We went to see Opeth last night

lurch70 said:
there are so many wrong things about it ... considering the show was aimed at basically their hardcore fans ... which I would assume would be totally and completely familiar with their ENTIRE catalog

Not that the point warrants much response, however, I'm told to "deal with it" when I've been "dealing with it" at every show the band has played since they starting playing shows in the U.S. Just as you say, this particular show seemed a perfect way for the band to satisfy the hunger many of the hardcore fans have had for a show equally balanced between older and newer material. And it's not just the first two albums either, the first FIVE albums were relegated to one song apiece with the exception of Demon of the Fall being tacked on as an afterthought due to the band having an extra 10 minutes to deal with at the end of the set.

My 7th time seeing Opeth, and my last. Really, it has little to do with last night's performance. They just aren't what I want in a live performance any longer. The magic is gone. And if they continue to write crap CDs like "Ghost Reveries", it's really a moot point anyway. That said, the performance was strong. Unfortunately, the set list wasn't. As Dark One said, if you're going to call a performance "special", then you should take steps to make it "special". If you don't count "Demon", which they admittedly had no intention of playing, they played one song from each of the first four discs. So, apparently Opeth view their catalog as follows:

Damnation + Ghost Reveries >>> Orchid + Morningrise + My Arms, Your Hearse + Still Life

A shame really. There was an opportunity to share some great music last night, and instead they opted to play songs for their new audience, not their long time fans. That's certainly their perrogative, just as it's my perrogative not to go to any more of their shows.

Zod

I'm not even sure I'd like to hear In Mist she Was Standing played by Opeth now.. but I'd buy a ticket :D

nemeta206.jpg

Missed this show despite the "chronology" billing because I've seen Opeth four times in a three year span, and I'm not kicking myself afterward because besides some of the early material (Amen Corner! Silent Water!), the set is mostly predictable, and Opeth in a seated venue (even one where two of my greatest live experiences occured) just doesn't sound right to me.
Oh yeah...I wouldn't stop to piss on that ignorant bitch Juliya.

I saw Hermano in a bar once and beforehand the TV's were playing some show with Juliya on it. That chick fucking rules with the mute button on, I tell you what.

I remember the entire Palladium screamed for that ugly cunt to get off of the stage at the NE Hardcore/Metalfest. Good times, even though the show pretty much sucked.

MFJ said:
I remember the entire Palladium screamed for that ugly cunt to get off of the stage at the NE Hardcore/Metalfest. Good times, even though the show pretty much sucked.

Really? :tickled: Oh man, tell me more. Was she presenting between songs or something?

The only time I've ever seen anyone booed off stage was when NIN supported Guns n Roses. Trent & co barely got through the second song and then they just walked!

MFJ said:

That's odd, since Fuse pretty much plays 100% of the garbage you might find at that festival.

JayKeeley said:
Really? :tickled: Oh man, tell me more. Was she presenting between songs or something?

Well, she and this other dude were auctioning off a BC Rich Warlock inbetween sets. People were just yelling shit like "you retarded bitch, get off the stage!" or "COCKSUCKER!!!" etc, etc, etc.

And NIN opened for GnR? I'm glad they got booed off stage... they shouldn't waste their time on a crowd that consists of 90% retards.