Quick everyone, come here and point and laugh

OK, I'm really confused.

I was born in Victoria, lived in Adelaide, and then Canberra, then NSW.

Stras was a meat that had all sorts of lumps, bumps, bits of lip and arsehole strung through it. It was tasty, don't get me wrong, but there was often a little bit of tongue play to identify whether you swallowed, or spat the less identifiable bits out.

When I moved to Adelaide, we had fritz and sauce sandwiches, and ....yes,...:drool:..fried fritz for breakfast, on toast, with sauce.

It was still lips and arseholes, but was processed so smooth (read soapy) , that you could almost give it a dove logo.

Then to Canbloodyberra, where we had to learn about "devon" same as the Adelaide "fritz", and just as tasty. still makes a great fried breakfast.

NSW has the same protocol.

What really does piss me off 'though is that "scallops" in victoria are "tasmanian scallops" in NSW. Scallops in NSW are "potato cakes" in Victoria.

In Victoria, you can buy flake (shark) every night of the week. In adelaide, it was fridays only (something about mercury). In Canberra and NSW, they say "Oh, you mean hake". To which I reply "No, I mean flake, shark, you know".

Well we currently have a fish shop in NSW, run by ex pat Victorian Greeks. I ask for potato cakes, and I fucking get them. I ask for scallops, and I fucking get shellfish deep fried in batter.

And I can also get 60mm diameter pickeled onions to go with that.

(and they give me free softdrinks because I know the lingo, what's more)

But when I ask for flake, they get a sad look in their eyes, motion towards the fat frier, and state

"People in NSW would not know a decent pice of fish if it bit them on the arse".

Shannow I know what you mean Flake is "it"....Potato Cakes and scollops 2 different things...I was taught to call all this by my mum...we get the shits if we order that and they give us something else.My Dad was the same and my step dad grew up in England and knows what we mean to!

mental is right
chicken loaf rules, depsite the lack of chicken and chicken taste
and it's devon dammit!