R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner, May 13, 1967 – December 13, 2001

While Chuck was a good guy, he really was no Quorthon! I'll have an extra beer tonight for Chuck, but I'm going to have to side with Dodens in that Bathory >>>>>>>> Death

I wasn't going to say anything at all if The Butt didn't start being a faggot about how everybody should be crying in their sleeves about some dude dying 8 years ago. He's lucky. Normally these threads are trolled by ANUS types posting stuff about Chuck was a born-again homosexual who died of AIDS. I was just pointing out that not everybody thinks Chuck's accomplishments and contributions were as significant.

Eff the guys from Anus. Their hate comes from non-metal places.

Not that it matters what I think, but I personally am of the opinion that Possessed was much more influential in the beginnings of death metal. I don't agree with the title "father of death metal", when applied to Chuck. But then neither did he. But he was there at that time and did contribute to that whole thing. I think he was talented, and his talent increased over time. I think his music got better as time progressed.

To say Chucks accomplishments and contributions were less significant that average is ignorant.

I don't value people more or less. Everyone dies, people die all the time. big deal

I think it is human nature to place differing values on people. And I don't mean objective values, I mean subjective values. I could objectively say that your sister has as much value as my own sister, but if they both died, I would feel a greater loss over my own sister. I would expect you to do the same, but I don't know you.

People who take a special interest in a given area (music in general, a music genre, a sport, a scientific discipline, whatever) often feel the loss of a person who they feel was important within said area more acutely than they feel the loss of people who die, who are not involved in anything that knowingly touches their lives.

Any of this sound familiar?

I think it is human nature to place differing values on people. And I don't mean objective values, I mean subjective values. I could objectively say that your sister has as much value as my own sister, but if they both died, I would feel a greater loss over my own sister. I would expect you to do the same, but I don't know you.

People who take a special interest in a given area (music in general, a music genre, a sport, a scientific discipline, whatever) often feel the loss of a person who they feel was important within said area more acutely than they feel the loss of people who die, who are not involved in anything that knowingly touches their lives.

Any of this sound familiar?

Yeah, I understand, but seperate a person and their interest/professions from their personal life. I feel relation to lyrics and music,etc.. not the person. I do not know chuck and have never meet the person,etc...

Understood. I think most people probably overly personalize and romanticize their "relationships" with musicians. I am probably guilty of this to an extent with some musicians, and probably do with Chuck. But I try not to react based on it.

I did like the direction of Death's later music, and would have definitely liked to have had more.

Chuck was Metal as Fuck...He hated Labels, His music covered almost every genre of Metal and didn't give a fuck what people thought of him and his progression through each album.

Voice of the Soul > Bathory's Disco

Coincidently I've been listening to Death today and yesterday more than the usual. RIP Chuck, Godfather of the death metal.

Chuck was Metal as Fuck...He hated Labels, His music covered almost every genre of Metal and didn't give a fuck what people thought of him and his progression through each album.

Voice of the Soul > Bathory's Disco

Yup.... in fact, just about every death song is better than Bathory's disco. Chuck could play better music with his dick.