A Fair Judgement
Deliverance
Windowpane*
Closure*
Ghost Rev
Baying of the Hounds
Grand Conjuration
Demon of the Fall (encore)

* During the interlude (!), I hung out with Juliya from Fuse TV for a few minutes in the lobby. She looks like she's lost 20lb -- pretty fit in real life, I must say.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Dark One got us front row (almost center) seats. Yep, it was a seated venue and there wasn't anything between us and the stage. It was all quite well to do. Remember, they even had ballerinas open up the show. :loco: That looked ridiculous, but once the girls were in the normal dress gear, they looked kinda hot, hanging out at side stage.

Got a picture taken on my camera phone just to show off to Zod (I know he's a fan, heh) -- I asked some guy to take it, and he must have had fucken cerebral paulsey or something. I can't imagine how much he must have been shaking, so the picture came out a little blurry.

Anyway, she's totally into herself (as you can imagine) and she pretty much nuzzled into my neck as the picture was taken. It was all quite arousing. :tickled: Seriously though, I was never into her, but in real life, she's ripped. She's definitely been on the treadmill or so it seems.

I text messaged Zod (who was stuck inside listening to "Windowpane") but he didn't respond, so I went back into the venue:

ZOD: *mesmerised by Opeth* Yeah, Opeth go! Rock on! (etc)
JK: Hey Zod, that Juliya bird from Fuse TV is out in the lobby all by herself!
ZOD: *runs out the door*

Haha, something like that. :loco:

May as well cross post my thoughts:

Other than The Night and the Slient Water the show was a complete letdown. Instead of playing older classics that were not a part of the current tour they decide to play A Fair Judgement and Windowpane. Everything else other than these three songs have been played on the tour so far.

I mean, come on, A Fair Judgement and Windowpane instead of something like The Twilight Is My Robe, In Mist She Was Standing, Apostle In Triumph, Nectar or even Black Rose Immortal???? Shit, I would've even taken April Ethereal, When, The Moor, Serenity Painted Death, The Face of Melinda, By The Pain I See in Others and on and on and on over those two.

Complete lack of respect for the older material. I know they're supposed to promote Ghost Reveries for Roadrunner and the later releases are what they identify more with lately, but this was supposed to be a SPECIAL show - an exception to the regular "Johnny Come Lately" setlists. A night where ALL parts of their catalogue get celebrated with EQUAL importance and instead we get the same old, same old save for a few tidbits.

Yes The Amen Corner and Under The Weeping Moon are great addtions to this tour's setlist, but they certainly were not exclusive to this show whatsoever.

As always, the songs they did play were played well enough and everything, but it simply wasn't treated like the special night it should've been.

No one's going to be able to sugarcoat it for me either unless you've never seen them live or only one other time or something - then I can understand why you would've been blown away by it. But for someone who has seen them in concert multiple times in the past 5 years or so and hoping for something truly unique given the writeup about the show on the band's website and all the hype surrounding it?

A gigantic, monumental and colossal letdown.

Crimson Velvet said:
They played "The Night and the Silent Water"? That's kinda odd, because Mikael stated that he really disliked that song...

I know he's stated that they would never play it live, but not sure if he ever said he disliked it. Honestly though, I wouldn't know. I did read recently that they HATE the production on Morningrise and he mentioned this again last night. In introducing the song, he said, "We don't like the production on the CD but whenever we jam this song it always sounds really great" -- or something to that effect.

Last night was the FIRST TIME they had ever played that song EVER.

Cross post #2

General Zod said:
Wow. Definitely surprised by your strong reaction. Let me ask you, what could they have done, to make this show meet your expectations?

Simple, they could've made the show billed as something truly special, "special". Here, as you know, was the setlist:

Under The Weeping Moon - Not unique to this performance - but acceptable. The only Orchid track played?

The Night and the Silent Water - Highlight of the evening for me, the perfect example of the type of exclusive song I was looking for at this show. The only Morningrise track played?

The Amen Corner - Not unique. The only My Arms track played? Demon... doesn't count.

White Cluster - Not unique. The only Still Life track played?

The Leper Affinity - and here the show takes an out of control spiral downward. Nice song, but again, far from exclusive. The only Blackwater Park track played?

A Fair Judgment and Deliverance - Nothing special IMO followed by the same old, same old. As much as I enjoy hearing Deliverance, it's been on every setlist they've played since the album came out. Would it have killed them to attempt something like By the Pain I see in Others or even Wreath here?

Windowpane and Closue - Horrible IMO. Having to endure Windowpane at the expense of older classics is one of the unforgivable events of the evening. Also, we have heard the entire Damnation album performed live on a previous North American tour - two songs from this album were simply not necessary at the expense of one track each from the first five albums.

The three Ghost Reveries tracks - not only were they not exclusive to the show, but we get THREE songs from this on a night advertised as celebrating the band's entire history with equal importance.

Encore - a simple bonus, no one, not even the band was expecting, I won't begrudge them this song, even though it was still the same old same old.

The bottom line is that these are the only songs out of EVERY OTHER F*CKING SONG THEY COULD'VE CHOSEN that were exclusive to this show on the current tour:

The Night and the Silent Water
A Fair Judgment
Windowpane

And those three songs are supposed to satisfy what the show was billed to be?? I'm sorry, but this was the night where Opeth should've had the autonomy to pick any song they wanted without worrying about catering to Roadrunner or about playing "fan favorite" type songs. So what if they made mistakes, 3/4 of the fans wouldn't even notice, and I doubt the other 1/4 would've cared.

So, to revisit, what could they directly have done to make this show meet my expectations? Take out at least six of the songs on that joke of a setlist and insert any six of the following songs:

In Mist She Was Standing
The Twilight Is My Robe
The Apostle In Triumph
Advent
Nectar
Black Rose Immortal
April Ethereal
When
Godhead's Lament
Benighted
Moonlapse Vertigo
Face of Melinda
Serenity Painted Death
Dirge for November
The Funeral Portrait
Harvest
Wreath
By the Pain I See In Others

That's 20 songs right there that they could've chosen from to make make the show feel more exclusive and special. I was only asking for six.

This was a night for Opeth to celebrate their history and bond with their longtime fans and supporters (of which I've been as prominent as any and have no problem saying it). I feel alienated, deceived and a little bit betrayed. The new album is not representative of the quality I've come to expect from them and this little stunt serves to solidify my growing displeasure.

I stand by my opinion and feel justified for doing so.

Jason

so wait, was this some kind of accoustic set? ... i dont' get the whole theater seating thing ...
I am imagining polite applause between songs not a metal show.

Crimson Velvet said:
He did. He said the riffs were so "old fashioned" or something like that...

Guess he changed his mind...

Yeah he probably changed his mind. I will say, die hard fans like Dark One were pretty pleased to hear it because they thought the same as you, that Opeth wouldn't choose that song -- and so through some 'process of elimination', I think they were expecting "Black Rose Immortal" but alas....

[see above for Jason's comments]

Yeah, I purposely skipped Opeth last time they came around, because they SUCK as picking their setlists... :)

I would love to see Silent Water though! I really like that song..

lurch70 said:
so wait, was this some kind of accoustic set? ... i dont' get the whole theater seating thing ...
I am imagining polite applause between songs not a metal show.

No it was a full blown regular set, with a big video screen behind them playing a slide show of Travis Smith artwork (lots of Blackwater Park type imagery of forests and graveyards etc).

It was billed as a "Special Night" where they played songs from every album so they chose this upscale theater.

And yes, there was polite applause between songs -- but not sure if you've ever seen Opeth live, but do not think "Slayer", it's actually a very subdued audience. Remember that their songs keep switching from fast to slow so there isn't really a build up of momentum.....

ugh ... Zod offered me a spare ticket ... thank God I went to a strip club instead :loco:

Damn, I am going to see them for the first time, and I thougth it was the regular set list, I want to see anything off of Mourning Rise or Orchid.