question regarding live sound

SnidelyW said:
ok, i posted a negative comment about in flames at the soilwork forum because i really felt the fact that in flames had phenominal sound and soilwork didnt, that in flames were "reserving" the better sound for themselves - this was in regards to the 7/2 pittsburgh show -

the fact remains that soilwork sounded muffled at best, and in flames sounded really fantastic by comparison -

does each band have their own sound guy? does the in flames sound guy work sound for everyone?

why would soilwork and chimaira settle for a sub-quality sound when better sound was obviously available?

anybody want to take a crack at this conundrum?

At the Toad's show in NH, CT, they had seperate people do the sound checks.

Also, Daniels drums were set up before the show and the others set theirs up in front of them. While Chimaira was playing, one of the asshole crowd surfers knocked over half of the drums. the roadies ran out to fix it, but it screwed up the song.

Soilwork sounded good, and much better than their horrible studio recordings. I liked them live, but they are intolerable on CD. Chimaira was very good too. In Flames did sound better than anyone else, but if you watch them, they hit the notes more consistently. Soilwork missed a few notes completely and went half an octave lower then they should have. If you watch Jesper, Bjorn, or Peter, they hit all the notes exactly the same every time. their insturments also were differnent, and I think they are lower quality. The venue I was at had great acoustics for this kind of music, and I think that helped too, and I was even resting on the stag ewhile IF played. Maybe this will helkp explain a bit.

Steve

Read my response in that original thread. Soilwork probably don't have their own sound guy. Combined with the fact that as the show goes on more and more people come in that they have to adjust the sound as the show goes on because the sound waves bounce of the crowd. Its fact, trust me.

Mr. NoReaction said:
See, you should have made THIS thread before posting shit on Soilwork's board to get your facts straight first and avoid embarrassing yourself ... http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98556

for an explanation on why opening acts sometimes have shitty sound, check your stupid thread and read Battman's post ... should answer all your questions

opener's don't settle for lesser sound, it's a reality they have to deal with ... I got bootlegs of Soilwork from their tour with Hypocrisy where you see them talking in swedish to the soundman (probably Hypocrisy's) in between songs while playing around with their instruments until they get the sound they want ... hell, I even have a bootleg of In Flames from their tour with Earth Crisis where Anders asks the soundman if they could get a little more vocals in their sound after a less than stellar rendition of Bullet Ride

That is pretty much all I would say. Good post.

Steve

There are so many factors that can result in a band getting a bad sound, nobody inhere will be able to tell you exactly why.

My guess is that it's part fault of the sound man, part their playing(their music requires a lot of precision, which they probably can't handle outside of the studio), part their gear(read: wrong EQ'ing), bad mic'ing, etc,...

Turning up the PA less than the headlining act has nothing to do with getting a bad sound. If anything, PA's are usually turned up TOO loud, which really fucks up the sound.

Tebus said:
Dude... why do you say that kind of stuff? Of course it's your opinion, but saying things like that is exactly like what you just cut Dan Vengeance down for.

I know that, I'm just sick of saying I don't like them and why... THey suck is quite versatile, and that is my opinion.

Steve

There's no way this board is going to do well with all these idiots on it, so I come here less than other boards... just a waste of time...