Questions unexpectedly left out of the FAQ section

sclemur

Jul 23, 2002
Barcelona
Visit site
1) Marcel vs. Rob - who's faster..........at drinking beer?
2) Is the band going to do a 50 minute epic to show DT and Symp X who's the most kicking ass prog band right now?
3) Is the band going to play anything more than their own material during the concerts that will follow the release of the new album? Maybe some free jamming? Maybe some covers? (if so, any Zappa one?)
4) Which are the 5 (+/-1) all-time favorite CD's from each member of the band? And their personal influences?
5) Is the electricity consumption on a SC show higher than the beer consumption? (statistical data should be included)
6) Which amount of money would convince SC to make a commercial turn in their music?
7) Is any tour opening for Mariah Carey planned yet? What other bands (or solo artist) would SC like to open for or be opened by?
8) What will be the future of Dennis's drumkit as he matures as a drummer? Will it turn gigantic (a la Bozzio), or will it turn minimalistic (a la jazz players)?
9) Since Paul Gilbert covered Spice Girl's "2 become 1", Yngwie covered an Abba song, Doug Stapp covered Brittney's "Crazy" and John Petrucci covered the Simpsons main theme..... will Marcel ever consider covering a Ricky Martin tune?
10) Does the band know how beautiful, cheap and sunny is Spain for arranging a few tour dates? :)

1) Marcel vs. Rob - who's faster..........at drinking beer?
Marcel. Rob doesn't drink alcohol.
2) Is the band going to do a 50 minute epic to show DT and Symp X who's the most kicking ass prog band right now?
Nah :)
3) Is the band going to play anything more than their own material during the concerts that will follow the release of the new album? Maybe some free jamming? Maybe some covers? (if so, any Zappa one?)
We might do the occasional cover song as an encore when we headline (when we play over 1,5 hour). We never play covers when we play a limited set. No Zappa unfortunately. I'm a HUGE Zappa fan, but Zappa's music is too difficult to put into a Sun Caged jacket. Not necessarily technically, but as far as the "vibe" of the music goes. I don't think we are the right collection of musicians to reproduce that vibe well enough.
There will, however, always be some free jamming and improvisation going on when it fits in the set. We've always done this :)
4) Which are the 5 (+/-1) all-time favorite CD's from each member of the band? And their personal influences?
Infuences are on the website :)
5 cd's... Changes every couple of months. But Zappa's Joe's Garage, Iron Maiden's Powerslave and Steve Lukather's Candyman are always in there :) The other guys should reply to this too (I know they read the forum daily ;) )
5) Is the electricity consumption on a SC show higher than the beer consumption? (statistical data should be included)
Not as long as Marcel plays with us :p
6) Which amount of money would convince SC to make a commercial turn in their music?
N/A. We might do something commercial here and there (some of the guys already do), but Sun Caged is Sun Caged. We will play the style of music WE want to play. If someone offers us a rediculous amount of money to do something commercial, we might concider it. But we surely wouldn't do that under the name of Sun Caged.
7) Is any tour opening for Mariah Carey planned yet? What other bands (or solo artist) would SC like to open for or be opened by?
Working on the Mariah tour. More details as we get them ;)
Bands I personally would love to tour with:
- Zero Hour
- Evergrey
- Fates Warning
- Dream Theater
- Pain Of Salvation.
I believe we would fit with those bands nicely as their support act on a tour... Let the other guys answer this too :)
8) What will be the future of Dennis's drumkit as he matures as a drummer? Will it turn gigantic (a la Bozzio), or will it turn minimalistic (a la jazz players)?
It's getting smaller all the time. I once had a huge Dave Lombardo/Nicko McBrain kit with toms all around me. I'm much happier with my current setup. I doubt it would ever get any bigger. Maybe an extra cymbal here and there... If I might ever have a bigtime endorsement, I might go nuts just like Bozzio or Portnoy. Who knows ;)
9) Since Paul Gilbert covered Spice Girl's "2 become 1", Yngwie covered an Abba song, Doug Stapp covered Brittney's "Crazy" and John Petrucci covered the Simpsons main theme..... will Marcel ever consider covering a Ricky Martin tune?
10) Does the band know how beautiful, cheap and sunny is Spain for arranging a few tour dates? :)
Go arrange shows for us and we're there :)

Dennis

Here are a few more questions not mentioned in
F.A.Q.

1) Where does the band meet for rehearsals? (You all live quite far apart form each other)

2) Is Time Machine still active or has it been put on hold?

3) Are there any MP3 files available of the Dream Theater tribute sessions?

That's it for today. :)

Wouter

1) Where does the band meet for rehearsals? (You all live quite far apart form each other)
We usually rehearse in a city called Amersfoort where we rent a rehearsal space. This is pretty centered for us. We we also regularly rehearse in my home studio in Leiden.

2) Is Time Machine still active or has it been put on hold?
It's not an active band. When we're asked for a show, we do it, but we're not actively promoting TM. It's just for fun.

3) Are there any MP3 files available of the Dream Theater tribute sessions?
Nope. And it won't be because it sucks :) It weren't "sessions". Just one song we recorded. Ages ago. When we sucked even more than now ;)

Dennis

Redelijk said:
We usually rehearse in a city called Amersfoort where we rent a rehearsal space.

> Wow, that is only five miles from where I live!

Just one song we recorded. Ages ago. When we sucked even more than now ;)
Dennis

Oh come on! You're only saying this because you saw Freak Kitchen last night. You guys are still the best! :D

W.

I have read all the reviews of your promo 2002 demo and you sure get a lot of praise. I also saw some musician's spelled out their appreciation. Has everything been said about it so far or do you keep getting more enthousiastic reactions from well-known people in the business. I imagine the word must be spreading like a wildfire.

Wouter

We're receiving complimenting emails daily... Some are very flattering :)
We're also still receiving reviews of the demos, but we're not placing them on the site anymore.
The reviews were needed to show record companies how people think about our music.
Since there are actually several labels that want to sign us at the moment, and we're signing to one soon, there's no need for reviews of the demos anymore :)
So if you don't see new demo-reviews on the site, that doesn't mean people have stopped showing interest ;)

We're totally focussing on the album right now.
We recieved one mixed song today and it rocks. More info about that soon ;)

D.