question

Clifton

New Metal Member
Mar 3, 2007
on this interview with mikael I read that if opeth were to choose a religion they would choose satanism.
1st I think he was joking
2nd it does not make sense since that he has already decided what religion to choose when he 'plans' to become religious, why is he not already a satanist?
http://www.maelstrom.nu/ezine/interview_iss20_146.php

I asked this question because Im a Christian, note pls that not all christians are like all the douchbags who follow God tv, I love to listen to dark music, but I feel offended when someone offends God, and that is why I love listening to Opeth becuase Opeth's music is for everyone:) Furthermore I hate it when you are in a band and if you tell them that you are Christian they classify your band as a Christian band. As far as I know for example 2/3 of Dream theater are christians but they do not talk about Christ at all. Two thumbs up for the freedom of expression and open mindidness:))

As far as im concerned, religion has nothing to do with what music you listen to/like/play.

Im christian. Then agian, im not all that serious about it(IE Never go to church).

you cannot deny the contribution by such excellent bands as living sacrifice and extol, and I don't see anything wrong in expressing your beliefs in music. Anyway even if you're trying not to write religiously your beliefs will come up naturally when you write or compose. What I think is wrong in Christian rock is not the style in itself, because let's say it all what they are singing about is love, but the attitude of some of the fans who reason that you have to listen only to that style - you limit yourself. Here is the mistake because music is art, and if you limit yourself to one type of art you are limiting yourself, and your experience of the beauty of human creativity.

Note that he said if he HAD to choose.
He said previously that Satanism is the only religion that interests him.
...Like one might be interested in Greek mythology, I suppose.

I consider myself nonreligious (possibly antireligious in some cases) but I would also probably choose Satanism if I had to choose something. I've been wanting to get a copy of the Satanic Bible. I looked at a few pages of it on Amazon and it looks pretty awesome.

Dream theater are christians but they do not talk about Christ at all. Two thumbs up for the freedom of expression and open mindidness:))

They do have a religious feeling in a lot of their lyrics.

Mike likes "Dark" and mystery, and Satanism is more close to that than Christianity.

About 78% of Swedes belong to the Church of Sweden which used to be the state church until 2002 or something like that. So it's very likely that he was born as a Christian.
Peter once said they weren't religious in any way however not anti-religious.

Clifton, I'm a Christian myself (however I also listen to 'satanic' bands - I don't care much about that) and I know other Christians who really were hesitating to like Opeth at first but now they all think that Opeth are quiet O.K. ;)