that gets a hold of your cd player and never wants to leave

Nevermore's
Politics of Ecstasy
Progressive metal that sucks you in to it's power

Liquid Tension Experiment
1 or 2
Progressive fusion metal without any singing

Happy shopping.....

Band: Dawn
Description:Very Good Black Metal
Album: Slaughtersun

Band: Dissection
Description: Black/Death Metal
Album: Storm Of The Light's Bane

Band: Sculptured
Description: Weird jazzy death metalish..or smth :D
Album: Apollo Ends

Originally posted by D Mullholand
Band: Univers Zero
Description: Atonal progressive avant-garde chamber-rock from Belgium, very original and evocative drumming, chamber classical instrumentation (including bassoon used in a startingly original way). Some of the darkest and most sinister music in the world.
Albums: "Heresie", "Ceux du Dehors"

Distributed by Cuneiform Records.

D Mullholand

:eek: I must check this out. I hope it's on audiogalaxy.

Originally posted by Despot
Well since its your anniversary and all I would suggest some sexy melodic death. The sexiest album ever made in my opinion is:
AMORPHIS - TALES FROM THE 1000 LAKES
if you already have this one, try some early CoF, mainly dusk or crulety. Also check out May Result.

YYYYYYEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Give that man a banana. Amorphis are the best man!!

For anyone who doesn't know (hang your heads in shame) this album is melodic death metal with finnish folk influences. This is also the BEST album ever recorded by ANYONE EVER. So not having this album condemns you to musical HELL forEVER.

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT

PS: Was 'Vempire' or 'Principle of Evil Made Flesh' ever released outside the UK? because they are BY FAR the best CoF records, but no-one else ever seems to recommend them. IMHO 'Dusk' was the last good CD they made.

PS: Was 'Vempire' or 'Principle of Evil Made Flesh' ever released outside the UK? because they are BY FAR the best CoF records, but no-one else ever seems to recommend them. IMHO 'Dusk' was the last good CD they made.

They are not as easy to find as later CoF. They are my favorites as well, by the way.

Aha I see

Well at least I'm not alone on that count. It's just that i never hear them mentioned anymore! I was beggining to wonder if only the later ones had any kind of international distribution. That truly would be a shame.

Band: Maudlin of the Well

Description: This amazing band is probably one better described to you by others, but I'll do my best. An american band, they blend jazz influences into a progressive dark metal sound they once described as "astral metal". They released two simultaneous albums this year, which are conceptually linked. The band consists of 10 or so members (11? 12? Something like that...) and they utilize sounds and instruments not usually heard in a metal context. Ambitious almost to the point of audacious. A much-discussed Opeth forum favourite.

Album: Bath
Album: Leaving Your Body Map

---

Band: Sigh

Description: Insane, keyboard-infused progressive former black metal band, with strange utilizations of sounds ranging from poppy hand-claps to video game-esque melodies, except on acid. Check out the insanity of "Ecstatic Transformation", or the turn-on-a-dime "A Sunset Song" which goes from pop to metal to jazz to metal to pseudo-disco with furious, psychadelic abandon.

Album: Imaginary Sonicscape

---

Band: Green Carnation

Description: 60 minutes, one track. You thought Edge of Sanity's Crimson was ambitious? Mostly clean vocals, a stylistic hybrid somewhere between Hollenthon's With Vilest of Worms to Dwell, Tiamat's Wildhoney, and the not-as-symphonic Therion tracks from Theli. Smooth, seamless, and beautifully dark.

Album: Light of Day, Day of Darkness

I picked these three (well, four, I see the Maudlin albums as one) simply because they're ones I happen to be listening to a lot right now.

If you dig Anglagard, you'll probably like these guys:

Band:Sinkadus
Description:Clean Electric guitar, flutes, keyboards,drums, bass, and cello, and is still heavier than most metal bands. THe music is a twisted, dark sounding style. Some of the most unexpected and uncommon melodies ever heard, and it just sounds amazing because you never hear that style of rhythms or melodies anywhere else. The greatest prog EVER.
Album:Cirkus

Alright well I went cd shopping last night and I got a decent haul. The store wasn't everything I heard it would be but it had a metal section so I didn't walk away empty handed.

Here's what I got in terms of metal:

Hollenthon- With Vilest of Worms to Dwell
Borknagar- Quintessence
Morbid Angel- Blessed Are the Sick
In the Woods- Three Times Seven on a Pilgrimage
Anathema- Judgement
Gwar- We Kill Everything (As funny as I expected...)

In terms of Prog this is what I got:

King Crimson- Discipline
Ark- Burn the Sun (I've had debut for awhile..)
Univers Zero- Ceux Du Dehors (Very original love Heresie)

All in all a good haul.. though I went a bit overboard I think... ooh well.

BTW at the Tower I go to John Scofield is going to be there next week.. is there anything by him I should pick up? I'm asking guitarists mainly.

Brandon

P.S. A lot of the bands you guys mentioned I already know about.. great stuff.. especially Maudlin of the Well and Green Carnation. Other then that I really want to find some Sinkadus.