question

let's say he is a satanist. what's it to us?

because, if the band members are satanists, your understanding of satanism will aid in the appreciation of their music. much like if you read about the meaning behind varg's screams, and the horrible production, and everything else that is terrible about burzum, you will understand and be able to appreciate burzum's music. :rolleyes: you're so shallow.

yah im the same way, im a Christian and many of the bands i listen to i dont agree with their religious beliefs. But so what? It's just music. Like the OP said, music is art and people shouldnt limit themselves.

That's like admitting that region limits everything! Unless someone by himself (like you) decides to put aside religion when it comes to music! Intresting! Think about it...

About 78% of Swedes belong to the Church of Sweden which used to be the state church until 2002 or something like that. So it's very likely that he was born as a Christian.
Peter once said they weren't religious in any way however not anti-religious.

Clifton, I'm a Christian myself (however I also listen to 'satanic' bands - I don't care much about that) and I know other Christians who really were hesitating to like Opeth at first but now they all think that Opeth are quiet O.K. ;)

Actually, I would consider most swedes atheist. Our "christianity" stretches about as far as buying christmas gifts :loco:

On a side note, I have no problems with christians/muslims/jews/whatever, but I have never understood why you feel the need to relate to an organized religion; you can't really agree with everything that is said in for example the catholic christianism (if you are catholic), or if you are a muslim why not say "yea, I believe in Allah, but what's that crap about not having sex before marriage? :Smokedev:"

because, if the band members are satanists, your understanding of satanism will aid in the appreciation of their music. much like if you read about the meaning behind varg's screams, and the horrible production, and everything else that is terrible about burzum, you will understand and be able to appreciate burzum's music. :rolleyes: you're so shallow.

OH REEEEEALLY? hahaha

is it really that necessary for mike to be a true satanist so that we interpret, say, the lyrics to ghost of perdition in a satanistic way? does a writer have to be a real killer to write about a murderer in the first person?

you, mister, are the one who is shallow.

OH REEEEEALLY? hahaha

is it really that necessary for mike to be a true satanist so that we interpret, say, the lyrics to ghost of perdition in a satanistic way? does a writer have to be a real killer to write about a murderer in the first person?

you, mister, are the one who is shallow.

no, but if the writer is a killer, and writes about murder in the first person, an appreciative listener should also be a murderer.

once again all the christians on this forum unite to complain about satanism in metal or whatever ...

hey, let's consider this: satanism has never slaughtered people, suppressed people, forbid people to do what they like to do, and so on ... let's think about christianity now, hmmmm, such a violent history!
ever wondered that real satanists use those symbols to contest christianity because it makes them sick to see what that religion has done to so many people and to our society!
every time I think about christianity and what it has done the past 2000 years, I feel sick. for me, and every other thinking human being, christianity is the same as hitler or stalin were!

I don't agree with you.
1. Christians are people who hold a belief and follow Christ, you need not be part of a Church or an instituiton. ie you need not attent the mass and read the bible, follow Christ's teachings and still be a Christian. For me there is no need to be baptised etc
2. Most of us Christians are against Satanists, because we are fed with the idea by the institutions, that Satanists desecrate for example the holy hosts, do blasphemies, burn churches etc etc now this kind of satanism is shit, it is the satanism practiced by people who in my opinion need help, or else they do these actions to look cool. At least if you don't believe in Christ, what the fuck let others who believe in Him to pracitice their beliefs.
3. The true Satanism is that advocated by Lavey which has to do with earthly pleasures and self satisfaction etc and Lavey as far as I know did not teach people to blow up churches.
4. The Church did a lot of wrong doings in the past including the crusades, and it is still encapsulated in mystery, but you cannot deny its contribution to humanity and the hundreds of missionaries it sends to countries in need. And remember one thing the church is made of people and people can be thwarted by sin, and people are different ex you cannot compare pope alexander 6th with the receantly deceased pope who was so close with his people and spread love throughout the world.

once again all the christians on this forum unite to complain about satanism in metal or whatever ...

hey, let's consider this: satanism has never slaughtered people, suppressed people, forbid people to do what they like to do, and so on ... let's think about christianity now, hmmmm, such a violent history!
ever wondered that real satanists use those symbols to contest christianity because it makes them sick to see what that religion has done to so many people and to our society!
every time I think about christianity and what it has done the past 2000 years, I feel sick. for me, and every other thinking human being, christianity is the same as hitler or stalin were!
This is true!

A human being is born to be free and live free and follow his heart.
Fear of dying and of the existence of an ultimate god that has to do with anything he does think and happens to him is implanted to him by people who want to take advantage of him.
What do you thing? that we are all ancestors of Adam and eve?
I say we all where monkeys that just evolved or maybe aliens.

Well catholicism and christianity are created 2007 years before, based on other religions, stories etc. human beeing has been around for much much longer, and I believe that speach is his own evolution and not that god just gave it to him. Would catholicism and christianity exist if there was no speach? for me they are the same.