Quick Maiden show report - Philly 7/23/03

Dark One

The Tainted Dogma
Feb 5, 2002
Southwest Florida
www.ultimatemetal.com
What a show in Camden/Philly last night! Just thrilling!!!! The best I've ever heard Maiden sound without a doubt! I ended up right in front of Dave Murray because my second row seats were actually unobstructed in the sense that the real first row (in the absolute center of the pit) is only like 20 seats long, with the 2nd row having like 45 seats, so I didn't have a seat in front of me and was able to stand right up against the railing in front of Dave!!!

They only played 13 songs, but get this, Philly got 22:58 or 11:58 pm or 2MTM or 2 Minutes to Midnight or whatever you want to call it instead of Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

The songs they left out that were on the Euro setlist were:

BYDTTS, Brave New World, 22 Accacia Avenue and Heaven Can Wait

Strange that they didn't play BNW, as I found out there actually was no curfew last night. The band didn't get on until 10:00 and played until 11:30.

The energy levels of both the crowd and the band were unbelievable. Absolute singalong madness reigned from the opening of Number of the Beast to the closing of Run to the Hills. Bruce had the crowd in the palm of his hand and he sounded flawless! He hasn't lost a step at all, he must take EXQUISITE care of those vocal chords. Got to see a huge Clansman Eddie, Harris and Dickinson both looking right at me and watching me sing along to the classics, Murray/Smith/Harris doing side by side by side solos right in front of me, drunken diehards trying their absolute hardest to dethrone me from my coveted first row position (to no avail, heh) and about 8 beautiful breasts (okay, just the same two flashed 4 different times, but they were outstanding, hehe).

My neck is sore, my throat is sore, I'm soooooooo tired, I'm hungover and I'm doing it all over again tomorrow night in Holmdel, NJ. What an incredible time. This is what rock and roll is all about. Oh yeah and then I'm going to Wacken next week. :tickled:

Dark One said:
They only played 13 songs, but get this, Philly got 22:58
They better do this in NJ dammit. I know it's old, but it's such a crowd anthem. It would be like Sabbath not doing War Pigs.
Bruce had the crowd in the palm of his hand and he sounded flawless! He hasn't lost a step at all, he must take EXQUISITE care of those vocal chords.
He must have them insured for much $$$$. When you hear live recordings of Maiden in the early 90's, its so amazing that he's actually singing better now 10-12 years on.
Oh yeah and then I'm going to Wacken next week. :tickled:
:bah:.....just kidding.....:Spin:

JayKeeley said:
They better do this in NJ dammit. I know it's old, but it's such a crowd anthem. It would be like Sabbath not doing War Pigs.

Yeah, hopefully the crowd's reaction to getting the song will entice them to leave that song in the set for the rest of the tour.

JayKeeley said:
He must have them insured for much $$$$. When you hear live recordings of Maiden in the early 90's, its so amazing that he's actually singing better now 10-12 years on.

I'm sure you're right on that one, man was his voice fresh last night. The cool thing about the show tomorrow is that they're off today, so you know they'll be recharged and ready to rock the house down.

JayKeeley said:
:bah:.....just kidding.....:Spin:

Ooooops, sorry man, I know you were only kidding and everything, but I definitely should watch it with any Wacken hype stuff, it's just common courtesy.

Ooooops, sorry man, I know you were only kidding and everything, but I definitely should watch it with any Wacken hype stuff, it's just common courtesy.
Absolutley not - I don't want you to. I want you to hype the hell out of it - come on man, it's like a pilgrimage and you shouldn't have to feel guilty and wotnot. This is your forum too don't forget, so have fun and post what you like. What else are you going to do - work?! :lol:

By the way, I started a Wacken thread in the General Music Discussion forum (trying to sell the tickets we don't need), and a couple of people have mentioned wanting to meet up with other UM'ers: '~Ulvedal~' and someone you apparently know from the BW&BK fest, 'wayland smithers'.

JayKeeley said:
Absolutley not - I don't want you to. I want you to hype the hell out of it - come on man, it's like a pilgrimage and you shouldn't have to feel guilty and wotnot. This is your forum too don't forget, so have fun and post what you like. What else are you going to do - work?! :lol:

:lol: Cool. Just as long as you know I'm sensitive to the B.S. that you're going through man. :)

JayKeeley said:
By the way, I started a Wacken thread in the General Music Discussion forum (trying to sell the tickets we don't need), and a couple of people have mentioned wanting to meet up with other UM'ers: '~Ulvedal~' and someone you apparently know from the BW&BK fest, 'wayland smithers'.

wayland smithers??? Hmmmm... no bells rung, probably someone I'd know if I saw in person or something. I'll check it out.